MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

Blade geometry & steel recommendations for an EDC folder blade?

Hi!

A short preface: I am new to designing folders. Up to now I have only experience with fixed knives (camp knives that is) and I am quite sure to have a good understanding of what is important regarding steel choices and heat treatment against the background of the intended use of a knife.
So far I have used two rare German steels called 1.2631 (X50 CrMoW 9 1 1) and 1.2552 (80 WCrV 8) as well as Bohler Uddeholm's Vanadis 4. For a fixed knife I would use any of these steels again because they all performed extremely well 100% of time even under adverse conditions. I also have some experience with INFI, however INFI is a proprietary steel of Busse Combat and not available to the public. None of the steels I have used for my larger knives or that I have experiences with is regarded as stainless.

The Folder: I will use the folder as an EDU, I am not going to abuse the blade, it will see cutting on a daily basis, cutting mainly paper, copper wire as well as gammon or cheese during morning breaks or steaks at a BBQ. Maybe it will see some wood carving action on occasion. The blade should hold an edge quite long, I do not care about field sharpening/stropping the blade.

At present, both S30-V and BG-42 seem to be the hip steels, what are the alternatives? Are there any? Which one of the two steels is better and why is it better? What hardness (HRC) should I aim at? Recommended heat treatment to achieve a very fine grain?

The folder I have designed features a 3-1/2" drop point blade, the blade is appr. 1-3/16" high, the grind line goes right along the spine, primary grind is full flat. I would like the blade to be 0.020" thick behind the bevel. Any objections on blade geometry?

As for the folder blade I am looking for a stainless steel that is readily available in dimensions of 1-9/16" x 5-1/8" x 3/16", precision flat ground, preferably from bar stock.

Thank you very much for your feedback and help!

Best regards!

Mark23

Last edited by mark23; 07-14-2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Master

I can't comment on the steel since I'm a tool steel kinda guy, but since you also asked about geometry... I'd suggest a convex since you said you want it to hold an edge for a long time and you plan on cutting wire.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Did I read that correctly? Do you want the bar of steel to be 9/16ths (more than half an inch) thick? Probably a mis-print. Anyway, you would probably have a very difficult time getting S30V or BG-42 in that size, and precision ground in that size isn't likely unless someone grinds it for you. Either of those steels would be fine.

Why not use the steels you are already familiar with? It's hard enough building that first folder without adding additional learning curves. There's nothing wrong with tool steel folder blades - just look at the popularity of D2 in folders ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Ups! Thanks for the hint, Ray, instead of 9/16" it should read 3/16" for the stock bar's thickness. I will correct that in my first post.
I was looking for some stainless steel because it tends to be more sweaty in a pocket than in a leather or kydex sheath on your belt.
The konvex grind together with a konvex edge sounds like an option, my fixed knives all have a konvex grind.
Thanks!
Best regards!
Mark23
Old 07-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Both the S30V and BG-42 are available in 3/16ths thickness but, to the best of my knowledge, no one currently offers them in precision ground. Of course, you can have that done at any machine shop.

If that isn't an option, then 440C and ATS-34 are available already precision ground, as is D2 if you'll consider an almost stainless steel. I believe that 154CM may also be available in p.g. form . Any of these steels would readily perform the tasks you specified.........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Skilled

Be careful at this stage and I would suggest that you try one of the fine steels Ray has listed. I am a big fan of D2 but can hardly argue with 440C or ATS 34 as well as 154 CM. All fine steels and many a knife has been made out of 01 with great results too. I really think using these steels is the right thing to do and the best choice.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Skilled

You can also go with Sandvick 12c27 or RWL-34 both should be readily availible in Europe. Or Damasteel thats made from stainless.

Personally I like a flat grind. with a single bevel to the edge, easier to sharpen. OK I read that and it doesn't make sence, flat grind on both sides and then only one angle transition (one per side of blade) to the edge. no secondary bevels.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-15-2004, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast

As I am talking about a folder blade I'd prefer the S30-V over the BG-42. I like the S30-V better because it contains less molybdenum and more vanadium instead. Molybdenum tends to build up rather large carbides while vanadium carbides are pretty hard and much smaller thus a finer grain can be achieved, AFAIK.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Mark23

Last edited by mark23; 07-15-2004 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Mistype

Tags
blade, knife, knives