MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Dennis, the way you have added the search function is helpful and informative.

I have no problem with yours. Good job.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I strongly agree that both the 'how' and the 'why' are very important. Ideally, every one should aspire to understanding both elements and I also agree that Frank's explanation was among the best technical descriptions I have read on the subject. Further, I am glad it's in this thread so that the more technical discussion will be there for the advanced student who may find it in the future.

Sometimes though, you can have too much information. Those with a lot of experience in a given subject sometimes forget the hurdles they had to clear to gain that knowledge and understanding (and the solid groundwork those hurdles provided to their understanding) and may attempt to teach at a level above the point that the student can absorb. That's why I generally take as simple an approach as possible to any of these questions.

If Omega (who started this thread) or the next Newbie who Searches it out can absorb Frank's commentary and use it to understand the question he asked then I think that's great and he'll be better off for it. But, if he is not yet ready or able to understand a technical explanation like that then I don't want him to feel frustrated and unable to continue due to a belief that unless he can understand those theories he cannot proceed.

Maybe I'm over reacting but we don't all learn the same way....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Skilled

This newbie's humble oppinion:

I agree with both points of view. Searching the archives provides me with access to a wonderful wealth of information. But to use this alone would be less effective.

Asking questions without searching the archives would likewise (in my case at least) be less effective, and place an undue burden on the 'answer guys'.

The real potential is tapped when I do my "search button research" first, and then follow up by asking questions to fill in the voids or to get points of clarification. My hope is that this lightens the burden on the 'answer guys' and hopefully adds new useful (vs. redundant) info to the searchable archive for the next guy.

-Ben
Old 02-13-2004, 06:00 PM

To my way of thinking Ben, that's exactly the right way to do it. Thank you, it does help...........

Old 02-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Skilled

Something else I wanted to mention... My comment might have sounded like I view the bbs as just a database only and that's not the case. This isn't just a data repository, it's also a community and that aspect is just as important to me - and being a community I think it's important that there is open discussion and converstation as well. I didn't mean to sound like I want to just come here to strip information from anyone. I enjoy the friendship and comradery every bit as much as the collective wisdom. I just wanted to say thanks to eveyone.

-Ben
Old 02-14-2004, 12:12 PM

I agree totally about the community and I hope you'll be able to join us on the Paltalk forum this Sunday. If you've missed that announcement, it's posted on the Newbies Forum.........

Old 02-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Master

I'm like Ray in that I use the 10 degrees (plus or minus) but I don't figure it for each folder be they short or long, and like Ray says it works for me every time on every size folder without having to measure and worry it won't work.I cut this to within 3/16"of the outside edge of the pivot pin. Changing this distance could be the reason for some finding these figures don't seem to work for them. As I wrote before I use the 1/8" thickness bar, 7/8" from the 120 grit belt to cut the same angle every time. The fact that the liner spring is long or short doesn't have to be concerned with. Frank

Old 02-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Skilled

Well... In my opinion I think that the question should be asked first and then the search button used. And I'll tell you why.

Suppose someone new has come to the forums and this person may have the perfect answer to the question that has been asked a thousand times without the perfect answer. If this person doesn't see the question then he may never think to give the answer.
And I can't tell you how many times I have revisited a problem on my own and not come up with a satisfactory answer only to have one of those head slappers when someone totally ignorant askes the question why and I set about explaining it and that light turns on. So somes times I learn more from answering a question that asking it. If repeated questions albeit from different people annoy you, then why are you here? I think we all have something to learn from those questions if we look at it right. anyway thats my drift on it.

Jerry

Jerry
Old 02-25-2004, 11:39 AM

Both your points seem valid, Jerry. As with most things though, there is a flip side.

If the old question is asked and no such new person is available with a new answer then the answers given will likely be the same ones given before and a Search would have found them. I think you might be right that we could miss getting a new answer if the question isn't asked but I feel like that's a statistically small percentage for the most common Newbie questions.

If that Newbie finds an answer that solves his problem even though the hypothetical New Guy might have a better answer then the Newbie is still able to make progress and we .might miss out on seeing a better answer. Chances are, armed with his new answer the Newbie will still want to ask a (now informed) question on the subject and, once again, the New Guy gets his cjance.

If the Newbie doesn't find the answer for any reason - bad search parameters or the answer just isn't there - then the question will still get asked and the New Guy gets his chance.

I also agree that answering questions is a great way to learn. Still, writing the same response 100 times while waiting for that one head slapping epiphany that might change the answer seems like a poor bet and a waste of disk storage (which translates to slower Search speeds and so many answers on the same subject that the New Guy's miracle answer doesn't get found by the next Searcher). If I should happen to be lucky enough to have one of those epiphanies then I feel very confident that some Newbie will indeed ask the question again and allow me or the New Guy to use the new answer.

In my opinion, the Search feature is a valuable resource and will continue to be as long as we use and maintain it wisely. Using it shows respect for the many people who give selflessly of their time and effort to provide the information that makes up the data base. These answers will still be in the data base long after all of us AND the New Guy have moved on.........

Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Skilled

Well Ray, one thing is for sure you certainly spend more time answering questions than I do, an more time that most others on the forums also. So I have to respect your point of view. and I really appreciate your time, as I am too old to figure all of this stuff out for myself. I only hope that someday I will be able to join you in anwering some of these questions, but I fear that I will always have more questions that answers

anyway thanks again for your time.
Jerry

Oh! and the above goes for everyone of you great people that help us newbies out.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:26 PM

Thank you, Jerry. Everyone has something to contribute and that includes the Newbies. You, for example, have prompted one of the more detailed and in depth answers that I have come up with so far to the question of using the Search . That serves to prove your point and maybe helped me to have a small epihany at the same time........

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knives