MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-10-2001, 09:59 AM
Mike Conner

Bill,
If you have a lathe, you can make your own step drills.
Just need a square piece of grinding stone or course whetrock. Clamp the grinding stone in the took holder and grind down the tip of the bit. Works real good and a whole lot cheaper than having to buy the bits. Just go slow so as not to heat the bit too much.
You could probably accomplish the same results using a drill press and a cross slide table. I maight try that next time.
Just food for thought.
Mike
Old 03-10-2001, 10:52 AM
Bill Foote

Thanks Mike, good idea. That 605 kit has given me inspiration to make my own folder. I sold two of them making sure the customer understood they were a kit.
I had gotten the Micarta predrilled and just had to sand them down. It took about two hours from start to finish for one kit. It's given me inspiration to make my own. I've ordered a foot of 416SS and some SS liner sheet. I got "How to make folders" and am looking forward to making my first.
I talked to Darrell Ralph, he made the blade that long so it will be perfect after a couple sharpenings. The trick to getting the blade centered is loosening the spacer screws and twisting it in your hand, then retightening. That probably goes with all liner locks.
Old 03-10-2001, 01:02 PM
CKDadmin

I wanted to update this thread ... the kit is now in the ez-shop online store. I was feeling really bad about being so far behind, so we knocked it on out!

Let's see some finished work, if anyone makes another. I can see that kit in a million different handles. I'd be interested in what looks come forth.

Alex
Old 03-11-2001, 01:35 AM
Bill Foote

Here's one with a G10 handle and the bead blast finish it comes with.

Old 03-11-2001, 02:05 AM
ansoknives

Ok I will try it out. Alex just send one out to me! I will post a picture in return
Old 03-11-2001, 02:38 PM
CKDadmin

Bill ...

My first thought when I saw the kit was G-10. I can see that you and I think alike.

Question: Is this kit easily broken down to expose the componants?

I thought it might make a good little learning aid for someone trying to understand the process of building their own folders ... plus, the style is very cool.

Jens ...
Come off the hip with some of that Anso fortune, dude. We know you've got it! All I see is everyone buying Anso's now days ... Funny thing about being "the man". You can't hide any more ... :

Alex
Old 03-11-2001, 06:09 PM
Bill Foote

The kit is easy to break down. All screw together. All you need is a T6 and T9 Torx. It comes with two tube spacers between the liners, but I made a full length spacer out of Micarta.It includes a pocket clip. It's a good way to see how they're made.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:34 PM
CKDadmin

Bill,

Do you recommend this one as a good starter?

Also, speaking of the wrenchs, here's what TKS is packaging in the kit for $39.95

"This kit includes stainless bolsters, stainless liners with pre cut spring lock set and with ball bearing in place. Torx head screws, Teflon washers, standoffs, pivot pin and pocket clip. The AUS 8 drop point blade has a fine bead blast matte finish and is Cryogenically treated and re-tempered for increased edge holding. Two torx wrenches, assembly instructions, parts list and diagram included."

Old 03-12-2001, 12:15 AM
Bill Foote

It's a really good liner lock starter. It's very simple to assemble. I'm gonnna try a lockback kit, they require more assembly time, peening and lock adjustment, and that's a good thing if you want to learn.
Old 03-12-2001, 02:02 AM
CKDadmin

Bill,

I fixed your link to display the knife right in the post. You can hit the "edit" button on the actual post to see the code [img]http:// tags.

I wanted to show off your work![/img]
Old 03-13-2002, 05:25 PM
TopKatz

sweet 605

I cant wait to get one on these ! the Tulsa show is next month,,,,,i will get one there ...iam new to knife making and this is what i want to start with,,,it is a nice looking knife !

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives