MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Living Legend

At a cross roads

Hello all,

Got to say that working in the knife shop has gotten to be more of a chore then fun. I've been making less knifes and more excuses as time passes. I can even blame the heat as am just not trilled any more either in the process or the end product.

Some of it might be a boredom but it has been going on for quite a while.

While I'm not throwing everything out right now there will probably be very few knives in the future.

Jim

Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Skilled

I go in waves with my knife making. And sometimes I feel I get in a makers funk. But then I work on a blade shape I've never tried before and get excited about it.. Hopefully it's just a little phase for ya Drac.
~Nate
Old 07-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Skilled

I still enjoy making knives, but, this time of year in Texas is tough. I've got a window unit in my garage that helps some if you get out in the morning or after sunset.

I heat treated a blade yesterday afternoon with my propane forge and it was miserable.

Actually this year hasn't been to hot.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Drac
I think we all go through these spells, when mowing the lawn is more exciting than going into the shop. Usually it goes away after a while, or completely reorganizing and cleaning my shop really gets me going. Usually half way through the cleaning process. Try something completely different. Ever made a miniture, or a gentlemans knife. How about a dostors knife or a fruit knife or if you are already extremely talented try making a 27 blade barral folder.
Just some thoughts.
Steve

Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Steel Addict

I'm going thru the same thing, pard..like the old song says,"the thrill is gone"...been paying more attention to my music than the knifemaking for about 3 mos now. I designed and built a B-Bender for my telecaster, may try to sell a few this fall..just something different, you know....when you're learning something new, i guess it just holds your interest more, I dunno....
Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Skilled

The reason I hate doing kitchen knives, they all look alike. It gets boring to do the same thing over and over. You'll step back, go fishing and eventually the bug will come back.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

You know why the Rolling Stones and ZZ Top are still playing concerts after all these years? Because after they finish a schedule, they get away from each other and do other things.

I can cite more than one guy that is really good at something but moves on to other things from time to time so that he doesn't get in a rut.

Will time away make you rusty? Yeah, but that's ok. You never know what new things you may be bringing back to incorporate in your designs.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 AM

game change

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.WOLFE View Post
I'm going thru the same thing, pard..like the old song says,"the thrill is gone"...been paying more attention to my music than the knifemaking for about 3 mos now. I designed and built a B-Bender for my telecaster, may try to sell a few this fall..just something different, you know....when you're learning something new, i guess it just holds your interest more, I dunno....
Same thing happened to me. I am spending all my time playing the guitar. its to hot in the shop to build knives. I have made some nice racks with the C.N.C. machine for hanging the guitars on the wall. I would like to see your B-Bender. not sure what it is, but I'm interested.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Steel Addict

will send you a pm, torchart, so as not to hijack Dracs; post.....tom
Old 07-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Living Legend

Thanks guys.

This has been building for a while. A bowie knife that I did (and failed at) to try and change things up should not have taken as long as it did. There were some valid issues but it should not have taken almost 2 years. I came to the realization when I forced myself out to finish up a couple the other night.

I'm not going to do a knee jerk here and throw away $2k+ of tools and supplies but I've also got to take a good look at if these tools might need a new home with someone who can enjoy them.

Jim

Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Steel Addict

Drac, i been thinking about your situation all day for some reason.I guess because one time I made a bad mistake..I was in a songwriting slump, and it got so bad, I gave away all my equip in my small home studio...prob 2-3 grand worth-4 trk recorders, drum machine, keyboard,mixers,everything but my guitar.About a month later, the creative juices started flowing again,and I didn't have a dam thing to work with.Luckily, I gave it all to a real friend,and I called him to see if I could borrow a recorder...He said to come on over, might be something left...we went out in his garage, and there was everything I had given him, covered with a sheet. He said"I knew you'd need it back,Tom,that's what you do...you create. Keep-Your Tools, my friend, go clean the shop,shut the door and walk away-when the time is right, you'll be glad you did...that's what we do,....we create.
sorry for rambling, but that's also what old men do! good luck, Tom
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

There is a maker who lives close by to me, makes Damascus chefs knives which sell for quite a lot. However like a true artist, he only works when "inspired". Which makes it quite hard to obtain a knife from him, especially with the price and popularity with high profile chefs. This is something I have thought about quite a lot since learning and it makes sense to me. I go through these spells as well, Sometimes for me, finding new inspiration is as easy as a couple of hours googling knife pics. Or like Mr Vanderkolff cleaning the workshop. The words artist and inspiration, I would of once thought of as Wanky, have new meaning to me now.
Don't sell your gear, You will get your interest back.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seemus7 View Post
There is a maker who lives close by to me, makes Damascus chefs knives which sell for quite a lot. However like a true artist, he only works when "inspired".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
A bowie knife that I did... but it should not have taken almost 2 years.
I am bad about completing knives. Have about 20 that need to be finished out. I only really work on them when inspiration hits. Juggling the knifemaking hobby between work and the gym makes life go really fast it seems.

I have been working on a serious Bowie for 1.5 years and am close to starting the guard and handle. But I am kind of anal when it comes to fit and finish so that adds to my problem. But at least it will be nice when I finally get her done and put my maker's mark on! I guess I am not the only one out there! Thanks, your posts have given me inspiration!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 PM

Best way I found to turn things around is to take a bunch of finished blades and forge-weld them back into a leaf spring.....it only takes once!

Hey Tony, looks like they are going to hold "The Show" in your town next year. Gonna be a heck of a ride
for us Georgia Dawgs.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Hey Tony, looks like they are going to hold "The Show" in your town next year. Gonna be a heck of a ride
for us Georgia Dawgs.
Carl, I still have seen any official info on this. Can you enlighten us a bit, or post a link? It sounds great so far! Thanks.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Tags
back, bee, blade, bowie, build, cleaning, fishing, folder, forge, heat, home, hot, kitchen, kitchen knives, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, made, make, making, post, sell, shop, supplies