MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Skilled

Cross Cut Zebrawood and 1095

Here's one I made in the last couple of days between the rain.

This is the first time I've used crosscut scales. Man, the wood is super hard.

Hope y'all like it....Thanks for looking

Frank

Steel.....1/8" 1095
Scales.....Crosscut Zebrawood
Blade Length.....4" cutting area
Overall Length.....9"
Widest Part of blade....1 5/8"
Pins..... 1/8" brass

Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Master

Frank-
That looks great! That Zebra wood is awesome - I have a ton of it and really never even thought about cross cutting it. Did you stain it? The lighter part looks a little darker than the stuff I have - actually about the same color as the stain on your hands.... The mustard etch is perfecto as I've come to expect from you. The overall style is quickly becomming your signature. I do have a question though - what the heck are you doing with all these knives you keep making/posting?
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRuhlig View Post
Frank-
That looks great! That Zebra wood is awesome - I have a ton of it and really never even thought about cross cutting it. Did you stain it? The lighter part looks a little darker than the stuff I have - actually about the same color as the stain on your hands.... The mustard etch is perfecto as I've come to expect from you. The overall style is quickly becomming your signature. I do have a question though - what the heck are you doing with all these knives you keep making/posting?
-Dave
Dave....No, I didn't stain the Zebrawood. When it's cross cut it tends to be a lot darker. The stain you see on my hands is from the sheath I made. I tell you one thing when it's cut this way it is extra hard to sand and it burns easy even with a new belt.

About my knives I have sold several,give some away to friends,traded some, and family members get their pick also.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Frank

Old 01-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Did he stain it? Are you kidding me? He's still staining it in the picture.
Just kidding.. crosscut zebrawood looks great Frank!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Steel Addict

Frank nice looking. I really like the scales. I have seen cross cut scales for sale but wondered if they would crack more easily because of the short sections of end grain, whats your oppinion.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by john smith View Post
Frank nice looking. I really like the scales. I have seen cross cut scales for sale but wondered if they would crack more easily because of the short sections of end grain, whats your oppinion.

I thought about that too John! I really don't think it's as strong as reg. cut wood. I know one thing I doubt I ever use crosscut again...Too much work wears belts out and will not take a buffing (at least this zebrawood wouldn't)...Thanks for the kind comments.

Frank

Old 01-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Great looking knife Frank.
I was going to ask about it being brittle on the cross cut, but another question, will it absorb any type of sealer? Ive been messing with Thompson sealer and wood hardener 1/2 and 1/2. Seems to absorb really well in most woods and although not stabilized in the sense we think of, its pretty good.

God Bless
Mike

Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondG Knives View Post
Great looking knife Frank.
I was going to ask about it being brittle on the cross cut, but another question, will it absorb any type of sealer? Ive been messing with Thompson sealer and wood hardener 1/2 and 1/2. Seems to absorb really well in most woods and although not stabilized in the sense we think of, its pretty good.

God Bless
Mike
Hey Mike.......Yes, it absorbs pretty good but, being that it's crosscut it turns Dark. Like I said earlier crosscut wood at least this Zebrawood is the devil to work with. It actually starting to dull out a Blaze Orange 80 grit new belt?? You had to really watch it or you will scorch the wood even with a new belt. Thanks for the kind comment.

Frank

Tags
image, knife, knives