MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 08-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Steel Addict

Knife #5 - one for the wife

This is a little 7 inch, tapered tang (by heat treater..still working on it), ATS-34, hollow grind, with SS pins and moasic pin in the middle, and SS thong tube. The handles are 1/8" thick antique micarta to keep it light.
And, I added a vine and thorn filework to the top of the blade.
My wife doesn't know it's hers yet...I've got to design a 'purse sheath' for her.
Hope you like it!

I didn't use loveless pins in this one..I just used straight pins, and I worked the pins down totally with hand files, it was slow work, but the control and results are better than I expected (Thank you Jason Cutter!)
The filework is straight from the forum tutorial, but on the tapered blade it looks a lot different.

And lastly, I tried to get a straight on shot of the filework for the filework guru (Dennis G.) but I'm not sure it worked out too well.

Thanks for looking...all comments are welcomed and appreciated!
Keith
Old 08-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

I like the knife and I'll never tell!
Oldgrinder
Old 08-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Another nice one Keith! Keep up the good work.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:42 PM

Keith-

They just keep getting better and better.

I like this one...Showing some delicate touches not seen to the same degree on previous 4 knives (but who's counting )...

I like the micarta. The first kitknife I ever made had that antique gold micarta for scales...still looks good. This was an especially good choice if she ever whips it out in the kitchen...Oh yeh, and it won't show the blood if she should happen to cut herself...I know what I'm talking about!

The filework is looking good...you're really coming along in that dept. Here's a thought for next time... Try scaling down your measurements more quickly as you get closer to the tip. Not only does the pattern get narrower towards the tip out of necessity, but it looks really great when the length of the pattern is proportianate as well. By the time you get to the end you want to wind up with the a smaller vine... length and width.

Overall, nice job! Hope your wife is pleasantly surprised...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys!

Olegrinder - couldn't have done it without you!

Hammerdownnow - thanks...can't wait to see your latest!

Dennis - thanks for the comments...I actually thought of changing the spacing of the tip pattern, but not till after I had the initial notches made...then it was too late!
I'll try that down the road though....I did most of my grinding after HT and the pattern changes quite a bit when your finalizing the grind.
Could be hard to keep a small pattern centered.
I'll just have to remove more metal before HT...think that would make it easier?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the comments!!

Anybody else out there have any comments?

Keith
Old 08-06-2003, 06:03 PM
Hall of Famer

looks good, keith.
i like to get as much done on ss before heat treat as i can.
others only profile and drill holes, then do the grinding, filework, etc. after. i just feel it is too hard on me (having to be so slow and careful) and my tools. since i have a pro do the ht on air quench stuff, i trust them to get out any warps that may arise from stresses induced by my work beforehand.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:34 PM

Keith, your work gets better and better each time. This one's a real sweetheart, and it sounds like your own sweetie will be MUCHO pleased with your efforts. Bravo!

I've been quiet, but nicely impressed with your good work. Thanks for the post.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Steel Addict

I just love suggestions!

Thanks for the comments....

Wayne - I'll start taking more meat off that blade before HT, and I always do my filework before HT. This might also make it a little easier getting the blade to final shape. Thanks for your input, it means a lot to me!

Coop - Thank you ! I'm still a little shy about posting here with all these fantastic knives, but it helps a newbie like myself to get valuable advice, and encouragement...and you always have both!

Ok...I need help everyone...I have seen some outstanding sheaths posted here...I'm trying to design a sheath that the knife will fit into and can be slipped into a purse. I'm thinking about a sandwich type flat sheath with a snap to keep it closed. Anybody ever seen anything like this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Old 08-07-2003, 10:57 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
sheath suggestion---

Keith---As there is no visible guard or finger notch for a restraining strap to secure the knife, your options are rather limited. You could fashion a pouch with a flap and snap or flap and velcro which would be quite functional and safe in a purse. Don Cowles uses magnets internally fixed in his pouch sheaths with a great deal of success but---- knowing of the multitude of items carried in a woman's purse such as car and house keys and other ferrous objects that would anchor to the sheath, I would question it's use. Show us what you come up with when you can! Sandy

Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Skilled

Great Looking knife Keith, I like the slimness of it seems like it would be nice to hold and very light. Good considering it is for your wife!!!

Keep it up

Ross
Old 08-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Steel Addict

Still working on it !

Ross - Thanks ! The knife is very light, and with the filework, just did'nt look to be a EDC or working knife, so I thought it would be a nice knife to keep in a purse, just for occasional use. My wife loves each knife I make, and is my biggest fan, so it's only right that I make one for her!

Sandy - thanks for the suggestions ! I worked up a template for my design and it looks a lot like a checkbook case. I think it will work, but I'm a little worried about keeping it closed....I'm thinking about a snap or two to keep it closed....any opinion on this?

Thanks again,
Keith
Old 08-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Founding Member Sys_Admin

Send a message via ICQ to KnifeWife Send a message via Yahoo to KnifeWife
Very nice knife. I had to wait 10 years before Gene made me one. She'll be very pleased.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Hey bud, try the rare earth magnets to keep it closed. Call me and I'll tell you another idea that has fooled em for years. Roc

Old 08-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

More options !

Pat - Thanks ! Gene's knives are worth waiting 10 years for!!

Roc - I'll be calling ! Or stopping by!

Well, still working on the design. Got some snaps and magnets, and I need to talk to Roc for his secret method.

Has anybody ever seen a closure where you 'lace' it closed? I don't mean like a shoelace, but more of a 'tie' closure?

Thanks for the help....let me know if you have any more good ideas!
Keith
Old 08-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Steel Addict

Got the sheath done !

Well, I got the sheath finished. I realized that my design far exceeded both my skills and tools !

I sure learned a bunch on this one !

It snaps together and holds the knife real well.

My wife loves primitive quilts and I decorated the front with that theme.

Sandy....what do you think? Too far outside the box?

Thanks again to everyone!
Keith

Tags
blade, knife, knives