MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 03-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Charon

Info about damascus daggers?

I guess I'll need lots of luck for anyone here to have an idea from whom the following pieces could be, but who knows? Any information at all would be great.

They were aquired together at a show in Germany in 1999.

The integral's few specs:

OAL: 260mm
Blade length: 135mm
Blade width: 5mm
Steel: Damascus

Specs:

OAL: 240mm
Blade length: 135mm
Blade width: 5mm
Steel: Damascus
Handle: German silver, I think, and ebony wood.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-06-2002, 04:10 PM
RWClark

The shape of the top one along with the damascus pattern seems to scream Manfred Saches.

If they are, hold onto them for a couple more years. They will unfortunatly go up in value .

Or, sell them to me now .
Old 03-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Charon

Great, thanks a lot for the info! I have no idea if the could be from Manfred Saches (is the last name correct that way?), but I'll try to find out.

G'Night!
Old 03-06-2002, 05:45 PM
RWClark

From the paper work I have on him that is the correct spelling. Kind of abnormal for a German name huh. It is prononced "socks" as far as I know.

I know that he is now retired and is unfortunatly in very poor health.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Don Cowles

I think Saches does his own damascus, and I would guess these two blades are Damasteel. Blades probably are European, though.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:22 PM
RWClark

Don, not sure about the damasteel. But after spending more time looking, I doubt that they are Saches. They do not appear to be forged to shape, but stock removal. Manfred is a forger.

If what I am seeing in the damasc pattern is right, they are ground not forged.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:41 PM
BCB27

The correct spelling is 'Sachse' (I have his book on damascus). I don't think these blades are made by him. The only similarity I see is the distinctive plunges, which I have seen quite a bit on other Sachse knives. Sachse made quite a bit of damask for other makers in the region.

Brett
Old 03-07-2002, 03:57 AM
Charon

Lot's of answers here.

I guess we are back to step one now, but at least we now have the correct spelling and I've learnt another maker.

Mind teaching me how to tell the difference between forged and filed Damascus? I'm always happy to learn new skills.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:41 AM
BCB27

Charon,

In general, damascus that is forged will have less pattern variation. In other words, the thin and thick parts of the blade should exhibit a similar pattern. Much of it depends on the type of patterning.

Brett
Old 03-07-2002, 01:14 PM
ansoknives

unless it is forged Damasteel..(yes it can be done..!) it is not...I have work so much with Damasteel that I can say this and be very sure that it is not..of course I could be wrong...but I don?t think I am.

As for who made the knives...dunno..yet I have seen the top one before..maybe in Knives Annual?

Old 03-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Charon

Do you happen to know which edition of Knives Annual?
Old 03-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Don Cowles

Fred Carter just emailed me this photo from a 1985 Issue of Blade- it may shed some light on the subject, since there is a definite family resemblance.

Old 03-08-2002, 04:37 AM
Charon

Hmm, the ad reminds me of the following dagger, also by Charlton Ltd. Do you think this one is forged, and do you think the integral at the top is by Charlton Ltd.?

Oh, and if anyone cares to make an offhand guess about the knives' worth, please try! I have no idea.

Old 03-08-2002, 04:44 AM
Charon

Ad

You are right, the knife in the ad and the second dagger from the top definitely have a family resemblance, but it could just be a copy??

Old 03-14-2002, 08:15 PM
JC7057

Re: Ad

Maybe you can e-mail Manfred and ask him for a lead. This is his website: www.damaszener.de/index.html

Tags
blade, knife, knives