MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Location: Central Valley of california between San Jose and Fresno, where the ducks live.
Need some help

Thanks for any help
I am looking to start grinding my own blades. I am first looking for a budget belt grinder. I was thinking about the 1 x 30" Harbor freight one but it looks a bit on the flimsy side. I am trying to find a delta 1 x 42? and am having trouble locating one.

And second, where is everyone buying there blade material? What would be a good flat bar steel to start with?

Thanks again for any help
Steve
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Skilled

Can't really help with a grinder but 1080 is a good steel. It's not bad to work with and pretty easy to heat treat. Try texas knife supply at texasknife.com. I'm sure that others have places they like though.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

Some have had great success with the HF 1x30, but I can say that I have not. I do use a Sears 2x42 with a level of success. It takes more work and slow going as it is a fast machine, but it works. As for steel, I think most will tell you to stick with 1080/1084 as it is very forgiving in the HT process and makes a great blade. I was getting mine from NJ Steel but they are out at the moment.

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

A 1x30 is pretty much a waste of time, a 1x42 is pretty close. I assume you aren't ready to spend $600 for a 2x72" which is what you will eventually want to buy or build. If you want to have much luck with any lesser grinder get something like a 2x42", 2x48", 4x36".....lots of guys make do with some type of 4" sander. But, understand that these sanders are designed for wood. They run faster than you might like and have less power than you need but they can be used.

1080 or 1084 is the steel you want if you plan to do the heat treating yourself. Look up the New Jersey Steel Baron which is a popular source for these steels in small quantity. If you want to send the blade out for HT then buy 440C stainless and send it to Texas Knifemakers, they will heat treat it for $6.50. Buy the 440C at just about any knife supply house like Jantz, K&G, usaknifemakers.com, etc.

Get a couple of knife magazines from the mall cutlery store, gun store, or major mall book store. Knives Illustrated or Blade magazine carry advertisements for all the kinds of things you are asking about plus the things you haven't thought of yet. Get some catalogs from the knife suppliers - the catalogs are more useful for educational purposes than the websites usually are and you can learn a lot by reading them ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-08-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Location: Central Valley of california between San Jose and Fresno, where the ducks live.
Thank for the help! I am selling knifes now at the local gun store. But the blades are not mine. I have been buying damascus blanks from ebay and making handles and leather sheaths. I want to start grinding my own blades so I can say they are mine.

Here are some I have done.

http://s208.photobucket.com/user/sla...tml?sort=6&o=0

http://s208.photobucket.com/user/sla...tml?sort=6&o=1

http://s208.photobucket.com/user/sla...g.html?filters[user]=45258575&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 PM

Thank you for the replies!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Skilled

I can guarantee you that you want and need a 2X72. I am amazed at those who use 1 inch grinders and expect it to look like a 2X72. Just do the right thing now. You will not be sorry.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Skilled

I have tried the budget 1"x30" and it is certainly lacking. It's okay for shaping wood and finishing leather, so not a total loss. I prefer to use a good file on steel.

With a little know-how and some scavenging you can build a budget 2"x72" for a few hundred dollars. Try YouTube for "DIY Belt Grinder". I am always impressed by how resourceful these individuals can be. My favorite is Alaskabearhawk's fixed speed grinder made from scrap iron, flea market motor and recycled timing belt idlers from a Subaru. Brilliant! :-)

Dan
Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome to the wonderful world of knife making. You will soon figure out when yhou think you have everything you need to make a knife there will be something else that you did'nt think about. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of knife making. You will soon figure out when yhou think you have everything you need to make a knife there will be something else that you did'nt think about. Good luck.
HA! Isn't that the truth! Well I am a hard head but it usually sinks in after a while. I am going ahead and building a 2 x 72" sander. I got some plans from http://www.shankcustomknives.com/. He also led me to a inexpensive 10" wheel http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9242. I will be on my way to grinding my own knives soon.
Thanks for all the help!
Steve

Tags
1084, 2x72, art, blade, blades, build, cutlery, damascus, easy, flat, grinder, grinding, heat, heat treat, iron, knife, knife supply, knives, leather, make, material, sheaths, steel, supply, wood