MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered

Acrylic finisher questions

I have recently gotten into making sheaths, belts, and various small leather items. As I started dying and antiqueing the leather, I noticed that certain dyes would transfer to clothing even after properly dry.
Now, I understand that using an acrylic finisher would seal off the leather and prevent the color transfer. However, I am unsure about how to properly use the finisher.

I have tried dying the finished product, letting the dye dry, and then applying Super or Satin Shene (the only two acrylics that are reasonably easy to get in my country). I like the finish this gives me, but the leather seems to be rather dry.
When I finish a piece that isn't going to be dyed, I use neatsfoot oil, wax, and leather fat on it; and the leather appears much "healthier" (if that makes sense) to me.

So. Is it possible to use oils/wax/fats underneath the acrylic? Would it have a point?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Steel Addict

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a sheath I colored with acrylic paint from Tandy sealed with Neatlac also from Tandy.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Leather that is finished with an acrylic finish will always "feel" dry which is the way it should. Oiled leather will feel oily or greasy by the very nature of the finish. I do not use or like an oil finish but many craftsmen do. It is their privelege! I just fail to see any advantages but recognize several drawbacks in its use----Sandy

Old 09-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Registered

Okay, I'll avoid mixing acrylics with oils/fats then.

Thanks for the feedback!