MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM

Andy Garrett - Haysville, Kansas (Wichita area)
KCKA Charter Member
Knifemaker, sheath/holster maker, toolmaker, professional tattoo artist, and builder of many things including guns, classic wooden boats, and experimental aircraft.

Happy to help in any way I can.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 AM

New knife maker in Philly area. Lookin for a knife maker with some knowledge around here! Will trade my labor for some knowledge about knife making!!!?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Philadelphia.

Hey! I'm a new knife make in Philly looks for someone with knowledge on knife making in area! Will do labor or whatever work needs to be done for knowledge on knife making!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 PM
Registered

Kevin1050, are you still in Baltimore / interested in knife making?

Last edited by Salmon; 01-24-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: tag someone
Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB&D View Post
Looking for a knife maker/mentor in Va. Do
You guys know of anyone.

Thanks!
Tim

Tim, where in VA are you located? I am also in VA. Northern VA.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Registered

Anyone around the Bay area California?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Registered

Also in NorCal

Also looking for NorCal knife makers. Let me know if you get a response. I just started in the hobby.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Northern Illinois / Southern Wisconsin

Hello,

FNG / Newbie here interested in learning the basics. I've been lurking for a while and decided to join officially. Some of you might not like the show, but "Forged in Fire" has increased my desire to learn the trade, as well as my 8 year old son. I'd like to get some hands on experience prior to investing a bunch of money into something and develop a bunch of bad habits.

I'm in Northern Illinois, NW of Chicago. I was hoping to find someone in the area or southern Wisconsin that might be willing to help me out.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 AM

By all means continue search/posting here and on other knife related forums. There are a whole lot more bladesmiths and blacksmiths out there than most folks realize. FnF has really generated a lot more interest in the art, that's for certain. I personally have been inundated with request for classes and am pretty much booked into the horizon.
Search out knife clubs and custom knife makers in your area on a local and regional basis. With a little casual conversation almost anywhere you will find someone that knows someone that either smiths or personally knows a smith. You just got to ask.
Also check arts/crafts shows, gun/knife shows, your local community activities coordinator, cultural arts programs, etc. You'll find someone with a little effort.
Just be cautious in jumping in head first.....it may look like a lot of fun, but it is a hard work occupation (most good things are). Try it out and see if it's your game or not before you get in too deep.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Guys, I am in Indiananapolis anyone close? I am not oposed to driving a few hours. I have roughed out some blanks. But have not done any beveling or heat treating. Anyone willing to spare some time would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Registered

Hey team

I'm interested in making some knives. Made a couple a few years back and they are not very good but you got to start some where. I live in New Zealand and the knife making scene is not very big over here and I have had little success in finding someone to talk to.
If there are any names that spring to mind that I could get in touch with that would be great. Also new to fourms if this is the wrong thread for this post my bad
Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Guru

Corey, right thread.

This is the best knife forum I have had the pleasure of joining. Some great knifemakers here who are free with their knowledge. Have you Googled NZ Knifemakers? There has to be some and I seem to remember there was one out of Christchurch, NZ. Take a look also for hand made knives for sale in NZ as well.

I would imagine knife making supplies are hard to come by there. I have no idea on the shipping costs to your beautiful country. Also try Australia too, I know there are some good bladesmiths there. They may know somebody in NZ.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:23 AM
Registered

Hey Jim

Thanks for the quick reply. I have found a little bit on some knife makers most seem to be in the north I land but there is 2 in the South Island. One of them does weekend classes but out of mild steel according to my father who did it with his mates. But in saying that still a good chance to learn. As for tools and steel I have been told of a website by someone who just started making knives as a retirement hobby, also need to find him again and see how he is going and pick his brain abit more
Old 07-20-2017, 01:36 AM
Guru

Well I do not know the situation in NZ. Also I don't like to say, is some makers don't want to share especially where there isn't much competition. Just human nature for some, but muddle through with what you have and do not accept mild steel for knife steel. Cheats and thieves would turn you to worst materials and then they"ll say they have better. 1070 or higher steel is what you want. 1084 being the target metal unless you can find some CruForgeV steel which was made for forging.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Carl Rechsteiner, Bladesmith, Master Artist, Acworth, GA

Instruction in: Beginning Bladesmithing, Advanced Bladesmithing, Sheath Making
(there is a waiting list)
Plan to offer a free quarterly "Introduction to Bladesmithing" class (TBA)

Conduct 2 Hammer-ins each year (spring and fall) in Blairsville, GA at www.trackrock.com that are open to the public

Charter member of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild* (www.georgiaknifemakersguild.com)
*highly recommended for beginners, novices, and professionals - tremendous networking opportunity
Participating Master Artist in Georgia Council for the Arts - Traditional Arts Apprenticeship program

My table is I-27 at the Blade Show. Come see me.
(Even my wife thinks I'm a Real Knife Guy!)

Visitors by appointment only.
Hey I'm 17 and I forge knives I'm not particularly great but I live in cartersville were pretty close

Tags
art, blade, bowie, design, fixed blade, flags, forge, forging, grinding, guard, hammer, hunter, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, kydex, mentor, newbie, sheath, sheaths, steel, teach, tools