MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Steel Addict

Finishing the sewing on a sheath?

Just watched Chuck Burrow's "Custom Knife Sheaths" video for the umteenth time. Still pulling a lot of information from it. Excellent video!

My question - If I backstitch my thread when I'm completing the sewing section of the sheath, will that be enough to secure the ends of the thread or does it need to be tied at the end to keep from coming apart?

Chuck's video is great, but I'm still unsure on this particular point. Advice please?

Jim T
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Skilled

Back stitch three holes, trim off the left over, your done.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Chucks video is amazing! I hope I don't wear it out. As for the stitching, WBE is correct.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks WBE and Texas Jack. That's exactly what I ended up doing.

Jim T
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM

What type of thread are you using?
Synthetics can "slip" over time and use. Use a small tip soldering iron or wood burning tool to melt/nip the tag end of the thread instead of cutting and it will produce an unnoticeable knob on the end of the thread that will not pull through easily.....takes some practice not to burn the rest of the thread or the leather but worth learning.
Also "packing" the stitch line with a follow-up creaser along the edge will neaten up the finished edge and pack the leather back against the stitch for a tighter hold.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Carl! I'm using waxed thread from Tandy Leather. I think I'll give your melt/nip technique a try. I've been doing the packing thing after back stitching. I just want to be as sure as possible that I've done everything I can to keep the sheath from coming apart down the road. Thanks again for the advice!

Jim T
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 AM

Jim
If your glue job and fit are good, all the stitching does is reinforce the joint so that it doesn't begin to pull apart.
I learned the trick above from Dad (Sandy Morrissey). He turned my world around on sheathmaking and leather work in general. Only problem I've had with sheaths coming apart has been when some yahoo puts a blade in backward.....happens occasionally at the shows.
Sounds to me that you are on the right track and thinking about the little issues that really make the difference.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the encouragement, Carl. Never thought I would get into leather working when I first contemplated knife making, but I must say, after having explored the some of the nuances of leather craft, I find it's just as fun and interesting as making the actual knife.

Jim T
Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 AM

Hey, if I could figure out a way to "forge" the sheaths, I'd do it all in one session at the anvil. I enjoy the changeup, because I can do it in the a/c. My biggest problem is not having a separate room for sheath making so I have to clean my shop real well before I pull any leather out. Contemplating a build on room just for leather........but will have to sell a few more knives to make that happen.

Pay close attention to Chuck's hands in the video. He, as well as many other artisians, do things with their hands that have become so natural they don't think about it and forget to tell you about. That's how I learn from Dad. Takes a little concentration but worth the extra effort.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Steel Addict

Chuck's video is great and you're right, Carl. I've watched it and rewatched several times and I'm still picking up little jewels of information.

I have to do my knife making in the garage because my grinder and my swearing are really loud. However, I do my leatherwork in the basement workroom in the house. No loud machinery and I've learned to curse under my breath so my wife can't hear me.

Jum T

Tags
advice, anvil, back, bee, blade, custom, custom knife, edge, forge, holster, iron, knife, knife making, knives, leather, leather die, leather tooling, make, sheath, sheaths, stitch, tanning, video, wood