MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 AM

Brand spanking new to knifemaking

Hello everyone
I want to learn to make knives. I need some books and advice on how is the best way to start. I bought some old files that I thought would be good to start with. Any words of wisdom and advice is appreciated.
Thanks. Rick
Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Books, any knife supplier has 'em. These are my favs: http://www.rayrogers.com/books.htm

Decide how you plan to make knives: forging or stock removal. Then study in that direction because they are different skill sets although there is considerable overlap. But, you have to pick a method because forging, if you choose it, will considerably increase your initial cash outlay for tools unless you are a particularly good scrounger and don't mind working with 'make-do' tools.

No matter which you choose, its probably best if you put the old files aside for a while until you know what you're doing. Buy some good blade steel, preferably 1084, and learn to use that before you start messing around with salvaged steels. There are reasons for all this and some people are exceptions but, generally, most people are much better off if they start their knife making journey by following this simple advice ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Hall of Famer

As Ray said, the most important tool is a good library. If I were to chose one book it would be The Master Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas. There are some good videos too by Hrisoulas, Ed Caffrey, and Bill Moran plus there's plenty of videos available on YouTube.

Stay away from mystery metal, such as those old files. Because you can only guess at what alloy they are we can only guess in our advice on heat treating them. Also some files are case hardened and are unacceptable for knife making. Ray's suggestion on 1084 is good, 1075, 1080, 80CrV2 are also good steels.

Doug

Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 PM

Rick,

When I started, I read David Boye's book. The technical info was suspect in many ways, but that book has a way of making it all seem very doable. I treasure it for that reason.

I read somewhere early on that Nicholson Black Diamond files were a good through hardened file with uniform steel used for all of them. I made several knives from these as we have a surplus yard here in Wichita that sells them 3 for a dollar in the biggest sizes. I just annealed them, ground out a blade shape, heated them up to critical, quenched in warm veg oil, baked for one hour at 350* and it seemed to make a great knife. It wasn't until years later when I bought a Rockwell hardness that I learned that I was getting 56 and 57RC out of that procedure. I got real lucky.

That luck aside, the advice to use known steels is solid. I will add 1095 to the list as one of my favorites.

You will find no shortage of help here.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 07-31-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Skilled

Books are great. If you can visit some ones shop that experience is worth it's weight in burnt steel. I have a pictorial on one way to do a file knife from a hardened file. It is just one of many.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 AM

Hey Gents.
I appreciate all the advice. Knowing what metal to start with is the best advice I've gotten. I was getting a lot of information abojjut all the different kinds of steel that different makers use. I'm from SC so I have started to look for different knifemakers to contact. I was thinking that visiting one would be a good idea too. Where would be a good source to get a list of makers. I'm sure there are associations who I can contact for a list of makers and contact info. Thanks for all the help , I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Rick Norris
Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

First off, welcome to the addiction! Its always nice to find another person who wants to learn. Its the only way to get the art of what everyone does here to improve and evolve. So far you have gotten some really great advice. As Ray and the others have said, set the files aside for now. I started out like that, and it is very tough to begin with those as you never know for sure what kind of steel it is. Sometimes it is excellent, sometimes it brittle to the point it shatters when dropped. Or it can just turn out to be a case hardened one and no matter what you do, the cutting edge will not get hard enough to be what you want.

As for the books, there are many out there that are helpful. I just started out with The Gun Digest Book of Knives, and what I picked up from talking to makers. Now I am working on Metallurgy of Bladesmiths & Others Who Heat Treat and Forge Steel by John D Verhoeven. So much information is out there, and it can all be used in some way to help you improve and enjoy this!

And as Ray said, decide which method you would like to do, Stock removal, or forging. You don't have to decide right away, just enjoy what you are doing and find out what you can accomplish. If you are working and you decide you would rather forge something, then do it! If you would prefer stock removal, then do it that way. It will just come down to what you prefer doing. So have fun with it, and remember to be safe! You can always replace the steel if something doesn't come out right.

As for makers to visit, there should be a sticky at the top of the newbies arena page posted by Ray. It has a list of makers by state, and several more posted down below that you can look through to see if there is someone close to you. You can also look online to see if there is a local knifemakers guild in your area. They can be quite helpful when it comes to this kind of thing. Gun shows are another good place to look. I've run into a lot of makers at them and they are always willing to give a word of advice to help you with your knifework. And if you can, bring along something you have made. As you can see, we all like sharing information and helping each other out, and no better way of doing that, than to bring along something you have made. They can advise you on things your doing good on, as well as where you should practice more.

Either way, once you get going you will find it hard to stop. The feeling of creating something useful with your own two hands that you or someone else can enjoy is truly something you will love. I hope to see something you have made on here in the near future!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Once again I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I just want to say that Ray Rogers is a fine gentleman. I was fortunate enough to speak with him on the phone yesterday and he set me moving in the right direction on a lot of areas. Got to build me a forge. I don't see anyway around that. Also he has a ton of info on his website. I hope to have an example of one I've done not to long from now. Once again thanks everyone and to you Ray. I'llbe speaking with you soon like we talked about .

Rick
Old 08-09-2014, 06:55 AM

Rick
How's the Low Country holding up to all this global warming. Cruised a lot of Westvaco timber in your area back in the early 70's. Swamp is swamp is swamp.......
Welcome to the KNF, you'll get good advice here.
Good luck in your adventure.
One of the fun side things with a gas forge is killing skeeters! They'll start swarming down heat in a small cloud. When you get a good bunch hanging there, cut the gas off momentarily then back on full. The buggars will move in closer and the woof of the dragon's breath on reboot will fry a bunch of them!. One of life's little joys!!! Just remember to stand off to the side.

There are knifemakers everywhere, but most don't have the time or inclination to stand out at the road with billboard. Just talk it up with everyone....barbershop, garage, machine shop, hardware store, etc. sooner or later you will meet someone that is or knows a maker. Whether a hobbiest or a professional, any time you can spend with them will speed up your learning process and save you a lot of trial and error.
You may even get lucky and find there is a "secrete" organization of makers in your area. Not really secrete (reference first of this paragraph). Don't let shyness or stubbornness get in the way of your journey to the dark side.
Again welcome!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
1084, advice, art, blade, brand, choose, diamond, file, file knife, files, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knife supplier, knifemaking, knives, make, making, simple, steel, stock removal, tools