MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Steel Addict

Making a spring assisted knife

Is anyone making spring assisted folders like the ones Kershaw (for example) makes? I thought about buying one at the Sporting goods store this morning just to take it apart.

Are there any decent kits out there?
I am curious how they work and though I would like to try and make one but don?t have a clue how they work or if it would be reasonable to try and make.

Brett
Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Steel Addict

Now I know why there was no information on the knife design mentioned above, it?s called a ?Flipper?. Sorry about that.

So to revise my own question, is there a spring or something of that nature to assist the opening of the knife? To be clear I am not talking about a switchblade.

The guy that showed me the Kershaw Flipper said that it has a ?torsion bar?, is this the way these are built?
Are there any WIP threads? I was unable to find any.

Thanks
Brett
Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 PM

Brett, I will try to explain how I do it. This is not easy to do here, if I could show you in person you would understand in 2 minutes. Go to the following two links and look at the pictures while you read this. I don't seem to have enough permissions on this forum to post pictures. Let me know if the links don't work and I'll try something else.

http://bendele.net/HogWild/Automatic%20blade.jpg

http://bendele.net/HogWild/Automatic...k%20spacer.jpg

This knife is exactly like my regular folding knives with the exception of the two red circled areas (one on the blade and one on the back spacer). The back spacer has an area cut out to hold the spring. What I don't show on the picture is the set screw hole that is drilled and tapped from the underside of the back spacer. It holds the spring in place.

The area circled in red on the blade picture is where the spring rests in the closed position. This area must have the curve almost exactly like it is shown here. When the knife is closed this area pushes up the spring and 'loads' it. Pushing the blade's thumb bob (while the knife is closed) pushes the blade to the point where the spring takes over and it pushes the blade out. In the locked open position the spring merely hangs in the handle and is touching nothing.

Texas Knifemaker's Supply (http://wwww.texasknife.com) has the spring material that I use. Their catalog numbers are SM001, SM002 or SM003. They are all the same thickness, length and price, the difference is the width. I use SM002 which is .120" wide since I use a .125" blade.

If you have any questions yell.

Ron Bendele
Hog Wild! Custom Knives
http://HogWildCustomKnives.com
Ron at HogWildCustomKnives dot com
Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Brett, Knifekits.com probably has an automatic kit you may be interested in.

I'm confused. A flipper usually doesn't have a spring.

You can find designs for folders, including a flipper, on my website below.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM

Hey Don, I couldn't find the link to your flipper design on either website. Would you please provide a direct link to it?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Sorry about that. I guess I forgot to post that one. It's my latest design, made some time last year. I made one and liked it so well I'm making 3 more right now.

I'll post the design on the website later. For now, it's available for $12.95 including mailing to the U.S. I prefer PayPal, but any way of paying is fine. Even a blank check, as long as it's signed.

Go here to see the actual knife, or the same photos are shown on my website.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...hlight=flipper

I really like this knife, but it's too big for an old man to carry.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Steel Addict

Ron,
Thank you very much for your reply. That design is a little different than the one I have in mind. I would like to try out your design on my next knife, it looks like it would function very well.
BTW you have some great looking folders on your web site!!!!!!!

Don,
That looks like the knife I was thinking about. Is there a spring or ?torsion bar? involved?
I almost feel like that is a silly question but that is what I was told by the guy behind the counter.

I have no interest in building an ?auto? knife, I am only interested these flippers. I now realize that I was using the wrong terminology?.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Thanks Don. I would like to see the design before I decide whether to buy it or not.

Brett, the design that I gave you is not a flipper, it is an assisted opening (AO) folder. I am sorry, I should have read over your question better. A flipper won't work with the design I illustrated, the actual flipper would be in the way. A flipper with a spring assist would need a space milled for the spring in the liner or frame. Then you would need a way to link the spring to the blade.

The AO design can open just as quickly as a flipper, I like it better since it doesn't have the flipper sticking out the top ... it is more compact. To make the flipper work better (without a spring assist), some makers use the IKBS or Tracy at USA Knifemakers sells a micro roller bearing. I am just now making a knife using the micro roller bearing (1/2 done) and it seems to work fantastic. There is no drag whatsoever. http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/m...gs-p-2237.html.

Feel free to use the design. I got it when I attended an assisted opening folder class with Ed VanHoy at Montgomery Community College, Troy, NC. They have knifemaking classes during the summer (in cooperation with the NC Knifemaker's Guild).

Thanks for looking at my website and thanks for the comment,
Ron

Last edited by ronbendele; 01-18-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

10es&
Perhaps you are still using the wrong terminology. What you are describing with a spring that helps the blade open is called an assisted opener. A flipper USUALLY has no spring it just has a portion of the blade/gaurd protruding from the top of the handle that you "flip" with your index finger to open.

Tags
blade, folder, kit, kits, knife, knives, supply, switchblade