MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Steel Addict

Where is everyone?

Hello all. It's been quite a while since I've been active in the forms, so I thought I would check in. Has the Folding Knife Forum kind of died down? I was hoping to see a good amount of topics and discussions going on. I know I should do better in the future and do my part to keep the forum alive. -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Skilled

Thought I had done this once, but Hi Chris. Good to see your words again. Are you doing any folders at the moment. Hope so....
Old 09-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Chris, this forum really comes alive when someone takes the lead and creates a challenge or a group project.

Right, guys???

I've been tied up all year with my classes on-line and in my shop. I've been trying to fill most of my orders and making a few knives for the Spirit of Steel Show.

Anybody here going to the show? Be sure to stop by my table.

And,,, some of us'uns from South Texas and Northern Mexico have created a brand new knife club!! Some of these guys are my former students, and we have a few seasoned knifemakers so far. You're invited to join.

Here's our new web site. Be sure to see the page about our knife show. To my knowledge, we have never had a real custom knife show in South Texas.

http://www.tkaknifemakers.com

I hope some of you will reserve a table and come down here and meet everyone.

Come on down, you might like it!!

The show is only about 30 minutes from South Padre Island and 5 minutes from the bridge into Matamoros, Mexico.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Skilled

Hi Chris, I feel the same - It's too quiet here. I've been in lurk mode for a year because I've been so busy with work and family that I am ashamed of my lack of knife-making productivity. I feel like "the newbie who didn't make it" - you know, all talk and no knives. So I figured I ought to lay low until I have some work to show or at least projects in the making. he he.

To compound the problem, every time I get the ambition to make a knife and set aside some shop time I end up working on tools instead. Today I was working on my heat treat oven. It's almost done - just need to finish the door (it's about 50% done) and wire up the controller. It might get a test-run tonight if I'm lucky. I've promised myself that as soon as it's up and running I'm going to crank out several folders I've had planned for over a year.

I do have one I haven't shown everyone yet. It started out as the prototype for my #4 - a flipper. I decided to clean it up and make it a real knife, so it turned into #5 and is currently my EDC. It's a by-the-book Don Robinson "My Way" with 4 hefty 3/16" pins.

-Ben M.

Last edited by Messinger; 09-23-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Skilled

[QUOTE=Don Robinson]Chris, this forum really comes alive when someone takes the lead and creates a challenge or a group project.

QUOTE]

Your dasm right don! i didnt participate in either the barlow or the frame lock but i di follow along with both, i was actually thinking about this the other day that we should have a lock back or slip joint challenge. i also thought we could all make the same design like in the barlow thread but the at the end make it a KITH, everyone will send out basically the same knife but what you receive will be someone elses interpretation of it.

brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 09-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Ben, I've wondered what happened to you. Glad to hear you're still around.

Man, you really nailed that flipper folder. It's awesome!! Great job on a very neat design. Please send it to me.

Chris, if you would lead a slipoint challenge I'll work along with everyone else.

So there you go, Chris!! You've been challenged.

Holmsy will join in and lots of others will too. Just title the thread with something that includes "I dare you" and see what happens.

I'm anxious to go, but I can't start until next week late. Spirit of Steel Show this weekend.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Steel Addict

I'll second Don's suggestion..I'd really like to make a slipjoint to Chris,s design. I really like your EDC Slipjoint design Chris.

I've not shown up on TKN for around a year now due to family problems and work commitments but I'm glad to say I'm back and will be showing what I've made soon.

Andy..
Old 09-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy gascoigne
I'll second Don's suggestion..I'd really like to make a slipjoint to Chris,s design. I really like your EDC Slipjoint design Chris.

I've not shown up on TKN for around a year now due to family problems and work commitments but I'm glad to say I'm back and will be showing what I've made soon.

Andy..
Great to have you back, Andy.

Isn't Ben's flipper great??!!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Skilled

yeah im certaily in for a slippy chalenge, im actually making my first now, just held up by texas knife order not having arived yet.

brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 09-25-2006, 01:49 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Great to have you back, Andy.

Isn't Ben's flipper great??!!

Thanks Don, Ben's flipper is fantastic..can't stop playing the video

I'm going yo have to make one.

Andy.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Skilled

Thanks guys,
and Andy, thanks also for your heat-treat oven tutorial. That's what I've been using as a reference. I finished the door and got it hung this weekend. Just need to make a latch and wire the controller! Your tutorial is a great resource.

Don, thanks for the compliments too. I'll shoot some still pictures of my flipper and send to you for your 'My-Way' student gallery.

-Ben M.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Good deal, Ben.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:30 AM
Skilled

Hey all, been around but not really posting. Busy with work and some orders that I'm behind on due to an injury early in the year. Working on some liner lock designs and more slippies as always. That flipper is awesome Ben, reminds me of Lee WILLIAM's Rhino flipper. I'm designing a knife with one currently. I saw on another forum that there was a pretty big stink put up by some people for not acredditing the design to Lee, but I haven't seen anything like that here. That is a great take on Don's design. I have those plans sitting on my bench right now.

You all take it easy, i'm around, but we're expecting our first shild in December, so I'm working OT and doing whatever needs to be done to be reasy.

Trenton

Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
That flipper is awesome Ben, reminds me of Lee WILLIAM's Rhino flipper. I'm designing a knife with one currently. I saw on another forum that there was a pretty big stink put up by some people for not acredditing the design to Lee, but I haven't seen anything like that here.
Trenton
Hi Trenton, thanks and congradulations on becoming a Dad. It's awesome (I've got two little ones). Funny that there's a stink about people not crediting Lee. Lee is in fact the maker I admire most. His designs are more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than anyone's I've ever seen. He is hands-down my favorite maker. That said, people have been making flippers long before Lee started making knives (2001). Tim Herman is another maker doing gorgeous flippers of similar design (flipper at front of bolster instead of behind stop-pin) and I know he was showing them at least as far back as the late '90s - probably earlier. Do you have a link to the stink thread? I'd like to hear what people are saying. Thanks!

-Ben M.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Skilled

Ben, I'll have to search for it, and like I said it was on another forum, and it was quite a while ago. I'll have a looksee and if I find it I'll pm the details to you. Again, great design, and great video, it really snaps open with authority. I agree with you about Lee's work, simply amazing!

Take it easy,

Trenton

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knives