MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jace11229 Send a message via Yahoo to jace11229
Liner material

Hi All.
Could anyone point me to where I might get liner material? Also, what I should be looking for; thickness, type, etc... I'm working with hand tools and a dremel, so any tips would help. I've got field power tools (sawzall, circular saw, some other stuff), but not exactly finesse stuff, y,know?
Thanks In Advance, You Guys Rock!
Jace
Old 01-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The best single piece of advise any Newbie can get is to get your hands on a set of catalogs from all the major knife supply houses such as Jantz, Sheffield's, K&G Finishing, and Texas Knifemakers. Then, no matter what material or tool someone tells you that you need you'll have at least one source for it. These books also contain a lot of useful how-to information.

So, my favorite liner material is titanium in either 50 thousandths or 62 thousandths depending on the size of the knife. You can use ti with the tools you have but it will be a challenge.

An easier to work material would be 416 stainless steel. For best results, this material should be heat treated and I believe Texas Knifemakers can do that for you.

Phosphor bronze is another good material and, like titanium, it does not need to be heat treated. I don't know if any of the supply houses carry it but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. If not, MSC or McMaster-Carr should have it if you decide to try that.

For practice or when I make a prototype I use aluminum for the lock. It's easy to work and I can build an aluminum knife much faster than a titanium knife. It actually works pretty good as a lock but I can't recommend using it on a real knife that would be used every day...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Skilled

Hello Jace, when you mention "liner material" are you talking about liners for folders such as liner locks, or you talking about liner material to back up handle material for sheath knives.

A.T.

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
Tom Gresham
Old 01-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies,
A.T., In this case I'm kinda pimping up a knife, so I suppose it'd be just as a backing for one of the scales. I've got an unusually good beat-on knife and found a piece of nice cherry wood for $3.50! That puts my total investment at $13.50, so I figured I'd try out some things; filework, maybe some engraving, not sure yet. Thing is, there's only one liner, on the lock side. I'm guessing it's aluminium of some sort.
Ray, once again my hero!
I've registered with the link this site supplies for the major catalogs twice, and no dice. Even made requests to a couple of supply houses directly. I'm not quite sure what the deal is, but I'll figure it out. If you get the chance, say "Hey" to the skwirls & monks.
Thanks for the info, it's appreciated you guys. If you have any tips on fabrication, I'd love to hear it.
Take It Easy,
Jace
Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Skilled

It seems to me I read some where that some knife makers have gone to Kmart and purchased their plastic picnic plates, and used them for liners.

YMMV,

A.T.

P.S. I have quite a bit of black fiber liner, If that will work send me your address and I'll mail you some NC.

Tom Gresham

Last edited by A T Barr; 01-18-2006 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

A.T.,
Man, you are one class act. Thanks so much for your advice and offer. I'll take both if that's alright. Gotta tell you, your work is really exeptional. For a guy as accomplished as you to take time for a rookie speaks volumes. Don't know how to thank you, but next time I'm down south I'll bring a six and sweep the shop for you. I'll get my info right off to you.
Really appreciate this,
Jace
Old 01-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace11229
and sweep the shop for you.

You have no idea what you have offered to do.

A.T.

Tom Gresham
Old 01-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

Ha!
Joke's on you! Now that I know you're good at this, you'll never escape! I e-mailed my info, let me know if you got it?
Jace
Old 01-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace11229
Ha!
Joke's on you! Now that I know you're good at this, you'll never escape! I e-mailed my info, let me know if you got it?
Jace
I'm heading to the Post Office now.

A.T.

Tom Gresham
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Registered

If you are looking for fabrication advice on a locking liner there is only one place I would recommend and thats your hero's web site- Mr Ray Rogers. He has a tutorial on making a locking liner by building a prototype first to get a pattern and to understand how it all fits. Worked for me. Then go spend money on some good materials. His tutorial really is good.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

why does everyone seem to use titanium for there folder liners? I'm really really new to this and titanium is pretty expensive stuff. Can I just use mild steel for my liners since I'm just starting out?

Chris
Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

sorry if the previous questions been asked before.

Chris
Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneflyin
why does everyone seem to use titanium for there folder liners? I'm really really new to this and titanium is pretty expensive stuff. Can I just use mild steel for my liners since I'm just starting out?

Chris

Hi Chris,

"Mild Steel" has no place on a knife ! The reason most knifemakers who make liner lock knives use titanium is the material is a natural spring, is tough so that there is little wear on the lock, it does not rust, can be anodized, is very light.

You can use stainless steel for the liners, thats a little cheaper.

Andy..
Old 08-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy gascoigne
Hi Chris,

"Mild Steel" has no place on a knife ! The reason most knifemakers who make liner lock knives use titanium is the material is a natural spring, is tough so that there is little wear on the lock, it does not rust, can be anodized, is very light.

You can use stainless steel for the liners, thats a little cheaper.

Andy..
thanks, but I wasn't talking about liner locks, just slipjoint folders.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneflyin
thanks, but I wasn't talking about liner locks, just slipjoint folders.
Andy is correct, but if you had told him you were talking about slipjoints, he would probably have said that mild steel or brass will work fine. Of course, the brass won't rust.

Hi, Andy!

Tags
knife, knives