MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins
Tikky-Tokky... Dave, how ya doin?

Frank gives good advice about this. As far as I know you've made a few knives, and you are eager to jump into folders. Good for you, but definitely keep your chin up, and be willing to make mistakes. You got fire in your belly.
Thanks!
Yeah things are going well! I sold a knife this week and finished my first ever folder (pics in display case)....I can't wait to get some good time in the shop. I have lots of ideas and designs and materials and just not enough time to grind!

After this folder, I will be making another for sure.
I had a question:

What type of pivots do you guys use? I know Bill V. uses bushings. Do you simply use 3/16" pivots? which? I see some makers use the type that go through the scales, but I prefer those that recess into the back of the scales....
Old 11-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAhron
I have both the mill and the lathe. In hindsight i think a coil spring auto would be better. You can order the button assembly and spring and that simplifies things a bit.i love the idea of the online courses. Will there be a charge? I will post some pics of my w.i.p's this weekend along with the others i just finished.

We'll have a course on the on-line school to build a button lock leaf spring folder. Complete, start to finish.

We'll also have a course on finishing a Darrell Ralph button lock auto.

Yep, there will be a small tuition charge for each course, but highly affordable.

Looking forward to your pictures.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikTock
Thanks!
Yeah things are going well! I sold a knife this week and finished my first ever folder (pics in display case)....I can't wait to get some good time in the shop. I have lots of ideas and designs and materials and just not enough time to grind!

After this folder, I will be making another for sure.
I had a question:

What type of pivots do you guys use? I know Bill V. uses bushings. Do you simply use 3/16" pivots? which? I see some makers use the type that go through the scales, but I prefer those that recess into the back of the scales....

I use 3/16"and 18" straight pivot pins with 4-40 or 2-56 threads for most of my folders. I use both sizes for pivots, and extra 1/8 pins for thru dowels.

I get them from Halpern titanium.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Skilled

Don,
Will a leaf spring work well in conjunction with a button-lock? I had started to work on one of my own design and quit when I got to thinking that when I depress the button to release the blade the spring would kick the blade out, but in all likelyhood when the blade struck the stop pin I'd still have my thumb on the button and there would be no lock-engagement to keep the blade from bouncing off the stop pin back to a not-fully-open possition. A coil spring would keep pressure on the blade in the open possition until the button was released. However... I don't like the idea of a weakened pivot area that goes with hogging out a space for a coil spring. See, I'm all conflicted.

-Ben
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Steel Addict

Don, I feel that I am right up there in the luck dept. this month. As you all know the economy is in the dumper and companies are dropping like flies. My dad is a tradesman at Steelcase.........one of these companies taking a dump . They laid off all but my dad and 5 other guys from the toolroom, and shut it down moving the six guys to other parts of the company. So they put up all machinery in the toolroom for sale with employees having first dibs. So we done went shoppin'. I picked up a Gallmeyer- Livingston surface grinder fully hydraulic with coolant pump and electro magnet for.........you ready for this.....$800!! Then to top that, I got a Burr King model 760 mint cherry #### near brand new for $100. Yes $100! I know the 760 isn't the best for knife making, but I feel I can make it work with a little modding. And to end the shopping day I got a Baldor 15'' disc sander on one side and wire wheel on the other, Also $100. That machine along with the surface grinder is wired 440. So I'm gonna have to do some work to get 'em up and running, but I feel I made out like a bandit.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Skilled

Jeremy,
congratulations on both your's and your Dad's good fortune!
-Ben
Old 11-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messinger
Don,
Will a leaf spring work well in conjunction with a button-lock? I had started to work on one of my own design and quit when I got to thinking that when I depress the button to release the blade the spring would kick the blade out, but in all likelyhood when the blade struck the stop pin I'd still have my thumb on the button and there would be no lock-engagement to keep the blade from bouncing off the stop pin back to a not-fully-open possition. A coil spring would keep pressure on the blade in the open possition until the button was released. However... I don't like the idea of a weakened pivot area that goes with hogging out a space for a coil spring. See, I'm all conflicted.

-Ben
I don't like losing the pivot area, either. That's why my design uses a leaf spring. You're right, you have to release the button after it opens.

I don't want my blade to slam open against the stop. With my design, I use a titanium spring that opens the blade about 90 degrees, then if you hold the knife blade down, gravity does the rest. Or a flick of the wrist.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumdoctor
Don, I feel that I am right up there in the luck dept. this month. As you all know the economy is in the dumper and companies are dropping like flies. My dad is a tradesman at Steelcase.........one of these companies taking a dump . They laid off all but my dad and 5 other guys from the toolroom, and shut it down moving the six guys to other parts of the company. So they put up all machinery in the toolroom for sale with employees having first dibs. So we done went shoppin'. I picked up a Gallmeyer- Livingston surface grinder fully hydraulic with coolant pump and electro magnet for.........you ready for this.....$800!! Then to top that, I got a Burr King model 760 mint cherry #### near brand new for $100. Yes $100! I know the 760 isn't the best for knife making, but I feel I can make it work with a little modding. And to end the shopping day I got a Baldor 15'' disc sander on one side and wire wheel on the other, Also $100. That machine along with the surface grinder is wired 440. So I'm gonna have to do some work to get 'em up and running, but I feel I made out like a bandit.

Well, Jeremy, you outdid me in the price dept. I bought my Reid surface grinder for $1000.00, a RO cutter grinder for $400.00 at auction, and then a new Wilton square wheel belt grinder for less than the dealer's cost.

Congrats on your deals. Sorry to hear your father is losing his job in the tool room. I wish him the best in his new job. A toolmaker can do anything.

I have bought thousands of dollars worth of Steelcase furniture in the past.

Now that you've got a full machine shop, we'll expect to see some great knives from you.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Whats "less than dealer cost " Don ? Come on..make us grinder poor guys even sicker !

Dave
Old 11-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcwboy
Whats "less than dealer cost " Don ? Come on..make us grinder poor guys even sicker !

Dave
A lot lower than retail list price.

By the way, this Square wheel grinder beats my new Burr King in every way. To convert from platen to small wheel, to slack belt to 5" wheel, you just loosen one screw and ratate the platen attachment. Even adding the work rest invloves loosening one screw.

To do any of these on the Burr King involves taking the work wheel off and changing attachments. Waste of my time now.

It beats the stuffing out of the BurrKing at hogging because it's so fast. It runs very smoothly for finishing. I'm absolutely amazed and couldn't be more pleased.

So, sorry guys, can't help it now.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives