MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 01-18-2001, 03:10 PM
andy gascoigne

Materials in U.K

Does anyone have any details of supplies of ATS-34 or 440c in the U.K. Are there any U.K knife makers on this forum??

Best Regards

Andy Gascoigne (U.K)
Old 01-19-2001, 04:46 PM
primos

We're not ignoring you Andy. I guess nobody knows about supplies in the UK. I'll look around on the net and see if I can find something.

Hey! Where's Roger Gregory? He's from England. Let me see if I can run him down while I'm at it.

Old 01-20-2001, 04:40 AM
andy gascoigne

Thanks Terry,

I've just had reply and price list back from Damasteel in Sweden, they can supply me with RWL34 but the shipping cost are very expensive.
They are quoting for 38mm x 3.5mm x 1000mm $ 39.58 plus shipping of $ 27.00

How do these prices compare with you over in the states?

Of the two steels ATS-34 and RWL-34 which do you consider the better. From the info from Damasteel I gather that RWL34 is a powder formed version of ATS-34.

Andy
Old 01-20-2001, 08:24 AM
Roger Gregory

Alright, who woke me up?

Tracking down good steel suppliers in England is a bit of a bugger but I've been having some luck, finally.

Getting hold of precision-ground stock in O-1 or D-2 isn't much of a problem. I have tracked down O-1 'black bar' and with Dana Acker's help, W-something-or-other.

The main trouble with most steel stockholders is that they just want to sell to the trade, they expect you to know what you want, how much you want and in what dimensions. They are rarely helpful, and most deal in mild steel only, so you can spend an hour with the Yellow Pages to no effect. The best bet is to talk to a couple of local heat-treaters, toolmakers or precision profilers. As they all deal in tool steels they tend to know what they are talking about, and they will often sell you some steel and won't rip you off.

As you're talking about ATs34 and 440C I take it you're intending to grind rather than pound on your steel. I have only ever filed our forged so I haven't really tried to track down any stanless, I assume it's all air quench and that's just too frightening a prospect!

I did look at Damasteel once and wondered whether there was a UK distributor, but it seemed not. Maybe you could share their price list if you get one. I might consider hand-filing a couple of daggers from Damasteel. Sharing the shipping costs on some steel might help a bit.

I think it's time to get a little more active in linking up the other UK knifemakers, whether the professionals or hobbyists. I'll start the ball rolling on rec.knives where one or two hang out. I think CKD is the ideal place to gather, share resources and pick the brains of all these fine knifemakers.

So Andy, where are you in England, what have you made, what have you been making and why? your turn....

Roger

Old 01-21-2001, 04:47 AM
andy gascoigne

Hi Roger

Thanks for getting back to my posting,I agree with everthing you say about U.K steel suppliers, no wonder U.K engineering is in the state it is, customer service???.

I am a complete novice at knife making but we all have to start somewhere. Yes you are right I am useing the stock removal method rather than forging,have just finished building a 48"x 2" belt grinder to make life easier.

If you want I will scan the price list and email it to you direct. when I contacted Damasteel they sent me the price list and a very informative brochure on History,manufacture and uses of Damacene steel. Well worth an email to:- mail@damasteel.se(not worked out how to insert link!)

Best regards

Andy ( Chesterfield, Derbyshire )

Old 01-21-2001, 04:31 PM
Roger Gregory

Andy

Chesterfield you say. Well, you're close enough to Sheffield to be able to whine at some of the steelmakers. I don't suppose they'll want to talk to you but they may pass on a couple of stockholders names.

Saxon Steel make tool steel, so do Firth Rixon Special Steels (0114 246 8291.

Metal Supermarkets in Leeds might help 0113 238 0900 Robert Trout
I got some help from Metal Supermarkets in Redditch. They can get tool steel, just make sure you specify that you want ground flat stock or you'll get drill rod.

You could always try D-2 steel, it's an air-cool steel and is reasonably stainless. I have no idea how tough it will be on your grinder though.

Are you going to do your own heat-treating or use a local firm?

Roger, in drizzly Gloucester
Old 01-22-2001, 01:03 PM
andy gascoigne

Hi Roger

Spent most of this morning ringing round stockholders in Sheffield, without much joy, either they don't have it or only able to get it for me in substantial quantities.
I've given in and placed an order with Damasteel for RWL-34.I keep hearing great things about it and it seems so popular I thought why not!.

Yes I do intend to have a go at heat treatment myself, but if I'm not successful I have a contact in Rotherham who will be able to help. I'm building a small gas fired furnace with a Ron Reil type burner. I completed the belt grinder this weekend, It works just great, better than I could have wished in fact. I will probably post some Digi pics soon for all to see. As I read on another posting on CKD " It's not exactly rocket science".And it saves a hell of a lot of filing.

Andy..

Old 01-22-2001, 01:27 PM
Don Cowles

Andy, just a thought on the RWL34- I don't know if a forge will give you the ability to hold temperatures within a couple of degrees for twenty minutes, but I am inclined to doubt it.

The heat treating on these air hardening high-alloy stainless steels is quite critical. If there is any doubt in your mind about your ability to adhere strictly to the HT specs provided by the supplier, ask Damasteel where you can send it for HT. I'd hate to see you be disappointed, and have to throw away the price of a billet of fine knife steel.
Old 01-22-2001, 02:17 PM
andy gascoigne

Thanks Don

Damasteel advise in there spec sheet to heat to 1050 deg.C (1920 F) for 10 minutes and then tempering at 200C (400F) for 2 Hours.

I take your point that maintaining 1050 C may be difficult in a gas forge.So I guess I'll do some experimenting with a pyrometer first. If all else fails I will put the work out to a local heat treatment firm.

Thanks again

Andy.
Old 01-22-2001, 02:29 PM
Roger Gregory

Andy

Sorry you haven't had much luck with steel supplies.

I am hoping to launch my website on the world in the next few weeks and I will certainly be listing helpful suppliers and providers of services in the UK. Please share any you have, like your heat-treater.

I will be putting in an order for some more high carbon steel soon and I'll make sure I let you know first in case you want some.

Where do you get the rest of your supplies? I use Craft Supplies near Buxton, Axminster Tools and Texas Knifemaker Supplies as well as scavenging. Well, mostly scavenging......

Roger
Old 01-25-2001, 12:16 PM
andy gascoigne

Hi Roger, I hav'nt had much luck with the stainless but have managed to find a supplier of flat ground D2 and all types of other carbon steels in Sheffield. They sound a very friendly bunch of guys who like to talk steel and dont mind you having a scrounge around their warehouse for small quantities. I told them of your plans for a web site and they don't mind if you include a link to them at :-

They have supplied steel to other knife makers in the U.K.

Yes I have also used Craft Supplies at Millars Dale, they are not far from me. They have a wood stoor located on a farm away from the main shop, it's like walking into an Alladins cave of exotic timber.Well worth a visit.

Keep me informed on the web site and thanks for your interest.

Best regards
Andy.

Old 01-25-2001, 06:42 PM
alias61

Suppliers in UK

Hi there Andy, I am also from Derbyshire (Glossop)
Up to now I have never found good stainless steel in UK, but tool steels (O1, D2) can be found easily. I have obtained all my supplies from USA (expensive when they get you for VAT) also from Wolf Borger in Germany (no VAT) you could check him out. Give me a call off forum some time if you like.
Old 01-25-2001, 07:29 PM
Roger Gregory

Re: Suppliers in UK

Andy and Alias

What is it about Derbyshire and knives? I was born in Derby, spent my formative years there.

So, let's hear something about what you gentlemen have been making up there.

Down here in the swamps of Gloucestershire I try my hand at forging some blades. Some success last year, this years have been disastrous so far!

Roger

Old 01-26-2001, 12:58 PM
andy gascoigne

Aliais61, If you could please forward your email address to me I would be gratefull. Please can you give me more details on Wolf Borger in Germany, does he have a web site and what methode of payment does he accept?

Andy.
Old 01-26-2001, 01:03 PM
andy gascoigne

Sorry everyone for the mess I made in one of my previous posts the link to Phoenix Steel should have read

www.phoenix-sheffield.co.uk

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives