MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Nylotron

I saw where someone mentioned the use of nylotron washers made from sheet stock with folding blades. I wonder, is this material available in a variety of thicknesses (in sheets) and who the suppliers would be? Also, are there alternatives to nylotron which are oil resistant and durable? I'd like something in the .005 " range for smaller pocket folders. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Walker

PS I checked with Texas Knifemaker's Supply and they only have pre-cut nylotron washers which are the wrong size for what I am doing. And they do not have the sheet stock, nor did I see any other like materials mentioned.

Last edited by walker; 02-21-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Steel Addict

Page 1807 of the 2003/2004 MSC big book.

The stuff you're looking for is specialty nylon 6/6 black, MDS filled.

It looks like they don't stock it thinner than .020, though.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Nylotron is made in about any thickness you could want. Problem is, when I tried to buy from the suppliers it was only sold in rolls priced at $600. So, I think that's why you only see it available in a few sizes. Sheffields Knife Supply has it in .012 sheets ..........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Steel Addict

Try McMaster-Carr . They have a couple of different options. Do a search for both Nylatron and nylon MDS.

Tim
Old 02-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Skilled

The McMaster stuff is called Nylon 6/6. I bought some, but only in a .013 thickness was the smallest.

Ray... have you actually FOUND a source of nylatron in a thickness less than .010?

Old 02-23-2004, 08:36 AM

Jeff,

It's been over two years ago so my old memory isn't as clear as I would like, but I think they did have Nylotron in thicknesses less than .010.

I was emailing a plastics distributor and had to send him a sample of Nylotron that I had in order for him to be sure what compound I meant - apparently there is more than one. After showing it to some manufacturer's reps he said they could provide the material in 12" wide rolls that cost about $600 each. That was more than I would pay, naturally, and they weren't able to offer any smaller quantity to me. I'm pretty sure that he said it was available in most any thickness but I can't swear to that after all this time.

In the process of identifying the material I sent him, the distributor acquired some 2 foot long samples of .010, .012, and .025 sheets and sent them to me at no charge. That's what I have been using for the last few years ......

Old 02-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Skilled

What is the practical limit for washer thinness? Since washer thickness affects the height requirement for the detent ball on a liner-locking design, I'd assume that you could have a washer so thin that you could no longer have a properly functioning detent. I'd like to hear some dialog on this since I'm sure there is more to it than I am aware.

-Ben
Old 02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Steel Addict

Well, it ain't Nylotron, but I've been making .004" washers out of dbl edge razor blades. This works great for small slipjoints because the razors are stainless and will not wear out as quickly as nylotron. Nylorton would give you smoother action if you could find it in that size, but if you are making a knife that can not be taken apart, you may want to use something longer lasting. That's just my opinion though. Check out my tutorial on making the washers at: Washers from Razors

Hope this helps. -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 02-23-2004, 01:49 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I was digitally flipping through the Sheffield's Supply online catalog, and they stock washer material in thicknesses under .010. It's not nylatron, though. They carry PTFE nylon and phosphor bronze.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-23-2004, 03:48 PM

Ben,

I can't see any sense in using a washer that is thinner than the height of the detent ball on a liner lock. Slip joints are a different issue.

Chris,

I've been using Nylotron for at least 5 years and have never seen or even heard of a washer wearing out. This stuff is very tough.

Jamey,

Sheffield's 2002 - 2003 catalog, page 35, part# NYL-01 .012 x 9.75x12" Nylotron sheet $1.25 I can never find half the stuff I'm looking for in online catalogs. The printed books are much more useful to me ........

Old 02-23-2004, 04:03 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I thought he was looking for stuff under .010? Like in the .005 neighborhood?

They have the following in Teflon (PTFE):

Part# Thickness 6"x12" 12"x12"
PTFE01 .002" $1.75 $3.50
PTFE02 .003" $2.00 $3.75
PTFE03 .005" $2.50 $5.00
PTFE04 .010" $4.50 $9.25

In Phosphor Bronze they have .005"x12"x12" (part # BRZ-01) for $9.75 per sheet.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-23-2004, 06:23 PM

Jamey,

Yes, he was. I understood you to say that you didn't find Nylotron listed. Going back and reading more carefully, I see that was not correct. That's what happens when old people try to do too much too fast........

Old 02-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Master

I sure don't recommend the use of teflon for folder washers. Tefon compresses under pressure. Frank

Old 02-24-2004, 06:30 AM
Skilled

I was actually thinking of milling out the inside on my liners to accept at least .005 of the .012 thickness of that nylatron. I'm looking for a very thin profile, and obviously the smaller the folder the more critical this becomes. Anyone ever do this?

Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 AM

Ya, teflon is awful for washers.

Jeff,

I've never done that for washers but I have done it for pivots and that's the same principle. It sounds like a clever idea if you have the necessary precision. Of course, if you happen to be talking about a liner lock you'll still have to find a way to maintain clearance for the detent ball.......

Tags
blade, knife, knives