MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Gene, I have tried this, and the concept doesn't work out well with attaching scales to tapered tangs- especially on smallish knives, where I might only be able to get one thread of engagement on each side. I even went so far as to design a two-part fastener something like the corby bolts that Rick Hinderer was going to make for me, but his South Bend lathe wouldn't cooperate. I'm still working on alternate methods, but I'm not there yet.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 12-24-2002, 02:44 AM
Steel Addict

I do the same thing, using the pivots from halpern with the 4-40 screws..........having them sit up above the handle and countersink the inside of the handle....works great for me. if you have a problem with tapered tangs then drill the hole square before you taper the tang.

John 1:17
Love is Stronger than Death

Fight Crime-Shoot Back
Old 12-24-2002, 06:05 AM

Tom, counterboring the handle slabs for the threaded sleeves may be just the ticket. Thanks for the great idea!

I do my drilling wile the flats are still parallel (before tapering), so that's not the issue.

Merry Christmas!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 12-25-2002, 01:01 AM

I thought I said that !

Old 12-26-2002, 09:00 AM

Ken, you did, but the only thing missing was the concept of recessing the threaded sleeves into the handle material.

Merry Christmas!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 01-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi Don, long time no see. Sorry to hear about your problem, but I see the gun smith fixed it for you.

Take what the guys said about using oversize taps to heart. I suggest you buy them from your closest industrial supplier and specify the oversize "H"pitch diameter limit you want.

One reason the holes got smaller is that the metal grew into them a little when you heated it. Metal always grows when heated, and it goes where there is least resistance. Outside profiles, thickness, holes and voids.

When the steel is quenched, it contracts violently and the amount it contracts varies depending on the steel chemistry. Some tool steels return to near original size, and some don't.

Don't be a stranger.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi Don, long time no see. Sorry to hear about your problem, but I see the gun smith fixed it for you.

Take what the guys said about using oversize taps to heart. I suggest you buy them from your closest industrial supplier and specify the oversize "H"pitch diameter limit you want.

One reason the holes got smaller is that the metal grew into them a little when you heated it. Metal always grows when heated, and it goes where there is least resistance. Outside profiles, thickness, holes and voids.

When the steel is quenched, it contracts violently and the amount it contracts varies depending on the steel chemistry. Some tool steels return to near original size, and some don't.

Don't be a stranger.

Tags
blade, knife, knives