MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 PM

I have twin skylight vents and two end vents. I put a fan in the window and work with the doors open this time of year.

I did insulate mine, but I still need to do the inside of the roof. I'm waiting for cooler weather to tackle that fiberglass again.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Skilled

The skylights are a great ideal Andy. Hadn't even thought about that. Although when we remodel there'll be a bonus room over the shop, I'm going to turn my shop into a greenhouse/potting shed for the wife. I could go ahead in put in the skylights now...uh, for the wife of course. ;~)

Don't blame you about the fiberglass...over head...in the summer...on a latter...GRRRR! I'm actually considering that roll, foil backed bubble wrap stuff. It claims to reflect 90% of radiant heat. Has anyone tried that? It's easy to install and fairly inexpensive.

chiger,
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Skilled

I'll go along with your statement that "a poor craftsman blames his tools" up to a point. A "sturdy" work bench is a real benefit that is not to be overlooked. There are some things that you will do that you want as little vibration or shaking as you can get. It just makes the work easier.

I was going to take a picture of my bench but after seeing the one Shane posted, I'll just say that it has two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together for a top, with a knifemakers vice and a 6" heavy machinist vice on either side of a work area. The whole thing is about 8? long and 3' deep. It has worked real well but would be better attached to a wall rather than free standing. One thing is to keep it relatively narrow. If it is too wide you have to get up every time you need something hanging on the back board. To me 3? is plenty wide enough and might be too wide. It can?t be long enough. Good lighting is a must. It helps looking for scratches and ripples if you have access to several different kinds of lighting.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast

Folks, I can't thank you enough for the great advice and ideas.

I will post pics once the floor and benches are done.

Thanks

Lee

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Lee,

Here's another item to scrounge for. Someone here mentioned lights. Look around for a flourescent light with a magnifying lens. I've seen a couple at auctions, I guess older folks use them to read. Anyway--light + magnification = ability to see imperfections and correct them.

Nathan
Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

Nathan, I swear by those mag-lights. I have 2 already and am putting another on the finishing desk. I always have one close by, if for nothing else than my eyes aint as young as they once were.

Good call.

Lee

Old 08-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Lee,

Since you're building your benches in, here is something that I've been wanting to build above my bench, but haven't gotten to yet. I hand file all of my blades, and have all my files laid out in a drawer in my rolling toolbox. What I've been wanting to build is a holder to let them hang vertically above my bench, right next to the vice where I do most of the work. You may have thought of it already, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Nathan
Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Skilled

Nathan makes a great point Lee. Having your tools at your finger tips sure makes the work a lot more enjoyable. I get tired of chasing tools from one station to the next. Or having to go back over to the roll around for a punch.

I've tried using some of those long magnets (from Harbor Freight of course) screwed up here and there to hold stuff. The only problem with those is they'll eventually magnetize whatever you stick to 'um. Keeps ya knocking off the iron shavings.

But they're handy for some stuff.

chiger,
Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

I've been thinking about this for awhile and think I may try getting a piece of 2x2 or 3x3 and using a paddle bit and drilling some holes for the files and such and attaching it to the bench. There is definately going to be some peg board all over the place.

By the way, more pics are up in my thread in the Newbies Arena. Floors done and the first bench is too.

Lee

Old 01-23-2011, 01:12 AM

I called around to the local door shops and for $25 got a solid-core door that they had drilled the wrong door-knob holes in. Found another one by the dumpster behind a glass shop. Both of them are very heavy, and flat within 1/16" overall. I screwed and glued a 2 x 6 frame under them. (I straightened the edges of the 2 x 6's with a sled on my table saw.) I used 4 x 4's for legs, and one of the benches on garage sale wheels because my shop is small.

Tags
forging, knife, knife making, knives