MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM

measuring squareness

I think that the holes that I am drilling in the blades of the folders are not exactly square to the surface of the blade. I have checked the drill press itself and it is out of true by 2/1000 " 3" from the center of the spindle which I would think would be close enough yet when I construct the knives I sometimes end up with the blade not ying square to the rest of the folder. Is there a tool out there that will measure whether or not a hole is square to the surface extremely accurately?
Thanks
Steve

Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Maybe the problem isn't the drill press, doesn't really sound like it. Maybe the pivot isn't really square to the liners. No matter how super accurate you are with measurements blades don't always lay the way we want them too. Does it function properly? That's the important part. If the blade binds or hits a liner you may have to change the techniques you follow when building your knives. If your blade is simply off center you can probably find ways to adjust it.

But, if you really want to know about your blade's pivot hole there's no need to spend thousands on the latest laser measuring device. Put a steel rod through the pivot hole and use a right angle square or a protractor to measure all four sides. It will be close enough to tell if there's a problem....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Any time you move the table on a drill press it's out of alignment again. Be sure you take the slack out after moving the table by making the last movement upward. That lets the screw support the table.

Also, if you apply too much pressure when drilling the table may flex downward.

I wouldn't expect any hole made on a drill press to be square.

Also, if the holes in one scale aren't exactly aligned with the holes in the other scale at assembly, the blade will be forced off center.

You're a good knifemaker, Steve. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a milling machine that will hold alignment.

Tags
blade, knife, knifemaker, knives