MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-12-2001, 12:52 AM
eadus

After working the knife for a couple of hours I dis-assemble the folder and I now do the final fitup, first checking that the bar is flush with the top of the frame in the open position, if it has dropped in a tad I grind it flush and finish with 1200 grit. I now remove metal from point 1 (see earlier installment) with a A16 trisac belt and carefully adjust the bar in the closed position to sit flush with the frame. I usually have too remove the baled from the frame quite a few times until I'm happy. If the tip of the blade starts to move out of the frame remove a bit from the kick (point 2).

With the final adjustment done I remove the blade and polish off any scratches, gegrease with acetone and paint the tang, lock notch, inside the pivot hole and surrounds with nail polish. Figure 49 shows what I mean.

Figure 49

Next step is the jewel the frame and bar. Assemble the spacer, spring and bar on one half and scribe their inside outline on the frame, repeat for the other half. Usually I only jewel up to this line but in this case I've done all the inside of the frame except the circle that the tang rides on. I use a little tool I bought from Koval Knife Supply some years ago, it uses cratex points and it's excellent. The tool fits in the drill press and I lay the frame on a block of wood which has a pice of leather glued to it to prevent scratching. Figure 50 shows the frame halves and bar jewelled together with the tool.

Figure 50

I now etch the blade and in this case I'm using battery acid (weak sulphuric acid - 30%). It gives me a bright etch and takes about 40 minutes to get the desired result. Figure 53 shows the etched blade (I apologize for the quality of this image, the light today is a bit bright but you get the idea). I've also put my logo on and I usually sharpen the blade at this stage.

Figure 53

Right the folder is now ready for final assembly which I do in 2 stages. Stage 1: I assemble the spacer, spring, bar and blade pivot pin with its bearing on one half and then the second half. I now peen the two spacer pins (don't be afraid to really hit these) making sure that the pins really swell out into the holes, I grind then down a bit and go over them with the ball end of my hammer. Stage 2: I remove the pivot pin (and bearing), put the bearing in the blade and insert the blade into the frame and insert the pin. Clamping the top of the frame with a pair of needle nose vice grips I peen the blade pivot pin, first one side and then the other. I grind a bit off the swelled pin and go over with the ball end to make sure the pin has swelled out properly. Don't be afraid of hitting it too hard, I really belt mine ptetty hard. Figure 52 shows all the parts ready for assembly, Figure 51 shows my "peening post" which is a stamping punch from a metal fabricator (yes that's the overseer in the background) and Figure 54 is my hammer, it's a small ball peen.

Figure 52

Figure 51 and the "Boss"

Figure 54

Figure 55 shows the knife clamped in the vice grip pliers, the piece of pigskin prevents scratches.

Figure 55

I remove the clamp and add a few drops of machine oil to the mechanism and depress the lock-bar. GREAT!!! everything works fine and even if it was a bit tight by opening and closing the blade a few time things WILL free up, believe me. Figure 56 shows the folder in the closed position with the peened pins visible.

Figure 56

I now open the knife and grind almost all the pins down to the frame on the 10"contact wheel using a 240 grit belt. I then slack belt grind/polish start with the A65 grit trisac belt and finish with a worn A16 belt. Finally I wash the whole knife out with automotive prep-wash and blow dry with compress air, add a couple of drops of whale oil AND THAT'sIT BABY another one finished. Figure 57 shows the finished piece, serial number 010101.

Figure 57 The finished knife.

Tonight I will be seeing my mate who's the engraver and we'll discuss what would go well on this knife. I'm going to call it "THE FORUM".
I hope you all have enjoyed this project as much as I have and don't forget that if you have any questions or comments feel free.
In the meantime, regards from the Lucky Country.
Old 01-16-2001, 08:16 PM
eadus

Well gents, here's the finished product.

Regards from Australia

Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to Andreotti
this tutorial can be repost?
i would like to see, and built a folder.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry about my english.

Alessandro Andreotti

Old 12-18-2007, 04:12 AM
Skilled

Alessandro,
there is a copy in the workshop area with the photo's included, its a great tutorial, enjoy.
http://knifenetwork.com/workshop/tut..._charity.shtml
brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to Andreotti
Thank you Brett.

Regards.

Alessandro Andreotti

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knives