MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rene E. Roy
Question Looking for a new digital camera.

Hey Guys..I am looking for a new digital camera..can you suggest some...I have an old HP which is about to die....looking to spend $400-$800 but will consider up to $1000, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lifemember NCCA
New England Custom Knife Assoc.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Skilled

I have a Sony f-828 digicam. 8 megapixel with a F2-2.8 28-200mm Carl Zeiss lens (Fast lens!) I honestly have zero complaints about it whatsoever. The battery life far exceeds any camera Ive owned before, giving me almost 5 full hours of life WITH the lcd on...Its a larger camera, cna you can take high res movies with sound if you have a big enough card....tons of features...night vision, all the normal do-dads....

It really depends what you are looking for, but i cant say a bad thing about the camera. I came off a Nikon N80 SLR camera, and can basically do anything manual I did with that on the Sony. You cant change out the lens, but you;d be hard pressed to find a stand alone lens with F2.8 @200mm for less than the price of the whole camera, so ive never had any desire for a different lens (well, maybe a true 1:1 200mm F1.8 macro lens, haha)

http://www.schottknives.com
Old 04-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Before you spend a nickel: What's your intention? Prints or webphotos only? There's about a $500 difference. Really.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

Coop,
I want to do it all...Print and Web.

Lifemember NCCA
Old 04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

Ren..A Nikon D50 is a great camera for the money you may also want to look into the Sony R1 it has some great glass on it and the price is great
Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 AM

There are so many new cameras that work well it makes my head spin. The preferred favorites to do some research is www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com.

Like all things digital, last year's model is half the cost and may work as well as you need. Look at what is being offered on eBay for instance.

Both David's and Nathan's suggestions are good. I used a Sony F717 which made full page magazine shots. You can find it used for about $300-$400 nowadays.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 04-11-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
There are so many new cameras that work well it makes my head spin. The preferred favorites to do some research is www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com.

Like all things digital, last year's model is half the cost and may work as well as you need. Look at what is being offered on eBay for instance.

Both David's and Nathan's suggestions are good. I used a Sony F717 which made full page magazine shots. You can find it used for about $300-$400 nowadays.

Coop
Thanks Guys...my old HP Photosmart 720 is holding on by a thread...it's in bad shape..works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't...I will go explore Steve's-digicams and dpreview

....can I ask another question? What type of lense or lenses do I want for close up photography?

Lifemember NCCA
Old 04-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Rene..go into dpreview and look at the forums...they have a forum for every brand of camea there is ..go into the forums and look at soem photos people post and you can get a good look at what the camera can do...there are alot of good ones out there.....Yo need a macro...take a look at the Tamron 28-75 it is sharp and the price is good on it...Coop uses it on his canon..and you see the results

Last edited by Nathan House; 04-11-2006 at 03:30 PM.