MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 10-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Help with my digital camera

Good day to all you photographers.

I would value your advice about two things. I have a Kodak DC 280 camera I bought several years ago to make photos of my knives for my web site. It was state of the art at the time, but I know there are many on the market now that will beat it.

The camera has frozen up on me. Won't turn on or off. I changed the batteries, ejected the card, etc., as the Kodak web site suggests. Unless you can suggest something else, looks like it's dead.

Let me say that I'm not a photographer, and don't have any interest in the field, except that I need to make reasonable pictiures of my knives. Sorry about that, fellows. I'm a knifemaker, and prefer to spend my time doing that. To each his own, huh?

I haven't kept up with digital camera evolvement, so I would like your opinions on the best replacement for under $400 if possible. I paid $800 for the Kodak.

What do you recommend to take well defined color pictures of knives and jewelry? All shiny items. The DC 280 has an optical closeup feature, but it doesn't really work well. There must be something better on the market now that can focus at somewhere around 2 or 3 inches for a ring, out to a field large enough for knives. I hope, anyway.

My son's Canon cameras have always made better scenery pictures than the Kodak.

I apologize for the intrusion by a dirty fingernailed old wornout knifemaker. Maybe I can return the favor sometime.

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:06 PM

Don, same guestion, different forum, but maybe it can help.

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthread...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Old 10-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Registered

Avoid Kodak altogether, and Canon at the <$400 level.

The Sony's at that price have better light/color controls, albeit they are strange and quirky.

Another option is Fujifilm. Excellent cameras at a good price.

If you want more specific information on digital cameras, go to www.dpreview.com

They have reviews for a lot of digital cameras, and forums to support their respective fans.

Best of luck.

Dan

Old 10-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Whew!!

Maybe I did this right, then. I looked at the sites suggested, made a lot of detailed comparisons online, then bit the bullet and bid on a new Canon S50 and won it. It comes with an extra 64mb card, a card reader, and case.

Got it for $485.

Did I do good? :confused:

Coop, if you're there, please chime in. I really like your photos of knives.

Thanks for the good advise.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:21 PM

Don,

You done good. Every time I look at the reviews on DPReview.com, they point towards Canon. Plus you got a nice package and the price is right. That's a good 5.0 megapixel camera and you can even do up to an 8x10 pic with it.

I like that it has a 'custom' white balance setting to adjust your white balance with a sheet of pure white paper and it will correct accordingly after you shoot that.

Please let us see your pics after you learn all about it... (In about a month or so! ) I'm still finding things on my Sony.

Good advice given and good research.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 10-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Hall of Famer

It won't take a month, Coop. I needed it rat now because I'm finishing up two little custom pocket knives for a customer. I don't let them get away any more before I get pictures. My old camera died while I was taking pictures of the first one.

This will be my fourth digital camera, so I'm not unfamiliar with them. For years I had made so many knives and depended on 35 mm films that frequently didn't turn out right. Lots of them got to the buyers without having a picture for record.

I bought one of the first generation digitals, and have replaced them with state-of-the art several times. This is the first one that simply died, though.

Thanks for the tip about white balance. I'll check that out when I get the camera next week.

I ought to be able to get sharp closeups of my jewelry and knives now without resorting to cropping and re-sizing.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Registered

PAWN SHOPS

Hey there don,
I do suggest going to two or three different pawn shops and looking at their cameras. Then check them out on the internet. I found an absolute steal for $40. It did not have a power supply but I found a universal one at my local electronic store. It is a couple years old but it is more than satifactory. I now need to take all my pictures over again because I was using a Kodak DC215. I was having the same trouble. I took the batteries out and left them out for a day. I put fresh ones in and in a couple minutes later it was working again, but i finally decided it was time to move on. I hope you find what you are looking for without haveing to spend alot.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Registered

Helps if i read the entire thread before i post. Hope you enjoy your new camera.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Hall of Famer

I got my new Canon S50 about three weeks ago. Like Coop said, it's taken me this long to figure most of it out, enough to do what I want, anyway.

I haven't had to crop or zoom on any of the photos I've taken so far. The camera works. Now I'm learning and experimenting with light boxes like Coop's and lighting. I found a bargain floor lamp with an articulating arm at Home Depot and bought a "daylight" bulb for it. Now I need one more to reduce shadow effect. And another to shine a light from below. The daylight bulb and setting the white balance works pretty well.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by BuffaloValley
Helps if i read the entire thread before i post. Hope you enjoy your new camera.
That's quite all right, Buff. I'm spending alot of time with the new camera.

Tags
knives