MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

View Poll Results: Are you a blue collar or white collar worker?
White collar 55 36.91%
Blue collar 94 63.09%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Skilled

Hey There,
I will go with blue collar. I am a cable splicer/cable repairman for the local telephone company. I also am a journeyman electrician. So I have worked in construction and the out doors most all my life. I grew up on a farm and pretty much always carried a knife. Now I make them in my spare time. I just bought a new SOG kilowatt knife that I am quit pleased with. I have been switching back and forth between it and my puma damascus folder.
This is my first reply/post on this sight, Thanks Shane--S.P.A.Knives
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Went from blue to white - kinda.
Did the auto mechanic thing from 15-30 and have since moved on to the technonlogy sector. Servers,communication, and LANs for the school district.
Avid hunter fisherman, all around outdoors person.

Its all starts with the knife.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

dont have any collars retired used knife to cut them off
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

Firefighter/emt, definitely blue. One day at the station and two days building knives. I guess that's two full time jobs. Brad
Old 09-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Skilled

Im kind of both! I sit at a desk half a day and the other im on the floor. Mostly blue coller. But I wouldnt call myself a knifemaker just yet either.
I have made a couple things that kinda look like knifes.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Check out my website.
www.crystalcreekknives.com
Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

White collar now, from research biochemist to network systems administator to college professor to hopeful knifemaker. I have worked as a Vet's assistant, pathology lab tech, and several years on a pulpwood yard. Carry a Kershaw (1530, I think) everywhere I go.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Skilled

Cool My day job, w/ pictures!

Hey Guys, this is an interesting post! Well, my "day" job, I build custom trucks, the big ones! I cut trucks in half, and stretch them or shrink them down to make them into grain haulers for the farm economy. As an example, the longest truck I have cut down was 28'-6" from the back of the cab to the end of the frame! Yes, this was a straight truck! I'm standing between the front and the back of this truck I'm working on. A friend that I welded with 30 years ago asked me, "So what do you use to weld the trucks back together with? I told him, 7018 stick weld. He said, "We can put a man on the moon, but we still use 7018 stick welding!" How true!! --- Yes, I carry a "folder" daily. ---Jon

Old 10-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Steel Addict

Somma both for me. I am a professional project manager for telecomunications companies like ATT and MetroPCS. Currently at Metro managing a projecr swapping out the old equipment in the field on their sites for new ones. I spend a Lot of time on the computer and phone working out details and then a lot of time out on site making sure it gets done right and on time.
In the past I have been on both sides of the fence, hard hat and steel toes then other jobs suit and tie.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Skilled

White for me. I'm a UNIX/IT engineer, sometimes manage departments, sometimes being managed (though just barely ). Currently unemployed, so I guess I'm not wearing any collars at the moment. It does give me freedom to be a full time pipe maker and knife maker though.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:48 PM

In the spirit of Halloween...

Here's a shot of me at work taken about 4 or 5 years ago. I guess I'm a tan collar.

I'm on the right.

The cat on the left is one of the maintenance guys at the hospital who dressed up as me for Halloween! The funny part is that he has really pale red hair--very Irish dude.

NO ONE recognized him!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 11-30-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

I'm a mine maintenance superintendent by day. By night a knife maker when she lets me.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Retired law enforcement officer, 30 years. Blue collar all the way.
Now run a 43 foot charter fish boat on the Chesapeake Bay. Somebody has to do it.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Steel Addict

Blue collar here, Retired Air Force as a radio repairman and now I spend my days as a elecronis technician for a local company.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Steel Addict

I put on my white collar in the morning and go to work as a telecommunications engineer.

When I get home I change into my blue collar and go out to feed the cows and do chores.
Most of my life was spent in blue collar jobs, mechanic, carpenter, heavy equipment operator and oiler.

I can?t hardly live without doing something with my hands besides punching computer keys!!

I carry a Ka-Bar folder that I?ve had for 10 years.

Joe

Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 PM

I suppose I'm a grey collar. I still have to get out and do grunt work every now and then.

Drove trucks and ran heavy equipment for 30 years. I guess they felt sorry for me where I work now and gave me a job where all I do now is ride around in a pick-up and keep an eye on contractor crews and make sure they're doing what they're supposed to be doing in the manner in which they agreed to do it.

Sounds simple. The easiest part has been gaining 50 lbs in the 5 years I've been bouncing around in my pee-cup truck.

I get along with most of 'em pretty good. Got 2 crews from south of the border that call me EENSPECTOR OJETE ( Inpsector A$$hole)because I make 'em tow the line. I speak the lingo too. THAT upsets 'em more than anything.

I carry a very well worn old SWISSTOOL, and a big ol MOORE MAKER trapper made by Camillus on my belt. What I've got in my pocket varies from day to day. Here lately it's been a MOORE MAKER 3 spring whittler by Queen, that I traded for. I'm partial to I*XL and older Solingen pocket knives.
Willie

Last edited by Owd Wullie; 03-13-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Tags
back, bee, blade, brand, custom, damascus, fixed blade, folding knife, forging, hammer, how to, hunting knife, iron, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, kydex, military, pocket, randall, sheath, spyderco, steel, wood