MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:33 PM
nosborn

Knife from an old gun barrel?

My father's old 22 finally died (stupid brother tried to put the firing pin/hammer in backwards - when it didn't fit, he tried to "nudge" it in with a hammer) and while the gun wasn't worth anything to begin with, it still held a lot of memories for my dad.

It's an old Marlin .22 tube loader, probably from the 50's. I'm going to hot cut into the bore, forge it flat, harden and test it. In the latest version of Blade they detailed a gun barrel steel (4140?) that has lead in it - could the lead present a health hazard when in the forge, or when using the knife? If it won't harden I could make a San Mai blade... maybe.

Anyway, any help/cautions you could give me would be really helpful. It's going to be a fun project - I just want to be sure of the safety before I start messing around.

Take care,

Nathan
Old 06-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Ed Caffrey

I think you'll find that most gun barrels are made of 4140. This steel only has .40% carbon, and will only slightly harden. The best bet is to San-Mai it with a more desirable blade steel, such as 1084 or maybe even O-1 or 52100.
Several years ago I produced 3 knives for a gentleman who's father had passed him down an old damascus double barrel shotgun. I used 52100 for the cores and used the damascus barrel as the overlay. It worked very nicely, and the customer was very happy with the results. Let us know how the project progesses!

Old 06-04-2002, 02:57 PM
nosborn

Any health/safety concerns with the lead in the alloy? (nt)

nt
Old 06-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Riffiki

Interesting idea! I have and old Glenfield(low dollar Marlin) .22 that the action is worn out in I may just try the same with it.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:40 PM
Diamond G Knives

Spoke to a fellow once that made muzzle loader barrels from the bits from a air driven jack hammer. He said that they were prebored, he just had to rifle them, plus they were already octagonal.
He may have been feeding me a line of BS, I was bartending at the time.
Anyone know what the bits are made of?
Think he was getting them from the rock quarry.

Mike
Old 06-06-2002, 06:09 AM
Ed Caffrey

Jack hammer bits are routinely either S-5 or S-7. The only portion that is bored is a section of the the shank (the part that fits into the jack hammer) for approx 3-4". There is a variety of bit that is bored all the way through, for the use of coolant feed, but the hole is only about 1/8" on this type. It might be feasable to build a barrel from this type of jack hammer bit, but it would require the bore to be enlarged considerably. Sounds like the guy who told you that might have had "one too many"

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives