MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 03-05-2001, 09:38 PM
Little Hen Knives

Etching...which machine?

Well I`ve had it with trying the ole battery charger trick , my letters come out fuzzy and unreadable.....the question is what kind of etchers are out there which has the most bang for the buck....and how much is it gonna rape my wallet for:cool:
Old 03-06-2001, 06:43 AM
george tichbourne

Fuzzy and unreadable are parameters of either bad stencil or excessively long etch time.
Old 03-06-2001, 09:42 AM
Mike Conner

What chemicals ans stencils are you using? I had a lot of trouble with mine before I switched to the ones made by Marking Methods. Since then I have been very pleased with the results.
I thought it was my etching unit too. I had been using one of the Personalizer Plus units that I bought from Jantz supply and thought it was the unit, so I found one of the Marking Methods units on ebay and bought it for a lot more than I gave for the Personalizer new and it didn't help a bit until I got some etching solutins and new stencils from Marking Methods.
Now I can get equally good marks from either machine and am convinced that I could do as well with a battery charger.
Just my 2 cents.
Mike
Old 03-06-2001, 02:35 PM
MJHKNIVES

I use the same type as Mike C.,MM,and get excellent results w/it.A few years ago,I started getting fuzzy etching,I switched from their gold stencils to their green and hav'nt had a problem since.MIKE
Old 03-06-2001, 03:46 PM
Don Cowles

Absolutely stick with the green stencils- the rubbery green ones; not the flimsy fabric green ones. The thin yellow and green stencils (which, by the way, the folks at Marking Methods will try to sell you) will ruin a knife quicker than throwing it at a moving disk sander.
Old 03-10-2001, 06:33 PM
Shotgunone

I built an etching machine. 24 volts AC / DC. It is similar to the personalizer but with more voltage. Even more voltage that the personalizer plus but not variable.

However I have not every used it except to play with. I have not had any stencils made that is. I even bought a roll of that stencil material but have never used it. It will make and etch you can feel with your finger nail and turns it black too.

I think I am going to stick with stamps for a while. ???

Might sell it?????????
Old 03-12-2001, 10:40 PM
Bill Foote

I just got Marking Methods brochure today. The Mark300K is very nice. It shoud be for $725.00. I'll have to wait on that one. I'm looking for a rheostat to add to my battery charger. So fae I've added banana jacks, AC/DC switch and on on/off switch. The charger already has a 6VDC/12A and a 12VDC/6A switch. I left the original leads on it so I can still use it for a battery charger. Waiting on the green stencils with my logo.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:36 PM
Eric Shaw

Etching - Which machine?

Check out this company
www.img-electromark.com
I have had great experiences with this N.Y. based company. The prices are far more reasonable than the left coast company. They are personable and very helpful (they advertise in BLADE Magazine). The Presidents name is Dave and Matt is the sales dept. Tell them Eric sent you. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Eric Shaw
www.shawcustomknives.com
eric@shawcustomknives.com
Old 06-05-2001, 07:53 PM
winstonknives

I built my etcher from parts from radio shack. About six parts including box. Cost about $40. It has AC & DC and works just fine. I think these high priced etchers are a rip.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:05 PM
Bob Warner

I have the AC/DC personalizer plus. I make my own stencils from the green material. The only time I got fuzzy etches was when I got the pad to wet.

I would not change machines but play a little with what you have to figure out what you are doing that can be done better.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:13 PM
Krazedjosh

Anyway you could post what you got to make your etcher? I'm a newbie and really could use the help. thanks

Old 10-22-2001, 08:14 AM
Bill Foote

I always get sharp dark logos using my small battery charger.
I modified it a little. I tapped off the output of the transformer before the rectifier to get AC and terminated it at two banana jacks on the front. I also installed an on/off switch. This batt. chager has a 12V/6A output. I use marking methods electrolyte with a graphite block for an electrode covered with a piece of felt. I rest the knife on a graphite plate attached to the other lead. Make sure you use Marking Methods green stencils and be sure they are taped on laying very flat against the blade. I use a series of 12 press and releases to let thew steam escape and make a perfect mark. Use Marking Methods Cleaner afterwards.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:37 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Most bang for the buck? From what I here that would be the one Ron Claiborne makes!!! I have my older in for one, at less then $200 it will be hard to beat.

Contact Ron at bowie@icx.net with your serious inquiries.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:28 PM
Ray Murski

etching machine from Radio Shack

These drawings were giving to me by Allen Blade several years ago. I have not made this but it looks like a electro chemical etcher.

Old 10-22-2001, 11:32 PM
Ray Murski

page 2

Tags
blade, knife