MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 01-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Steel Addict

need a 10" contact wheel

looking fo a 10" contact wheel prefer serrated but would take smooth if price is right also needs 3/4" arbor hole let me know what you got laying around thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Skilled

In the past you could pick up a 10" wheel from Grizzly Tool. Be sure to tell them you want it balanced.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Here's a different outlet...For the past couple days I have been working with this company to find a contact wheel for myself, as I am unwilling to pay the $150 on up. They are very knowledgable and have a bunch of great products. Now I am building my own 2x72 belt grinder and through these guys I found my contact wheel.

http://www.bulldogcaster.com/

Now obviously some of their items won't be useable in our trade, but some are. Also a lot less expensive. I am getting an 8 inch smooth faced, aluminum centered, with bearings for under $35.00, new! Not bad huh?! I highly recommend these guys! Just send them an email and let them know what you are looking for.

Chris Nilluka
Old 03-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Steel Addict

Chris,
Who was your point-of-contact there...or does it matter? Can they do serrated (or treaded, since it is actually a wheel)?
Thanks for the great lead! I was about to make a deal with Chicago Rubber for big bucks.

To be honest, I was even looking at lawnmower wheels as a contact wheel! Maybe I'll get one anyway and play around with it. Wouldn't that make a great tutorial? Ha!

Andy

Old 03-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Steel Addict

Chris,

I believe you will have to change the bearings that come with them. Roller bearings won't hold up at belt grinder speeds.
I've changed an 8" out, but have yet to use it.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

I'm very interested to see how this pans out, and would love to hear your experience with the $35 wheel! Keep us posted!!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Any word here fellas... I'm DYIN to know the verdict here..... This is just too good to be true... Or is it??
Old 03-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Steel Addict

Hey Razor,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. Actually, my contact wheel investigation led me to the conclusion that I should go with a known element to get started. So, I bought a JET Multitool grinder attachment with an 8" serrated contact wheel and a platten. It should arrive tomorrow. I have seen no reviews of this particular model, so I will reveal all that I discover when I start grinding on it.

I was concerned with bearings on the Bulldog castor and especially the lawnmower wheel, so I opted to save that experiment for later.

However, I do have my eye on a 10" lawnmower wheel and will be making good on that project in the future. My goal will be to use the cheapest products available to assemble a working belt grinder and then make a simple knife with it. Pictures of both will be posted in the thread when the time comes, so keep your eyes open.

Chris may still have some good info on the $35 wheel. He is very active on the forums. You won't have any trouble finding him.

Andy

Old 03-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, thanks bud, I got in touch with him. Look forward to hearing back...
Old 03-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Steel Addict

I dunno if this will do anybody any good but there is a ebay listing for two bader 12" wheels , they are 3" wide 3/4 shaft size. the bid is at 55.00 at the present. look under belt grinders.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Uh,
Unless I have MISSED the one's you speak of, then the ony one's I see are 14" diameter, and 3" wide. They are also 1 1/2" arbor hole size.....
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 AM
Steel Addict

You are so right Mr. hunter....They are as you discribed. I am sorry all for the eronius info..I get coinfused easily. I got them mixed up with This

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...872823666&rd=1

Its a industial wheel/ caster 12" x 2 3/8 x 25 mm ball bearing for 14. 95 i think . if you check out his other auctions there are also 8" x 2" and 6"x 2" wheels . I am serious coincidering . might hafta have them trued up though but for 6 and 10 bucks plus shipping . might b worth it.

Terry
Old 04-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

Gentlemen,
I've used a wheel that i bought at Dunn and Company for, 5 years now and the only gripe i have is that i need a stronger spring so that the belt would run truer. there is nothin' wrong with the 8 in. wheel that i use as a contact wheel that i purchased from them for a lot less that you see in the catalogs and other places. I was able to specify shaft diameter. make sure they don't bevel the egdes/corners on the wheel if you order from them.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Nate,
I'm very interested to see this "Dunn" wheel.
Do you have an up close picture to post???
pc79@bellsouth.net is my email..... Thank you sir...
Old 04-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Santino,

I just purchased a used Bader III, and it came with a serrated 10" wheel. Condition of the wheel is used and does not have sharp edges on the edge of the wheel. You would need a bearing and spindle. I'm selling it for $125.00 plus shipping. If interested, my email is Jeffpelz@Hotmail.com . Or here's is another seller of contact wheels www.contactrubber.com .

Jeff

Tags
knife