MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 01-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

Turned Wooden Dagger Grip

Hello,

I am trying to find turned wooden grips with a nice graceful spiral for a hidden tang dagger blade. Something that will accept a twisted wire. Anyone know if there is a source for these?

Thanks,

Ike
Old 02-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Steel Addict

That is something you need to make for yourself, Eichler. That's why no one is answering you.
I have just got off the phone with a wood turner to make me some dowles out of the wood I sent him. But I will buy a wood lathe to make my handles more art'y as I practice my skills.
Howard
Old 02-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Howard,

Yeah, I have searched high and low and can't find anyone that sells anything like what I want. I will have to make it, but without a lathe, its going to be tough. I can get a friend to turn the cylinder but cutting those grooves is beyond me. On a metal lathe its a snap, albeit even the largest threads are much smaller then I want, but on wood and with that size, I'm thinking it has to be by file and sand paper. Lots of paper. I was even hoping there might be a wood lathe jig available, but I can't find anything.

And I want to cut the grooves deep enough to inset a twisted wire in the high point of the ridges, but I am not looking forward to all the wasted wood. I figure I'll practice on scrap and not even go near the good stuff for a long time.

Ike
Old 02-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Steel Addict

Pick up a copy of "The Master Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. He tells how to make these, no lathe required. I haven't tried one myself, but it's on my "to do" list.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
There was an article in Blade magazine (I think it was Blade) ten or fifteen years ago that showed in great detail how to make fluted handles with hand tools. Actually, I think the round blank was turned with a drill press. I'll try to find it tonight and scan it. If I can find it, I'll post it on my server so you can take a look at it.

It's not difficult, it just takes time.

[Edited to add]

Take a look at this thread: http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....fluted+handles

We've discussed this before. (I did a search for "fluted handles".) There are some pretty good ideas in this thread.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Last edited by Jamey Saunders; 02-05-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Steel Addict

If you have a dremmel you can make your own.
You need to rotate the dowel and rotate grind the same time down the dowel to make a spiral. So that means you need two axles. One down the dowel itself and a threaded jig that will have a clamp for your dremmel to come down the dowel at the timming you want.
The whole thing can be acomplished with wood framming 1/4"x20 theaded rod and bike intertube section to belt the two axles together and scrap brass to build the clamp for the dremmel.
The rest is up to you! Don't be intimidated, cut up 2x4 scrap is good practice until you get the look you want.
Good Luck!
Howard
Old 02-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard Rich
If you have a dremmel you can make your own.

The whole thing can be acomplished with wood framming 1/4"x20 theaded rod and bike intertube section to belt the two axles together and scrap brass to build the clamp for the dremmel.
Good Luck!
Howard
OK I'll bite....got a pic of this set up:confused:

I think I was ok until the bike intertube got in....

Old 02-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Steel Addict

The "Bike" interube section is a rubber band to connect the two axles. This allows the hand cranking of one axle to rotate the second axle, and yet not binding the two axles like gears which is unforgiving.
This is the best I can do with out drawing it.
Sorry!
Howard
Old 02-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Talis Send a message via MSN to Talis Send a message via Yahoo to Talis
Hi,

I have that issue of blade in my collection, don't think it was that long ago(10-15 yrs) but I'll check around, and see if I can find it for you. I remember it showing how to build a small wood machine that I think held a pencil, which in turn drew multi lines that where then used as guides for filing out the sprial...

I'll post again when I find it...

Talis

Inquire's: mbkco@mbkco.com
Old 02-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

Ya know

That's why I LOVE this forum!

If anyone can find and scan in those articles, great, I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ike
Old 02-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

Does the handle have to be wood? You can purchase buffalo horn in a spiral shape.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Steel Addict

If you find a buffalo with spiral horns....call me! I'll buy the whole buffalo!

Soft wood is just a good to practice with!
Old 02-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

I messed up on my posting--see the post for spiral handle--gives you some links on buffalo material and spiral handle made from buffalo.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Bedgood
Our co. Dragons fire forge can do this type of handle in all exotic woods. We can do the wood turning, fluting right up to and including the wire if needed. As for the fluting I can email you the plans to make your own fluting tool then all you would need is the wood turned. It is not hard to make or expensive. If you are wanting to do more wood handles it would be best if you can to get a wood lathe. I little practice and you will be turning with the best of them. It doesnt hurt that its fun eather. Grizzly.com has there model G8691 that sells for 149.95 that serves us well for all our handles.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Registered

wood turned handles

Talis
I also remember that issue of I believe it was "Knives Illustrated" magazine. I loaned mine to someone but would love to buy that issue if you want to sell and also an issue on handle making using DuPonts "Corian" material. I have been checking the Treasure Chest (dumpster) behind a countertop company and have a large amount of scrap pieces. Most are large enough for 4-6 handles. Thanks for any help

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, knife, knives