MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Steel Addict

I love this thread!!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Living Legend

No problems, Jerry...

I just hadn't thought of trying that method till I read your post on this thread. I know its an "old" technique.

When was doing it I was actually NOT trying to do the edge, just the convexed area above the edge. But obviously the loose fibres on the buff did get to the very edge. The angle is still very good, so it wasn't buffed away and yes, it did a good job of removing the wire. Of course, it will work best on convex edges, or will turn a crisp cut edge bevel into a washed-out convex edge ... Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-27-2003, 04:17 PM

Regarding the green buffing compound, I would rely on Jerry's advice. He has a hundred times the amount of experience I have. I think the reason the green worked for me was I did not go to as fine a grit as Jerry and needed something with a little cutting action to do the buffing. I haven't tried it yet but I am sure Jerry's method is superior.

I alway thought green was a finer grit than white. I have not had a lot of success with white. Keep in mind though I am not a professional knife maker. I have been making them for 25 years but I am still an amateur.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Skilled

Jerry,

Do you have any online or print references from the woodworking people?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Gabe, if it's online I don't know about it. All of my communications have been by email, and I have some sense that's intentional maybe. I got in the loop because of my work with 3V; Crucible sometimes send folks to me to talk about it. From there we just continued to talk edges and the notion of the convex edge triggered some thinking about what has worked, without there having been a prior understanding of why.

I should qualify my earlier use of the term "we". My role has been strictly limited to that of an outside source of anecdotal and sometimes useful information.

It's my understanding that as a result of this work, 3V will appear in some high end woodworking tools in the not too distant future, and the concept of convex edges is now being investigated under controlled conditions. If you have an interest in it, I'll try to keep you informed of what I know.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 10-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Skilled

I'd appreciate it.

Do you know if anyone has ever connected with the people at Specialty Blades, Inc.?

About SBI - on the Specialty Blades website

Old 10-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Gabe, I don't know. From what I read there they could use some thoughts on steels. Or maybe they just need to update their website. The only CPM mentioned is CPM440V (S60V) which is certainly the weakest of all the CPM's.

I wouldn't mind their making some S30V razor blades though!

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast

Jerry, you talk about using a loose cotton wheel, with white buff compound. I was wondering how that compares to using the felt wheels I have been so fond of. I know they are aggresive but is that only because of the green compound I use? If I was to use white would I be able to control the way it works that you talk about?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 PM

Thumbs up

Jerry I am interested in Vishnu's question too. I use compressed paper wheels for sharpening.
Thank you very much Mr. Hossom I have learned tons of valuable things from your post. You DA Man.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Skilled

redhawk - I stated out with paper wheels and loved 'em. However, I found the edges didn't last at all. I'm currently of the opinion that with the hard wheels you create a 'hollow' grind on the edge. Actually the opposite of the convex edge Jerry is talking about.

Currently I'm sharpening with a mousepad platen (kinda like the rotary platen in effect). I'm raising a burr with each belt from 220 to 5x. Then I use a leather belt to remove the last of the burr. I have to say they come out crazy sharp. However, I don't think I'm getting the same exact edge shape as Jerry. That's something I'm gonna have to try out.

FWIW, For almost all my sharpening, I set the platen at 15 degrees off level, with my mouse pad on top, run the belt backwards, and hold the knife level. This gives me a 15 degree edge plus whatever convex effect I get from the soft platen. The leather belt runs at the same angle, but curls a bit mofe over the edge because of it's softness. Would be nice to see it under a 3D microscope or something.

Steve

Old 11-30-2004, 01:52 PM

Thanks SteveS. I have always loved knives and the past few monhs I have decided to make my own. I am buying blades and putting handles and guards on them while I study the post of the masters such as yourself and Jerry H. Your knives are awesome. I hope to be able to do something like that someday.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Skilled

Redhawk,

You do me WAY too much honor to mention my blades and Jerry's in the same paragraph. I'm just a hobby kinda guy. Serious in my application, but not the experience and knowledge of a real Pro, like Jerry.

After 2 and a half years, I'm just getting to the point where I know I don't know squat.

Thanks for the complement, tho!

Steve

PS, buy your blade blanks from a maker after your first few commerical blades. Loads of difference and a more usable product.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:38 PM

Your knives look great to me Steve. I don't really know who is who in knifemaking yet.
Where can I buy blade blanks?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Skilled

Redhawk, This would be a good point to open a new topic in the newbies area. Don't want to hyjack this thread, you know.

Steve

Old 11-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Ooops sorry forgot myself. I will post there.

Tags
blade, knife, knives