MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Kydex press

This question should probably go in the sheath making forum, but I thought I'd get more input over here. . .

Anyway, I am finishing up a tactical style knife for my brother in law who is about to deploy to the sandbox. I'm getting ready to fit a Kydex sheath, using 0.093" stock.

So, I am looking for advice from any of you that have built your own Kydex press. I've seen some of the tutorials out there, including Chiro75's. My plan is to use a woodworking vice I have, and mount 2 plywood plates to it. The plywood is 5/8" thick, and to that I will add some closed-cell foam (el cheapo camping pad from Wal-Mart) that is about 5/8-3/4" thick.

One question I have is, how many layers of the closed-cell foam should I use on each side? 1 or 2? The knife I've made is about 7.5 inches, with about a 3.5 inch blade and handle that is 3/4 inch at it's widest, and that part would actually sit up above the top of the sheath.

Eventually I'd also like to form some holsters and magazine carriers, and I'm guessing I would need the extra padding for the wider objects, like a semi-auto handgun.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I bought about a square foot of 1" thick closed cell foam from Sheffield's Knife Supply. Cut it into two 6 x 12" pieces and glued each piece to a stiff board. I haven't felt the need for an official press yet. Instead I lay one piece on the floor, put the other piece next to it with the kydex halves on each section. Heat them both with a paint peeling heat gun, lay the knife on one and put the other on top, align them carefully, there's plenty of time. Then, I stand on it for about a minute. That's all it takes. The pieces are still hot after a minute but they have stiffened considerably. Take it out and let it cool.

The kydex pieces I use are not precisely cut to the size of the desired sheath, they are rectangles that are more than large enough. That way, if the positioning isn't perfect it usually won't matter. Most of the time, the heat has made the two halves stick together. If you are careful you can drill two holes in the sheath without having the pieces separate. Put in two fasteners to hold the relative positions of the kydex pieces, remove the knife and finish the sheath. After I've secured everything I just cut and grind off any extra material.

It's fast, easy and it works pretty darned well. You can get fancier with the whole process, and there's nothing wrong with that, but try it this way and get a few under your belt so that you have a better idea of what you like and what you might need. For me, this has been all I needed for the last 10 years........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Ray,

Thanks for your comments, it's been a big help. How well does your process work with a folded-over kydex piece, taco style? Or is working with 2 pieces simpler to handle? Do you use any kind of release agent between the foam and Kydex?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
Ray,

Thanks for your comments, it's been a big help. How well does your process work with a folded-over kydex piece, taco style? Or is working with 2 pieces simpler to handle? Do you use any kind of release agent between the foam and Kydex?
Believe it or not I have just used the foam and put pressure on it with my hands for a couple of minutes for some smaller sheaths I've made in the past. These were folded over type like you are asking about for 3 finger knives. Hope this helps!

D.B.A Craig's Outdoor Sports
Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM

I make lots of taco sheaths, same process, no problem. No release agent is needed. Like I said, you could get fancier with the whole thing but the drop dead simple method seems to do about all thats needed. Like Craig, I also sometimes form small pieces like the mouth of the sheath in my bare hands.

You've got nothing to lose by trying these methods since the kydex can be heated and shaped as many times as necessary. Just be careful not to overheat the kydex. About 400 F is maximum and it doesn't have to be as soft as wet noodle to be shaped. Experiment a little, it won't take you long to get the hang of it ...

Old 02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks again Ray, and Craig.

I'll give it a try this weekend. Just found out last night that this could be my brother-in-law's last weekend stateside, so I'll let you know how it comes out.

Nathan
Old 02-29-2008, 02:15 PM

I got away from Kydex after a few not-so-actractive efforts.

If I make more--I will because I have more Kydex--I'll probably go with the welted style that takes less hot-forming effort (nod to Jay Fisher's work) He uses aluminum for a 'frame' or welt. I might just use Kydex here as well.

I'm hoping for a thinner, more tailored look.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM

No doubt about it, most kydex sheaths just are not all that attractive. Still, not everything has to be beautiful and the material is better suited to some types of knives than leather. I don't make many kydex sheaths either but I expect I'll always make some because the need for the utility of it sometimes out weighs the plainness of it's appearance ...

Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Skilled

Well the dumpster fairies were good to me last week, I went out to throw out a handful of worn out belts and found a nearly new toaster oven in there. Plugged it in and son of a gun it worked just fine.

This is going to make kydex sheath making a lot easier than using a torch to heat the material.

George

Old 02-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers
No doubt about it, most kydex sheaths just are not all that attractive. Still, not everything has to be beautiful and the material is better suited to some types of knives than leather. I don't make many kydex sheaths either but I expect I'll always make some because the need for the utility of it sometimes out weighs the plainness of it's appearance ...
This knife and sheath will be going where attractiveness won't mean much, so as long as it looks like a sheath that belongs with the knife I've made, I'll be happy.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
This knife and sheath will be going where attractiveness won't mean much, so as long as it looks like a sheath that belongs with the knife I've made, I'll be happy.
Placement of the grommets will be far more important than overall looks in terms of how tight you want the sheath to be. Experiment with it and don't be surprised if you have to make a second one. I've made many where my first was either sloppy in terms of retention or to the point where you couldn't draw the knife. Both bad.

Good news is, Kydex is relatively cheap.

Good luck and God bless your brother in law in his service.

Chris
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Living Legend

I have not worked with Kydex but wonder if a press I have would work. I have a pneumatic press that heats up. You put your stuff in it and press two buttons to make it squeeze. While squeezing the plates get hot.

Not sure if it could be used for Kydex or not but am planning on selling it (I have five different style pneumatic presses I am going to use for something) and wonder if I should think twice.

Could the heated plates help? I know the press itself would be great for the squeeze.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Hall of Famer

I don't think it would take a lot of pressure to form the Kydex to the shape of the knife or whatever object you are trying to fit. A 200 pound person standing on a 6x12 plate works out to between 2 and 3 pounds per square inch, I think. (Not guessing at your weight Ray, just throwing out an example ).

The plates would have to get warm enough to soften the plastic. But they would also have to have some give to allow the material to wrap around the knife. If the heating plates are hard, I don't know how that would work.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Bob,

Nathan is right, I think. That press sounds like it would be just the ticket if the plates can conform to the knife shapes. If not, then the other option would be to line the press with closed cell foam but I doubt that would work well. The foam is such a good insulator that the heat from the plates might not reach the kydex in a reasonable amount of time. The heat soak necessary might also mean that the press would be very slow to cool which would slow the whole process down.

The kydex will be wet noodle soft at 400 F but doesn't have to be that warm to be molded. As Nathan surmised, the pressure doesn't have to be all that much either as I weigh about 185 ....

Old 04-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

I use a two ton arbor press that I got when my last company got bought out. I have two 3/4" pieces of ply wood with the foam glued to it. When I compress the Kydex around the knife, I jamb a piece of coat hanger wire (its soft and cheap) in the rack to hold it down.

At first I was hesitant about trying Kydex, but I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Ed at a knife show. He gave me some tips and encouagement that got me going. I usually make the taco style sheaths and lace them with paracord. If you play with it you can make some decent looking sheaths.

You may want to put it together with screw posts so that the sheath can be taken apart and cleaned if necessary.

Ric Lee

eye-bulging,
nonsense-gibbering time as we
may be classified unable to
operate heavy machinery."
Joan Frank, 1991

Tags
blade, knife, knives