MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Registered

Knife scale specs

Hello everyone,
I am new here, and have never made a knife before, but have turned a LOT of pens, and made a LOT of blanks, specifically for turning projects. I have a vacuum stabilizing set up and a pressure pot for casting, and have done some really interesting things with all kinds of materials. Although I haven't ventured into the knife making world (which I plan to do and am excited to learn), I would like to start casting some materials for knife making, and wanted to get some opinions from knife makers before I start. At this point I'm more interested in making the materials for the knife, than the knife itself.

1. After casting the appropriate size block, I cut it on the bandsaw into a bookmatched set approx. 3/8" thick by 5" each. Now, If I were to give, or sell these for the purpose of knife making, can they be rough cut? or should they be sanded on all sides? Can they be sealed or left natural?

2. For a lot of my pen blank casting, I do not stabilize pieces of burl, unless i feel it significantly reduces the chance of blowing it up on the lathe. For knife makers, do you always prefer all burl or punky woods to be stabilized?

I hope this is the right place for this post, and I would greatly appreciate any feedback!!

Thanks!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Skilled

Ask a 100 knifemakers and you'll probably get 98 different answers. Personally, I prefer buying blocks 1 1/2x 2 x 5 or so. For slabs I prefer them to be thicker than 1/4". I will not use punky woods in any fashion, these are a problem from the start.

Personally, I hate dyed woods and would rather have natural colors but that's my taste.

Do you also do resin filling?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for the response, and yes, the majority of my casting is done with Alumilite resin and worthless burl wood and other things
Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Soft, burl, or punky woods need to be stabilized. If you want to sell wood you need to sand down at least one side and polish it a little so the buyer can see what it will look like when they finish it....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
art, blanks, block, burl, casting, knife, knife making, made, makers, making, materials, polish, post, problem, resin, sand, scale, sell, stabilizing, wood, woods