MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Registered

Question grandfather's kukri knife

Hello, I am completely new to this forum and have a couple of questions about a knife I found with my grandfather's stuff while going through my garage. It's not in great condition so the first thing I would like to ask is if anyone has tips on how to restore/repair it. the second is whether or not anyone knows whether or not it might actually be from 1917 as the engraving states

here are some pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/dw9b6

the third picture is after I cleaned it off a bit using steal wool and sand paper
Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Guru

Yes it's from 1917.

Made for the British Gurkhas if I not mistaken and probably used during both world wars. Contact Atlanta Cutlery as they sell real Kukris, some which date back to the late 1800s. Is the blade about 1/4" to 3/8" thick? They varied as these are hand forged blades. I am not an expert on what those letters and numbers mean, but the workmanship looks authentic. I don't think it would be a fake as there are many very old Kukris for sale. They are typically not very expensive. As nice as this one looks it may have been an officer's.
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/

Last edited by jimmontg; 07-20-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 AM
Guru

personally I would clean off the rust with a very light sand paper (don't go to crazy if there is still a couple little patches so what) I would then coat it in a rust prevent like mineral oil or baracaid or Ren wax....And then I would leave it as is and put it on the wall. You can get a nice new shiny blade anywhere...The wear on that knife shows its history and character...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
personally I would clean off the rust with a very light sand paper (don't go to crazy if there is still a couple little patches so what) I would then coat it in a rust prevent like mineral oil or baracaid or Ren wax....And then I would leave it as is and put it on the wall. You can get a nice new shiny blade anywhere...The wear on that knife shows its history and character...
This!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM
Guru

Yep Some of my favorite knives are ones that I do not use they were handed down to me. I keep them as close to what they were given to me unless there was a lot of rust that I took off. My favorite is a us modle 18...something sword I forget but I didn't touch that it is exctly as my father gave to me and it is worth a decent amount but I will never get rid of It it hangs on the shelf in my room looking..well like it should
Old 07-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Guru

Unless this particular knife is a collectors item and I would bloody well find out if it were I would use it if you have a use for it. These Kukris are awesome choppers if need be and fearsome fighters in the hands of a Gurkha soldier. Yet as I said you can buy very old ones from Atlanta Cutlery, they were Nepalese Army surplus. This knife however looks to have been made for British forces and so if you find out its history and what those symbols mean we would all appreciate if you would enlighten us Mr. Graham.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

OK, you made me curious so I contacted a friend of mine who happens to own one of the largest Kukri houses in Nepal. I sent him your picture and this is what he said:

Dear Ray,

Greetings my friend/guru. Its very good to hear from you. I do hope all is well with you. Thank you for sending this query to me. I am very glad to share my opinion.

Sadly the khukuri in question is a fake one. A copy for the famous MK3 and MK4 (Military khukuri). I have seen such kukris on many occasions and are a good copy of the original ones. Made somewhere in India, probably in Dehradun or Eastern Pakistan, the maker tries to copy the original ones but fails to give the exact parameters and raw materials compared to the real ones. But this particular one is definitely well made than so many others I have seen and held. I also wanted to make sure before I wrote to you so asked my v good friend who is an expert on this field and who is also writing a special book on khukuri and he also gave me the same answer. He sent me this which I am attaching here w this email. Hope I am helpful here.

The picture below is what his friend sent to him. This doesn't mean your grandad's knife isn't old, they've been making these for a long time, but apparently it isn't actual military issue and not particularly valuable ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 12-24-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 AM
Guru

I am very sorry to hear that Ray.

I was sure it was an original as there are many old Kukris around. Hard to believe someone would bother to fake one as they don't cost much anyway. Well Mr. Graham see how well it holds an edge, if it does then use it, otherwise it's a wall hanger. Sorry for my original assessment.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:51 AM
Guru

Either way my opinion is still the same some of the knives that I have that were passed down like the modle 18...something sword and a old finish pukko yes they are worth a few bucks. But the other ones that were given to me are not worth $2 but they have "age" marks and I left them that way and keep them on a shelf. To me they are not valuble because of the cash value they are valuble because they were passed down to me one that actually looks like a prision shank was my great great grand fathers (who I obviously never met) and it made its way to me...it still has some of its rust and I like it that way
Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: Hard to believe someone would bother to fake one

When you consider that it is someone in Pakistan or India where a few dollars is a monthly wage its easier to understand ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
back, blade, blades, cutlery, engraving, forge, forged, ghurka, hand, handle, handle material, how to, knife, knives, kukri, made, material, ore, repair, restore, sand, sell, sword, tips, wax