MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM

How much for a Grizzly G1015?

I want to start making some knives. I know a older guy I used to work with who can't make knives any more due to his health. He has a Grizzly G1015. What are your thoughts on the grinder and what should I pay for it?

TIA
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

This is more complicated than you might think.

First, there are much better grinders and it won't take long for someone to drop in here and point that out. The Grizzly turns a bit too fast and it's not set up to do work on knives as well as other machines.

On the other hand, the G1015 is one big, tough machine! I have one and I know others that do. They are workhorses. Of course, I only paid about 1/3 of what they are selling for now. (Remind me to send another 'thank you' note to Washington for contributing to inflation.) Even if you buy a really good quality custom grinder in the future, you will likely keep the Grizz around. It's that tough.

The value of any item is exactly what someone is willing to pay. Chances are the owner didn't pay all that much to begin with. If you could get him to $200, that would be an awesome buy. (Ask him for a price first - there's always a chance he'll do it for less.) It would be especially sweet if he throws in the belts and such.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 AM

Yes I have been watching tons of videos on youtube and such and saw the other great grinders, I do own a Delta 1"x 42" for my woodworking hobby, but thought the Grizzly would be a big step up. If I stay with it then one of the better grinders would be next (years later).
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

When mine arrived at the house, I wasn't home and my wife signed for it. I never would have because the shipping box - a pretty heavy box - was destroyed by the trucking outfit. I was just sick looking at it because I figured it was ruined and, since she signed for it, I'd never get reimbursed.

To my surprise, the grinder was 100% fine. It's a tank. No lie. I think they could have run over it with that truck and it would have been ok. Been using it for some years now without a hiccup.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
When mine was delivered they forgot to include to motor....I called and they said they forgot to send it....Very funny...........they sent it right out..............carl

Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Steel Addict

It is a decent entry level grinder and better than the Delta 1x42". As far as what you should pay for it well that really depends on the condition of it. I picked up a decent one a couple months ago for $250. Like has been mentioned there are way better grinders out there for making knives but if you have not yet fully committed to making knives the Grizzly would get you started.

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!

Tags
art, awesome, bee, custom, g10, hand, hobby, home, knives, make, making