MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Frank if you knew the listing was wrong why did you let it run it's course? Why didn't you cancel it immediately. Seems to me like somebody got a real bad deal.
Ronnie
I think that listing was up for a full 45 seconds. It was a "Buy It Now" and someone IMMEDIATELY hit the Buy It Now .

Who wouldn't !!
Old 10-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
I guess I'm confused. If he knew he had made a mistake why let the thing run at all....even for 45 seconds.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:07 AM

Ronnie,

Just my opinion, but I think the seller had no clue as to what his knife was worth until he saw my original post.

PS: Sorry, seller. I can't help what I think.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
I just feel awful for the fellow that jumped on the BIN and then got.....well didn't get the knife.
Ronnie
Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I just feel awful for the fellow that jumped on the BIN and then got.....well didn't get the knife.
Ronnie
If that is the case , one can not "fairly and realistically" expect for a seller to go through with a situation like that . NOT gonna happen.

$525 for a $4000 knife ? NO SELLER would go through with a sale like that.

Isn't the knife suppose to get re-listed ? I have not seen it yet .

Frank ?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Skilled

Due respect to Ronnie...I see his point and understand... but I tend to see Will's point better.

Suppose a little ole lady widow put her WWII husbands knife for sale not knowing the value but needing the money, and a sharp dealer jumped it and made $3,000 off of her lack of knowledge. The dealer would think it a fair business deal. and laugh and tell stories about how he made money off a little ole lady widow. A collector might think it was a case of taking advantage because his primary interest is in the knife not the business deal profit.

If that split sentiment applies to a little ole lady widow, it is applicable in other cases. So I tend to agree that it was not reasonable to expect that guy to go through with that sale that would deprive himself of $3000, even if it gets him kicked off E-bay, which it might.

The bidder almost got a windfall.. but if he really wants the knife rather than the deal, he will have an opportunity to pay a fair price for it. If the differential had been just 50 percent, or something, based on two diverging opinions one of which was better, that is another thing. That is something between two consenting adults, not statutory rape. Just my two bits.... Regards.

PS: the mix of business and collecting is a volatile one as I learned collecting rugs. Dealers are in it as a business, which is a different thing from why a collector collects. Many "dealers" eventually put their business interests ahead of their collecting interest to the point they cease to be reliable source of information, and instead just "sell." And collectors who transition to business side sometimes don't even recognize when dealing becomes more important than the rug esthetics. Knives are no different, hence chat lines designed to promote buying this-or-that from that-or-this dealer. I like this board because it seems more "collector" oriented.

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-21-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Steel Addict

I understand that point but there are people that would go ahead with that deal. I am one. In fact I had it happen to me. I screwed up big time on an item of Militaria. When I realized my mistake I told the guy I had mis quoted the price. He said so you're changing the price on me. With that I said no take it. I lost 400 bucks on the deal. But you know what....I could sleep with that mistake. I felt good that I went thru with the deal. I'm much more careful now when I price my items.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I understand that point but there are people that would go ahead with that deal. I am one. In fact I had it happen to me. I screwed up big time on an item of Militaria. When I realized my mistake I told the guy I had mis quoted the price. He said so you're changing the price on me. With that I said no take it. I lost 400 bucks on the deal. But you know what....I could sleep with that mistake. I felt good that I went thru with the deal. I'm much more careful now when I price my items.
With all due respect ... you would be one of a very,very few that would not go back on a clear BIG ( $ ) mistake/error .

In your case $400 below market, in this threads subject matter $3000 . BIG difference.

Sellers and buyers( collectors dealers ) will always look out for themselves as they should.

There are a group of dealers and collectors that ALWAYS ebay message sellers with price offers to end auction early with an offer of a Buy It Now or to sell off ebay directly ( against ebay rules ) and save the fees .

The intention is obvious .... to get a good or awesome deal. I personally HAVE NEVER LIKED THAT practice. I see it as not fair to other bidders who have been placing bids and are not sneaky enough to possibly take advantage of an "uninformed seller" . I see it as a bit unethical ( my opinion ) .

Ebay WILL NOT kick him off. I have bought and paid many things on ebay over the years and sometimes for different reasons the sale can not go through. As long as the buyer gets a refund and the reason is acceptable it is OK . Depending on the reason ebay might give the seller a warning . Will not kick him off , i will bet you $ on it.

I have seen plenty cases of uninformed sellers listing a collectible with a BUY IT NOW for wayyyy too low. Depending on how big ( $ ) of a mistake , they will sometimes not go through with the sale once they realize the mistake.
The reasoning they could give ebay is an error in auction description . Which would be true and valid reason.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Skilled

I have to agree with Ronnie on this one, not ethically, but legally. If somebody takes the time to read EBay's policies and procedures, the listing AND the sale are both binding contracts which can be legally uphead within the laws of our land.

Last edited by Ta2bill; 10-21-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Ronnie, wait...I am Ronnie and as far as I'm concerned there is no difference between 400 bucks and 3000 bucks. You are only as good as your word. My word means everything to me.
Ronnie
Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william768 View Post
There are a group of dealers and collectors that ALWAYS ebay message sellers with price offers to end auction early with an offer of a Buy It Now or to sell off ebay directly ( against ebay rules ) and save the fees .

The intention is obvious .... to get a good or awesome deal. I personally HAVE NEVER LIKED THAT practice. I see it as not fair to other bidders who have been placing bids and are not sneaky enough to possibly take advantage of an "uninformed seller" . I see it as a bit unethical ( my opinion ) .
Will: I couldn't agree more! Also, more than once I have had a seller inform me that he had multiple offers to sell the knife above the ebay listing price in cases where I hit a good deal buy-it-now. In several cases the seller has given me the offenders name. I never went public with the name, but I know who to stay away from.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Steel Addict

One thing everyone seems to be missing in this. The seller is not the owner. He was supposed to list it with a buy it now of $5250. I'm guessing when he told the owner it sold for $525 is when he found out the mistake. If that is the case I can't blame the owner for refusing to go through with the sale.

Steve
Old 10-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Steel Addict

Well I have to agree with that Steve. That changes things to me. The owner gave the seller the price and the seller screwed up I can see where the owner would say....no deal.

Tags
arrow, awesome, brass, buy, chain, cheap, collector, etched, fighting, handle, hunting, hunting knife, ivory, knife, made, military, post, randall, sheath, show, stiletto, stone, vintage, web, white