MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Master

Push knife, take two

Well, after the first one got lost in some unfortunate mess, I was asked if I would make a replacement. Lots of changes into this one due to the use the first one saw.

O1 steel, differential HT with DuraCoat finish. Wood is, uhhhhh some kind of stabilized wood (technical term). Pretty sure I got it from Dave Peterson here. Micarta pins, Kydex sheath with Teck-Loc.

Dubbed the "Daigle ST" after many conversations with the new owner.

Thanks for looking,
Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Guru

Hey Chris, that's definitly got the tactical look!! Is that hook on top a rope cutter? All in all I like it...Bud

Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Guru

Cool! I like the contrast on the handle and blade.

Is Duracote a bake-on finish?
I thought about getting some manganese phosphate supplies from Brownell's and setting up a parkerizing rig next month. Seems a bit easier than the bluing. I'll be sure not to use the steel melting furnace for my heat source this time!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

ST=Sharks Tooth

Great looking knife! Chris fails to mention that the small cutting 'hook' is for removing plastic cuffs from suspected bad guys (and avoid the chance of hurting the innocent.)

The first version got a heavy dose of actual field work. The intermediate version was torture tested to death by Chris to check the quality of the design and heat treat.

There are tough knives and pretty knives. This one is a big dose of both!!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Don, I have parkerizing chemicals. I had intended on using them on an old rifle I restored, but had to back off because of some weirdness with the design. I was going to use Durocoat over it anyway, so I just did the coating. Pretty cool stuff!

Anyway, you're welcome to give the Parkerizing stuff a try - as long as you promise not to fire up anything too large!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Master

Thanks guys. And thanks Rick for explaining the gut-hook design. I guess I failed to mention that the tip isn't sharpened and is meant for penetrating and some prying as opposed to cutting.

Don, you can bake the finish on, but it's not necessary. It just speeds up the process. More important is that the surface is prepped well. I blasted the surface before painting and then just used an airbrush to apply the paint. Ton of colors to choose from as well! Call me up when you put that parkerizing rig together. I'd like to see that.

Chris
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

Chris,
Thinking IS Bad...

Hey you got any pictures of this one in use?

Jim
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM

Chris,

First, I really like that design! The knife is totally cool!

Second, (and please don't be ofended by this--it's just funny as hell) I was looking at your pics, specifically the one of the knife in the sheath, when my wife walked up behind me. It took her about one second to say, "That looks like a _____." I'll let you go back to the picture to fill in the blank.

It's amazing what women see! The tears are just drying up. I haven't laughed that hard in a week!

Regardless, that's a slick knife brother!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Push Knife

Nice looking package. Love that kydex sheath!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Master

Andy! Tell her she owes me a new keyboard because I just spit coffee all over it! Too funny!! No man, not offended at all. I'm surprised I never saw that till now.

Well, good responses from overseas. The point isn't seeing any damage, and the gut hook is working well. The DuraCoat is holding it's own although obviously wearing in some places.

Jim, funny you should ask. I received this the other day. That's a generator that won't see any more use. Reports are that it was also used to pry a door hinge off (no pics of that one though).

Notice the sticker on top. "Tested OK"

Chris
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Guru

Hah! Every time I look at the sheath now, all I see is a ______ . Just call it a Corinthian pushdagger. The phallic symbol was one of power!

Next time I head out to scrounge in the scrap yard, I plan on getting a stainless container for the parkerizing tank. They usually have some old cola cylinders and such or ductwork I can weld endcaps on.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Chris fails to point out that the knife is puncturing the gasoline tank on a Taliban generator.

After all the angst (and overthinking) that went into making that knife, it d*** well better do the job!

I was impressed to hear that the Durocoat has held up well (considering the abuse as illustrated by the end user).

Not many makers can produce a knife that looks that good and still be tough. (I guess you could say that knife is a real stud!)

Hey Don, still haven't heard if you're interested in those parkerizing chemicals!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Guru

Chris,
What's the thickness on the blade? I couldn't remember what you had said way back and I didn't see it posted anywhere.

Rick,
I'm always up for more chemicals!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Master

Don,

3" wide, 5/32" thick O1 steel. I love working the stuff. And it heat treats like a dream!

You gonna work with those chemicals at the next hammer-in?

Chris
Old 10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Guru

I have a bunch of 3/8" A2 I was going to make some out of. I had planned on just doing a skeleton frame with no scales, though. I figure I'd play around with it until i get a good size/weight and then decide if I want scales or not.

I actually have several sets of instructions for parkerizing. I need some manganese phosphate for a rifle project anyway. This process seems to be much more forgiving than the hot bluing. Although, I still plan on getting a bluing tank going...just not with a steel melting furnace as the heat source! I think it would be a perfect project for a hammer-in! Hard to beat fuming, boiling, splattering, super-heated-caustic soda for entertainment, though!

Tags
blade, knife, knives