MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Enthusiast

I got into knives I guess when I was 5 or 6 years old. I remember sitting on my dad's lap while he read knife magazines. I think it was Blade and Knives Illustrated haha and I still love them. Well my dad and I collected handmade knives for years. I first two knives were Randals and boy do I wish I had them. My dad and I starting putting our shop together a few years back and I was about to leave for Mississippi State. He passed away 3 weeks before I left and ended up not touching the tools for 3 years. kind of because I was living 2 hours away, but mainly because I missed my dad and it was supposed to be something for us both to do. Now that I am done with college and back home i looked at all the stuff we had and decided to put it all to use. Knives have always been a love of mine all because of my Pops.

http://mississippi-hikers-blogspot.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Skilled

My dad made a few knives when I was younger. Never really had an interest in doing it until last year. Made a kit knife to start, and a kit folder, then started filing away! Im pretty figity and my hobbies usually only last a couple months. I dont see me putting this one down any time.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The story of how I got started in knife making is told in an earlier post in this thread. But, like several others here I too first became interested in knives when at 5 years old I watched my dad use a bench grinder to reshape an old file into a blade. Then, he brazed a section of steel pipe to the blade to make a little paring knife for my mom. She used that crude knife in the kitchen for many, many years and now it sits on my work bench where I can see it every day more than half a century after dad made it .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
My first experience with a forge was at Armco Steel....I helped forge some tools for the blast furnace..Been playing with tools and knives since then....That was in 1965...Now i make knives for deer hunters......Love it..............carl

Tags
blade, christmas, fixed blade, folder, forge, forged, forging, handmade knives, hobby, hunting, hunting knife, kit, knife, knife making, knives, liner lock, military, scrimshaw, supply