MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Steel Addict

Made my first ornamental pins

After obsessing over the idea for the better part of a week, I finally got enough of an idea baked to work on it. These are some different tubes I found at Ace Hardware filled with clear epoxy and my own blend of PearlEx colors. I still have a few minor issues left to work out, mostly just bubbles still in the epoxy. This was a pre-made knife blank I had laying around and figured it would make a good test mule. I'm really very happy with the end result and the design of the pins is near and dear to me. I'm pretty sure I'll be asked to make more of these later on so I'll probably get pretty good at it. I have no clue what the wood I used was, it was in a box of random stabilized scales. I used an antique oil finish on it.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 AM
Skilled

What method did you use to fill the pins? If there are bubbles i am willing to guess you used one of the methods where you fill from the top of the tube.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
What method did you use to fill the pins? If there are bubbles i am willing to guess you used one of the methods where you fill from the top of the tube.
Yessir. I didn't have any other ideas, so I poured into the top of the round pins after they were in the knife. I THOUGHT the tubes were full and added the squares which revealed huge air pockets. What followed was 10 minutes fighting with a toothpick and a popsicle stick trying to pack as much as possible in, letting it sit, coming back and adding more. I know there has to be a better way, I'm sure I'll figure out what that is at some point.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Skilled

I didnt like any of the methods i saw on youtube so i came up with a vacuum draw method. it virtually eliminates all instances of bubbles and allows for use of thicker epoxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9S6hiWBOCo
Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Steel Addict

That's pretty brilliant. It looks like $30 setup and not too complicated. That's been added to the list of stuff to add to the workshop.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanBeasley View Post
That's pretty brilliant. It looks like $30 setup and not too complicated. That's been added to the list of stuff to add to the workshop.
Thanks! The most expensive part of the setup is the break bleeder. I got mine from Harbor freight but ive seen them cheaper online.

It works great, out of all the pins i have made i have had one bubble on a finished knife that needed to be dealt with.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Skilled

I use the same setup. I watched all the same videos and liked the vacuum the best.
I have made 5 12" rods and haven't had any issues yet.
I use the West System slow epoxy. It is thin in nature so it comes up the tube really
quick and settles nicely.

Tags
antique, back, bee, design, epoxy, fighting, hardware, knife, knife blank, made, make, pins, scales, toothpick, wood, workshop