MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 02-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Cactusforge

Two Replies out of 35 Views

On 1/27 /02 I posted a question on this fourm and only recived
two replies, I posted here because this is this is the Photography Fourm, is any one paying attention. There was a post on the same subject on Neo Trible Fourm after mine and he got a lot of replies.
I was just looking for help looks like Neo Trible has it Gib
Old 02-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Coop747

..but of them, Richard gave the most valuable info!!! He explained things well.

Gib, sorry this post blew right by me, but I understand your frustration. You asked a BIG open-ended question, and it could take days to get you all the info you would need.

Used? Nothing wrong with that. What is important is a macro lense setting for close-ups and at LEAST a 1.2mp camera. And if your needs are simply knife pics, this might be all you'd ever need. Larger mp shots need to be resized down anyway. (See my post on image sizes for the skinny....)

For the very best deals, eBay has a bunch. You NEED imaging software, and all new camera's wil include this. Otherwise you need to buy that, too.

There are a TON of comparison sites for D. camera's, and you need to do a search to get more info than you need .

My first camera, which I LOVE and works terrific is an EPSON PC-750Z 1(1.2mp) It has all this and more. If you look at my pics on my collection, most of the photo's in the folder section were taken by that. It's up to the job. ALL Epson stuff is good, as is their software supplied. (In fact I still have it and don't use it. The zoom stopped working, but that didn't matter for closeups anyway. Talk to me if you were at all interested.)

Software? There is a bunch, as you know. All suppled software will do the basics: resize, crop, picture quality, color enhancement, brightness, contrast, etc. Then it REALLY takes off from there for special effects, like shadows and text and stuff. Programs well-suited for this are PhotoDeluxe, PaintShopPro, PhotoShop Elements, and others. You tell me how involved you want to get. There have been a bunch of pics that WON the contests with minimal effects and editing. Just good cameramen!

I use a Sony DSC-S70 3.2mp which is much more confusing than my Epson, but it takes very top-quality pics, too. I wouldn't reccomend it for you. Yet.

What more do you need to know. What image 'softwear' do you have other than Paperport Visioneer? Anything? Let us know.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Cactusforge

Thanks Mr Cooper
What I have in addition to the Visioneer is a Smaller Image to
change photo size whitch works good. This camera will be used for knife photos 99% of the time. As to soft wear I just want to get the photos into the computer and be able to prosess them through the soft wear that I have if this is possabile. I'ts getting old using 1/2 of a roll of film and waiting
weeks to be able to post photos. You have given me the specs that I think I need to go shoping. Gib
Old 02-02-2002, 09:22 PM
Coop747

Oh boy, do I know how frustrating that is. Or rather I DON'T! I am soooooo spoiled by taking pics, and withing *minutes* working on them and posting them. I mean minutes!!!! Now THAT is an instant gratification junkie's best deal!!!

I'll talk to you off list. Maybe we BOTH have something each other wants. Hmmmmm (I like knives....!)

Coop
Old 02-03-2002, 03:30 PM
RichardMT

Well, sorry, I tried

Old 02-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Cactusforge

Richard, I know you tried and I thank you, it's just that I know
so little about these digital camras and posting on this fourm I thought there would be far more replys to help me learn more,
I did not intend to infer that you were not helpful I apologize.
Gib
Old 02-04-2002, 12:16 PM
Rocketrider

Gib:

If you need a source for review of digital cameras try this one:
www.dpreview.com/
Unfortunately, they mostly deal with the equipment that is mid to upper end of the digital spectrum. Also, there won't be reviews of old equipment so you won't get much help if you're researching a used piece of equipment that is more than 12-18 months old.

The reviews will have a lot of technical detail in them, but don't let that scare you off -- you don't need to understand everything the man talks about for the material to be helpful.

I would suggest that if you have a good source of magazines near by, such as a Hastings or Barnes & Noble, that you investigate purchase of a digital camera 'Buyers Guide.' I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and I saw it on the rack at Hastings as recently as 3 days ago. Most of the information is very general by nature, but it can be worth it's weight in gold depending on your present level which I assume is beginner (that isn't bad -- everyone starts on that spot!). I don't have mine magazine close at hand, so can't tell you the exact title. Anyway, there were several informative articles that compared the various cameras available (in very basic terms), the software (pretty good article with comparison chart), etc.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Rocketrider

Digital Camera Buyer's Guide

Gib:
The buyers guide that I mentioned in the above post is called: PC PHOTO Digital Camera & Photo Buyer's guide 2002, which I believe is actually the November 2001 Issue of PC PHOTO magazine. My local Hastings must have had some left because they were still on display last week and the cover of the mag says "Display until December 18."

There is so much good information in this mag for a beginner that I would really recommend that you try to find a copy. List price was $6. If you can't find one, the masthead says that back issues are available by mail for $7 from: Back Issue Dept., 12121 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 1200, Los Angeles, CA 90025-1176. If for some reason that doesn't work out for you, I'll send you my copy -- post a request here and give me a day or two to respond.

Robert.

Tags
knife, knives