MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 10-28-2004, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Physh
Finishing+keeping birch bark clean

heres the knife (didnt peen the end yet in the pic) I finished it with several coats of tung oil, and bee's wax. But it seems to pic up dirt. What i have been doing us using a cleaning wax (simmilar to car wax) to remove the bee's wax and clean it. But it loses its nice shine, so I put the bee's wax back on, and repeat.

Well now i've noticed that its not as colorful as it used to be. And it could use a finish that will stay on, and is water/dirt proof and that keeps the look it has now. (considered shellac)

Also how do i keep the brass from tarnishing. I heard that some people soak the entire handle in linseed oil, though it would contaminate a large amout of oil, my tung oil got spoiled somehow, and it dried partially in the tin, so i dont have too much left, if i add some thinner and resand then put the handle in the jar for awhile, would that work as a good finish?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Skilled

first,you should have done a little research on the care and feeding of birchbark when used as a knife handle. it has been used for centuries as a non-slip material on handles. if you wanted something shiney and clean, birchbark was probably your worse choice. a stabilized (plastic) wood handle would have been a better choice. about the only thing you can do now is remove the bees wax with turpentine, allow the handle to dry for at least a week, then recoat with more tung oil. as far as brass tarnishing,after it is polished a light coat of any good paste wax will help to keep it bright.

Tags
knife