MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Steel Addict

ANVILS?? WHO is WHO WHAT is BEST??

Greetings everybody. This is my first thread, and forgive me if this question has been asked a million times, because as long as there are newbies, it will be asked a million times more.
I was gives two anvils, one is a softie (Vulcan), the other is a nice one ( made from a RR Track and machined and hardened pretty well), but too small for anything other than miniatures. Both work pretty OK, and since they were free...............well you know the old saying about beggars, though I did not beg for them, I traded.
Two questions.
1. What are good quality old anvils that are readily available, and what is a good size for blade-smithing. I have been told that you actually do not want to use a huge anvil for forging blades due to it being too much of a "heat-sink"
2. Who is making quality new anvils, for thoes of us who just do not have the resources to travel around and find the oldie, but goodies; and does anybody know much about, or have a NIMBA anvil from Washington? Here is their site it is pretty cool to look at, especially for me since my backgroung is in casting metals.

http://www.anvils.nimbaforge.com/

Thanks a ton, Don Carlos
Old 08-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Steel Addict

Anvils

Two companies in the US are importing cast steel anvils from the Czech Republic. Old World Anvils, in Wisconsin, and EuroAnvils, in Tennessee. Both have website with pricing. I have a 170 Lb. Two Horn Classic from Old World and I am extremely pleased with it. I think it sells for about $350 plus shipping. That price, $2 per lb is about what you would expect to pay for an antique anvil that may be in fair to poor condition. They do have a variety of sizes and shapes to choose from.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Centaur Forge also sells several brands of anvils but their prices are higher. I got my 504 lbs Vaughn Brooks off of eBay. You might want to post this question on Ed Caffrey's forum since those guys are primarily forging. This forum has mostly stock removal guys.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
I got mine from Harbor Freight, they had a "2 for one" deal, so you get 2 lbs for the price of one! We bought 2 55 pound anvils.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Master

Nimba and Peddinghaus are the two top of the line new anvils I know of, very pricy. Some good old brands I've heard of are Trenton, Fisher, Peter Wright, and Mousehole. Depending on how small, the ones you have might be ok. Minimum size is alot smaller then you think, according to common lore Khukris are often forged on sledge hammer heads. I'd say 100# is good for a decient weight that you can be happy with for a while.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanCrabtree
Ive got a Peter Wright 120 lbs... It cost me 0$ it was a family handmedown. It works great. It has a great ring. Ive seen them for sale at hammer ins for about 300$ or so and in my opinon worth every penny.

Knives can only be as sharp as their maker, So keep on hammering.

"All men die, Not all men really live." William Walace
Old 08-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Steel Addict

Smile

Thanks a ton for the feedback I will look in to some of the anvils you all suggested. And for sure I do believe, that a knife is only as sharp as the maker, as is true with all things created by hand!

Sincerely, Don Carlos
Old 08-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Steel Addict

Hmmmm... I might be able to help you with a free block of steel. Thats what I made my anvil out of. It measures about 8" tall by 6" wide and about 2 feet long, made out of HPQ high carbon steel. Dont know how much it weighs but it was REALLY heavy. Had a few of my buds help me get it out of the truck.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife