MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Sanpete County Fair, Manti Utah, Knives

Just FYI: All the knifemakers' from Sanpete County, Utah that we can locate, have gotten together to donate a knife, each, to the great Sanpete County Fair as a fundraiser. One of the best, if not "The Best" county fair in the state! There are 11 of us, all who will make a hunting knife, of various designs and types of their own choosing, for this project. Our local photographer friend, David Peterson, of Peterson Studios, Manti, UT, will photograph them all for the annual Fair Book; so in early July I'll be able to post that photo. They will be auctioned off at the Fair on Saturday, August 18, 2012. Here is a list of the makers involved, all of whom have grown-up, lived, or are presently living in Sanpete County, Utah.

1. John Bair, - Springville, Utah
2. Mitch Jenkins - Manti, Utah
3. Jerry Johnson ? Spring City, Utah
4. Steve Johnson - Manti, Utah
5. Carson Jorgensen - Moroni, Utah
6. Jesse Larsen - Manti, Utah
7. Larry Peterson ? Ephraim, Utah
8. Hank Peterson - Ephraim, Utah
9. John Bailey - Ephraim , Utah
10. Chad Nell - Hawaii (Soon to be in the St. George, UT area)
11. John Young - Ephraim, Utah

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 05-16-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Steel Addict

woohoo go sanpete!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Sanpete is custom knife "Mecca". It will be fun to get all the local makers together.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
I want to thank you folks for including me in this group of knife makers.

I was just thinking about creating the time space for any knife making project. I realize that there is no such thing as an absolute perfect vacume in the universe. In my life is seems like something will fill the time space if I don't have it reserved and protected, even guarded and defended. It is a real balancing challange to be cordial and accomadate folks with their projects, politely visit with folks that would like to spend the day, and perform the religious duties when called upon. In addition, some even have to earn a living in addition to their making knives. Oh yes, I didn't mention "sanity time" (like emergency fishing trips) and family demands.

I personally avoid deadlines and knife orders. I much prefere to make the knives I want to make and sell them if and when someone wants to purchase them. This must sound like I am very arrogent so let me explain. It has been my experience that folks who want me to build their personal design often have notions that violate the "Laws of Symetry and design." One example is exagerated guards and another is where the handle line is way higher than the blade, making the knife look like it was jambed into a block for a handle. I have gotten myself into very deep mire trying to make very special "Karate" type weapons that look like a cross between a "Batliff and a corkscrew." No more! The reality is that I have sold all the knives I have ever made to sell and the real problem is "Production."

Now we are back to time management. I am searching for the perfect way to isolate my knife making time and still live in the real world. I have often fantasized about finding a secrete cave with no telephones. Something like "Captain Midnight" (yes I was in the secrete squadrin and I had my code card) or Bat Man with his secrete entrance. The real trick is to create the vacume without hurting the feelings of those we love or our friends.

While I am wondering, it just occured to me that as we age we have fewer and fewer good houres in the day in which we can safely function. My dear wife has often said to me "keep it 'till tomorow, your too tired tonight and you will likely screw it up." What does she know? I also thought it might cheer someone up to know that time seems to accelerate as we get older. I think the Congress ought tp pass a law that the time spent knife making can not be deducted from a mans lifetime. Also, "all the Indians in South America walk in a straight line, at least the one I saw did."

I wish you well.

Larry Peterson

Last edited by Larry Peterson; 06-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:15 PM

Nailed it!

Larry, you nailed it!
By the time we get done with work, family, feeding and caring for the animals, changing the water pump on the pick-up, service projects, home teaching..... We do tend to stay busy. And I heard that it gets worse after retirement! I guess we don't have time to get into trouble!!
All that said, I will talk to my little bride to see if she wants to leave the Arizona heat for a little while to come up to your fair!
Sounds like a good one.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM

Chad Nell handed me his "County Fair Knife" in Atlanta last week end; a beautiful little Drop Point with SS fittings and sheep horn handles. This is going to be a great collection at the auction.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 PM

Jesse Larsen showed me his knife today, it looks great. Another cool little hunter, pretty stabilized wood. Nice work!

NRA Endowment Member
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM

**All of the knives are "done."
**1. John Bair, - Springville, Utah. John Bair delivered his little "Gent's Belt Knife," reminiscent of the Loveless Stiff Horn, with SS fittings and Desert Ironwood handles, satin finish.
**2. Mitch Jenkins - Manti, Utah. A very nice Loveless-style 4" Semi-sklinner with SS fittings and beautiful stag.
**3. Jerry Johnson ? Spring City, Utah. Jerry's "Howerton Hunter" is a beauty, with 154-CM steel with a very nice sculpted guard and handle of caribou horn
**4. Steve Johnson - Manti, Utah. A "Personal Model, drop point with ss ferrule and Sambar Stag handles, made from CTS BD1 alloy, a 440-C equivalent
**5. Carson Jorgensen - Moroni, Utah. Carson has made a great little drop-clip point point hunter with very nice "Bone Stag" handles, SS bolsters/fittings & a horizontal-carry sheath.
**6. Jesse Larsen - Manti, Utah. A great trailing point hunter, hidden-tang, with beautiful birds eye maple handle, SS fittings
**7. Larry Peterson ? Ephraim, Utah. A cool upswept hunter, SS fittings with crown Mule Deer horn
**8. Hank Peterson - Ephraim, Utah. Another nice upswept hunter, with crown Mule Deer horn, a lot like Larry's, Hank's Dad
**9. John Bailey - Ephraim, Utah. A very nice little hunter with neoprene handles, unique and obviously capable of handling a Muley, or pronghorn, etc.
**10. Chad Nell - Hawaii (Just relocated to the St. George, UT area). A Bark sheep-horn handled little Drop Point with SS fittings
**11. John Young - Ephraim, Utah. John borught over nis beautiful Dropped Hunter with snakewood

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 07-11-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: editing
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 PM

I can't wait to see all the knives. It's going to be a very cool auction. I hope the auctioneer knows what he's doin. John
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM

John Bair travels the country doing auctions. We are very lucky to have him doing ours.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Got all the knives. Peterson Studios of Manti shot a great group picture for the Fair Book and I hope we can now raise a good amount for the Sanpete County Fair. Thanks everyone!

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Skilled

knives

Steve can you post a picture for us. Thanks Robert

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Washburn View Post
Steve can you post a picture for us. Thanks Robert
Sure, Robert, but I'm never successful at posting a photo on this forum, so if anyone would do that for me, I'll send them the photo as soon as I get a digital copy.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 PM

I saw the pic of all the knives on Sanpete county fair's Facebook page. It's an impressive collection. It's gonna be a fun auction.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 AM

Couldn't get a pic, but you can see the photo of all the knives on the County Fair Face Book page, as John has reported, above: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanpet...h/302270025508

According to the Facebook page, they will be accepting phone bids too. Call 435-609-9741 for more information.

FYI: An 8 x 10 print of the cool Fair Knives photo is available from Peterson Studios at 435-835-2844

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 08-01-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Tags
back, bee, blade, block, build, custom, custom knife, design, digital, fishing, guards, handle, home, horn, hunter, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, man, post, project, wood