MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

Steve,

Excellant story !...On the road up to Tonopah, did you & Bob stop in at "Area 51"
& pay the Aliens a visit?...lol. That plane was probaby a UFO !!! Great story tho.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayers3673 View Post
Steve,

Excellant story !...On the road up to Tonopah, did you & Bob stop in at "Area 51"
& pay the Aliens a visit?...lol. That plane was probaby a UFO !!! Great story tho.

I guess we were in the area, but neither one of us mentioned it, or aliens, on the whole trip.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 10-22-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM

I received this from Bob's daughter, Alison this morning and we thought it might be nice to post.

"I have a recording of him on my voice
mail I will never erase, telling me to "call Papa." He always had some
politics he wanted to discuss with me when he was bothered about the
world--and I would always tell him that God had been running the world for a
long time, and not to worry. One of my oldest friends told me that my
father is in Heaven now, making his best knives for God, to arm the Angels
for the final battle between good and evil--perhaps so. Maybe you could
share that with your brother knife makers on the list--it will bring them
some peace, knowing Papa is with God now where he belongs (and my mom is
probably chasing him around with a rolling pin!! Lol)"

NRA Endowment Member
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 AM

This election season would be making Bob pretty upset, I think. He was always troubled by those who were supposed to be doing what was best for the state, country, etc. It really bothered him that elected officials were so crooked at times. Of course some leaders were doing a good job and he'd acknowledge that, but many times the lack of integrity really got to him. He really supported the law enforcement community and not many weeks would go by without a police officer dropping by to say hello. This didn't happen so much in Riverside, while I was there, but from what he said, later, it seemed like it was pretty common within a few years after I left. Bob always had an opinion on most things and they weren't radical or out of line, they were based on his checking out the subject/situation and making an informed decision. The mess we and California are in now would probably be a daily subject of conversation for him. Alison, after reading this says, "Of course, you've softened it up a little
bit! Papa could use some very colorful language to describe the people in politics!" Very true!

NRA Endowment Member
Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Steel Addict

Politicians seem to have that effect on a lot of people.

If you don't mind taking a question Steve, what types of grinders did the Loveless shop use while you were there?

Take care

Charles
Old 10-30-2010, 04:38 PM

One Square Wheel and one Burr King. Both, 2" x 72'. We may have picked up another Square Wheel, once we got to Riverside. We liked them both for certain reasons, I seem to recall, but I can't remember why. The BK was quieter, but the SW was a single speed and it was pretty loud.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 10-31-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Bob Loveless

I have another question> I know you made the move to Riverside with
Bob. How did that go and what was it like there? Also, did you perfer Lawndale
over Riverside?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 AM

No time to elaborate right now, but it was a great place, great people, close to the desert and mtns. and much less traffic, though the smog was, as advertised!" But........ did I mention what a rush it was to get on those Honda 350/Fours and tool around town and down the Magnolia Avenue and out amongst the groves when the orange blossoms were blooming? I could stand living in Riverside for that alone, if it's still possible to do that. Probably not many orange groves left, I'd guess!

FOLLOW-UP:
When we moved to Riverside, a local Dr. who developed an interest in knives and for whom the "Dixon Fighter" was named, owned a small bungalow not far off of the 91, or Riverside Freeway on Tyler St. that Bob thought would have great possibilities as there were outbuildings in the back and parking space and room for both of us in the house. It still looks pretty much the same, I believe, at least it did the last time I was there.

There was the house, with two bedrooms, a bath,kitchen and living room, surrounded by chain-link fence, continuing around the back yard, and then a long shop in back that we were able to modify to fit just the way we wanted ("we," being Bob, as you can probably guess, since he had some definite ideas of what a shop had to be like, I wasn't much into shop layout at the time....) and it turned out very well.

There was room for the office, room to make a dark room for etching and Bob's photography work, (I think we ended up just continuing to do the logo etching out in the work room where the sheaths were made after dark, like we did in Lawndale). In between was the work room where the tooling-type machines were located, mill, lathe, drill presses, along with benches and vises, a table for the sharpening stone, acetylene tanks, etc.

The grinders and band saw were in he grinding room, which was further toward the back, adjacent to the small last room which was for storage.

I lived there with Bob for a while, but eventually moved back toward the fwy., into a mobile home, owned by a wonderful older lady by the name of Anna DeBilt, who was leaving for Bend, Oregon to live with her children and wanting to rent out the trailer. I convinced her, somehow, (Bob vouched for me, I believe) that I wasn't a risk and moved in. I lived there until October 1974. It was great. She had a strawberry patch out back that yielded a cup or two of strawberries every day. HEAVEN! Interestingly, when I left for Utah that October for the deer hunt, I turned up the heat for some reason, just before departing in the hustle and bustle of getting ready to go, walked out and left it on high! A few week's later, while still in Utah, I got a call from the mobile home park manager telling me that I had a very high gas bill (He had used his pass key to go in and adjust the thermostat) and wondering if I knew what was going on and, of course, if I planned to pay the extra amount, which I did.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 11-10-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:35 PM

If anyone has a question about Bob or the shop, or whatever that I may be able to answer, if appropriate, feel free. It was a long time ago and my memory might get jogged by this or that topic.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

Steve,

Do you have any recollections regarding the surrounding time frame when you had to
leave the Loveless shop and move back to Utah? I believe I read somewhere
it was due to a car accident, however I could be wrong about that.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM

That accident was in October of 1974. After the 3 week hospital stay, I was flown by air ambulance back home and just stayed in Utah and got back in school, which I'd been wanting to do for the previous year, or so. By the time I graduated, we had about a year's worth of orders, so decided to try going on our own and we're still here.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 11-22-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Steel Addict

Steve,

How many knives left the Loveless Shop with the Loveless/Johnson logo?

I read somewhere that there was a difference of opinion on the number of knives with this mark.

Thanks

Charles
Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM

What did you hear? I really can't remember at the moment. Seems like we were doing that for a somewhat less than a year, but I can't really recall, for sure.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 12-15-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

94 Loveless-Johnson Knives
Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Steel Addict

Steve,

I finally found where I had read this.

From the "Living On The Edge" book.

Al Williams wrote

"The exact number of Loveless-Johnson knives made may never be known, Loveless estimates fewer than forty; while Johnson feels the number was closer to one hundred."

Jim, If you don't mind me asking; where did you hear the 94.

Charles

Tags
blade, bowie, brand, brass, christmas, custom, fixed blade, folder, forge, guard, guards, heat treat, hidden, hunting, ivory, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, military, post, sharpening, supply, tang