MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2002, 12:20 PM
MJHKNIVES

Re: TIPS

Mike, sorry, I dont have a digital camera. I will try to get one with a conventional 35mm and scan one to email for you, it just might take a couple of weeks.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Gary Mulkey

If your drill press is like mine the chuck will not go to zero so small bits are out. I have had good luck in chucking the small bits in a pin vice and chucking the pin vice in the jacob's chuck of the drill press.

Gary
Old 01-25-2002, 07:38 AM
RJ Martin

Shop Tips

Here are a few:
-Use carpet tape for holding non-magnetic items to the surface grinder. Works great.
-Goo-Gone removes ANYTHING, including carpet tape adhesive!
-Clean your etching stencils by spraying both sides with Fantastic cleaner (yellow bottle). Blot dry with a paper towel. Gets out ALL the grey residue and doesn't affect the etching solution.
-set up the drill press with a foot switch so you can have both hands free. Improves safety, too.
-A DAREX drill sharpener will do carbide bits ($$$) and will pay for itself in short order.
-Tape small, rare earth magnets to your scribers, pencils, markers, X-acto knife, etc. and just slap them on your toolbox or metal workbench. They will be right there when you need them next time. Magnets are also great for holding frequently used drill bits to the drill press.
-Zap-A Gap Green bottle (and Kicker) provide instant fixturing of handle scales, etc for drilling. Just put a drop in each hole or along the edge and spray with kicker. Rap on the bench to release.

OK-gotta go make some knives!

RJ Martin

Old 01-25-2002, 07:52 AM
Bob Warner

Re: Shop Tips

Is this EZboard weird or what? How does stuff get rearranged? I posted the first message on the fourth page of this thread. A few days later after several additional posts by others, I came back to page four and my post was gone. I thought it was deleted. Then I looked and it is now about six posts back in page three. Did some of the tips go away or did EZboard somehow extend the number of posts per page? I hope the tips did not go away.

If your tips are missing, please repost them.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:22 AM
JerryO13

Bob, I forget where, but e-z board lets you tell it how many post you want per page. If you erase your cookies you lose that info. I have mine set to 30 posts equals one page.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:55 PM
srjknives

Thanks, Jerry.

Maybe someone out there can help. Seems to be working here ok. That would be frustrating.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Bob Warner

EZboard is driving me Nutz. SORRY STEVE, thanks for editing.

Oh well, can't complain too much, at least I did not have to pay to get on it.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:53 PM
Bob Warner

Over the years I have been collecting conversion charts. I needed to know that this tap goes with that drill bit and there is also a screw associated but could never remember them all. Therefore conversion charts came in really handy. Every time I saw one I would pick it up and add it to a stack I already had. I had them for converting acres to feet and the like. Well, they have all been compiled into one huge chart (just call me stumpy fingers). I have been typing all day and double checking everything and think I finally got it right. If you see a mistake or have something to add, please e-mail me at <a href="mailto:bob@warnerknives.co...knives.com</a> and I will add it or correct it.

This chart is 56 pages long if you print it out so be wary of just hitting print and walking away. for those with slow modems, I'm sorry but I can't make it load any faster. It takes me about 1 minute to load at 10.2K/sec on an ISDN line. The title comes up quick but you will then have to wait a while for the rest to pop up.

Because of it's size I am not posting it hear but will link to it on my web site. Here it is, hope it is helpful to someone. The ULTIMATE Conversion Chart
Old 02-16-2002, 02:42 AM
Bob Warner

Another tip.

Grinding sheep horn will keep EVERYONE out of the shop and leave you to work in peace.

Really I just wanted to bring this back to the top, hoping others will continue to add to it.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:51 PM
tmickley

Bob, I just looked at your ultimate conversion chart. I can't believe you typed the whole thing....
What was it you were really avoiding doing?
Old 02-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Bob Warner

I'm Lazy. I spent a lifetime typing so I could save a few minutes.

May someone else can save a few minutes from their lives.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:01 AM
srjknives

I got to "G" and decided that there are not that many things in Utah to convert! Maybe in Texas, which is a much larger state....

Wow!

Thanks, Bob, for the Ultimate (really) Conversion Chart.

Wow again!
Old 02-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Sweany

BoB'S KEWL

Old 02-24-2002, 08:52 PM
tmickley

I have two large magnets on the side of my drill press. One *always* has the chuck key stuck to it. This has really saved some cussing. The second magnet has a counter sink reamer stuck on it, something I use often and it doesn't fit anywhere else.
I've also glued a magnet to my depth gauge and keep it stuck to my grinder when I check for even grind lines on both sides.

Old 02-25-2002, 09:33 PM
srjknives

Good ideas, those magnets.

I spray my blades with Dykem and grind to the lines, on double edge knives. on hunters I just eyeball it, generally taking the grind quite close to the top of the blade back.

Tags
art, blade, brand, building, fixed blade, forge, forging, grinding, guard, handle, hidden, knife, knife making, knives, material, noob, pivot, post, sheath, solder, stone, supplies, supply, tang, trap

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 680
2dogslovin, 2LBT, 300fps, 30Cal, 888captain, A.Callahan, AAK, acas, Adam, add147, aggieangler12, aith, ak47knifeworks, Al8236, alphametal, alterfurz, Altofsky, Andrew Garrett, andrewgbell, andrewoval, Andrew_Plummer, AndyS, angeloscotti, anton shostak, anvilstrkr, Any 22, ao1, aquamanlr, ArcticGunsmith, argel55, ariz gamebird, Art Swyhart, ArtB, aslil, atac, ATalley, AwP, Axeman58, Bamaboy, Bano119, barrelrcrdad, BarryC, BattleBorn, bayoubeast, bbeishline, BCROB, BDH1, Beararmsforge, bearghrills, Bearpaw Customs, bem_39503, ben belt, bgmills, bheff, BigCountry86, bigezwalekr, bigezwalker, bigjohn070, Bigjohnknives, Bill Vining, bill-62249, BillyJack92, Biotopp, BItPlz, bjmac, bking, Blackstone, BladePatriot, blindpig, bloomqmx, Blue Sasquatch, Blueheeler, bluesman, boatbuilder, Bob Bair, Bob McRee, Bob Warner, Bobasan, body mass, boodrow, BOP01, boty100, Brad Johnson, Breed, Brett Holmes, Brett Schaller, brezolin, brianhail, Bruno Marr, bspencer, Bud Mattox, Buffarilo, bushbuck, bushworker, Bustacapps, byrdrich, byron pretzel, C Craft, C.M. Arrington, C?sar Pereira, CACowboy, cadman, cajunbowhunter, Cake_14N, Calvin Robinson, Camerer, caribou, Carl Colson, cassio, Cat skinner, cbr900son, cc60, cdel, CE Brooks, cedarfluteman, cedarguitar, Chad M., chaddumbris, chall, Charles Vestal, Cheetah, chiefneckofred, Chiggidy, Chris Pauley, Christopher85, claxton, Cliff Krug, ClifW, clivehamilton77, clw3, Clyde Ulmer, cnccutter, coachk, cocobolo, coldsteelburns, coldtracker, Con, conman, contenderfan, cordless101, couldbe, Cowtown, Crapton042, crotalus, Crotalus69, Cthulhu, Cubane, curt crum, Cut One, cwiehle0, czarjl, D. Buzbee, D. Douglas Suth, dallas1, damon, damonw81, Dan512, danilad, darrell, dashcut, Daslogster, Dave Armour, David66, davidw, dbrunson, dcart, Deanarm, Dennis Paish, Desertblade, dgrayded, DickC, diesel197, Dietz, Dionysus, DJS_Skinner, dk19224, dkaschner, dmoye, doctorducttape, Don Adams, Don Robinson, donnymac250, Donovan5055, Donsylvest, Doug Adams, dpitt417, drhauer, drman63, drrector, dtec1, duck26, Ed of all trade, Ed Tipton, edge2886, Eikeland, ekremer, Eldon Talley, Eli Jensen, elkcub, elktaco, Engineer Mike, Eric A., Eric Branscum, erinroadie, ezed, F. Canabarra, ferris, Fguido5150, FGYT, fhf, Firehouse forge, fiserman, fjkratky, fkrow, flagaman, flintbone, flintlocknfur, flipeastman, flkingery, Ford Fairlane, Frank Castle, fred carter, freddy317, Freshwest, Full_Tang, Fulmaduro, fusionblades, fuzzy, Ga Red, gage karsten, GARob, Gary Mulkey, Gary Roberts, garygillum, GauGe1722, gemeriau, george nobles, germano utsch, Getulio mineiro, gh1, GIKNIFE, glassguy, gll, glyn.c, gmwoodturner, Golfer, grant, Grappo73, graveur, Gray Dog, greenbone65, grosnando, gsain, GTrenwithKnives, gugaga, hadley perdue, HaloMan87, hartswave, Hayden H, hbarncraftworks, hddriver1, Hilton Mendes, HogDad, hollisswitch, houston black, hoyer, HoytCarbmatrix, Hunter10139, Hurley, Huskysibe, I'M DK, ian vinhas, icarryacolt45, Icho, IFLY4U, Inman, IowaHarry, irishknifeworks, irondun, irongates67, Ironwood Nut, Itchibelli, J P, J.Babody, j.g.emmerling, J.W. Gross, Jackbarry3, Jackster, jacob7, James N, Jamey Saunders, jank, Jason Fry, jasonshane, JawJacker, Jay-Z, jayers3673, JayRod, jaysmith10, JB3, jdale, jdevarennes, JDMusic, jdsheriff, Jeffba, jeffbuzzz, jemoran, Jeremy, JeremyRayTurner, JerryG, jes4e, JGardner, JGB206, Jim T, jimbegor, jimroe, jkzook, jmccustomknives, jmoenck, joe sangster, Joe Smith, Johnnyjump, johnsparks, johnwsmith2, Jon Christensen, joneill, joorge, jpilgrim, JSAWorks, jtdesigns, jty322, Juggernaut, jus2311, kalia-007, Karl B. Andersen, Karl S, kcorn, ken dixon, Ken lowry, kenneth M, Kerrie, kestas, Kevster, KKB9750, knifeedgetx, Knifeman01, Knoj, Kostoglotov, kranker1450, kreimans, kwikemart, KYBWHNTR, LABlade, Lamar$$, lamiametalcraft, Larry Peterson, lbarks67, lcaron, lcsbecker, Lee B, Lee Barnhill, Leeco knives, Lilmonsternsa, Lisso, littletree, Loggerhead, LoneGoose, Lourival, LShull, lsknives, lunar4772, lytefoot45, M. Hutchinson, maddox, madmax888, manitou1, Marc, Marc585, Mark Smith, MarkStefan, Marlinspiker, MARVIN, mat.maste, Matt Bufford, matt souza, Matthew Gregory, maxmadco, mbcajun, MBro, mcerizza, MCThrills, mdevers49, merzb, metiezniks, Mglover, Michael Stein, MichaelStgt, Midnight, Mike Grecco, mike miracle, MikeL, MikeT, miketheknife, Mit, mitch p, Mitchell.trahan, mixajura, mjlthuston, MJP, mknife, MoblMec, MontrealSean, Mortenstr, Mr.GOC, mruth, MSmike1, MT Pockets, MTBound, MTDuke, mwhuston, mwilson, Naboyle, Nat Bassett, nate d., NCBoy, Neil Borja, newbie13, Next up, Niklas, NJStricker, NPD, Nprdavid, Oculist, OkieMike, oldfly, oldwolf, orp, Oso25, ostrick, otavio, Pairomedicsfish, PaMtnBkr, PaperPatched, Pappy1111, pappy19, patrick hubbard, paul bold, paulorocha, pcamillo, Pedro Fornari, Pelallito, peterbermingham, petere76, PEU, phil c, pieinthesky, pieter@rhinobag, PietF, piggy, Pilotbe40, pilozard, Pinto, pjelect, Plas62, PoolQs, possumcop, pparris, prisonbreak, pryor, PSarganis, psdavi01, Quadra, Quentis, R. D. Finch, racinca, racjarrett88, Radar, ramona, Randall Kepley, RandyScott, Ranger87, RantNRave, Ray Roberts, Rayant, RCKnifeworks, RClubb, rdelaune, rebender49, rebglass, Recurve, Red Shed Knives, Reddy2ride, RedstickJP, reefera4m, remist17, RHammer, richardwilliams, Richarpo, rick c, Rick Gorman, Rick Weaver, ridgecracker, Ringtail Knives, rlmcbee, rnielsen, Roadhazzard, robbrown, Robe338, Robert Dark, Robert Washburn, Robin Linck, rockhound, Rodrigo Lavieri, Rog, rollingrock123, Ron Aggus, Ron Reeves, ronaggus, rontwa, rscoffey, Ruggero, Run2trouble, Russ Andrews, Rustbucket, ryano, s mcfall, sahunter, salerno, Sallet, Samuel A. Wing, samuraistuart, SandLine, sanguip, sauloliveira, Scania, schmitt, Schuyler, Scorp2305, Scott Hanson, scott.livesey, scox, sdcb27, sdeering, SDhammer, Sean O'Hare, sebastiaan56, secretsquirrel, Sergio Segre, Sgp918, Shakudo, sharab85, SharpEdge0913, SharpTexan, shoprat, SHostetler, Shremick, simrun, skaworm, SKW, slash5john, smithy, SmokeyJay, Spevial111, squigly1965, ss knives, stalbot, Starfire06, Steve M, Steve Schnetter, SteveA1, stevesoftail, sticks, stone600, stoney327, stubby123, superman, sway, synthesist, T. Spencer, T.K.R., Tallpine46, TBridgers, teach, teejay1980, terry stewart, TexasJack, texasrecurve, The Watt Doctor, Thingmaker, throttlejunkey, Tigweldr, Tim Torson, timekeeper, Tmauney2, tmerkl, tmroper, Tom Lewis, tomwatson, tonym, Topcraft, ToppCatt, TopShot1990, torchart, TotallyC, totis, trav, travr, troglodyte, TroyMorris, Tslyter, tsterling, TUpton, turimurgo, tuskbuster, TWITHERS, twojs, txwoodchip, TYG, Ulfberht, Uncle Gramps, uraok, usmc_rocko, VanAnt, velociraptor, Verewolf, victordonald, viking-sword, Vinmuller, virgil4, vjohn, walifs, walkerbait, walnutbear, Warlock80, WBE, wcmesa, wei0401, Weld Inc, Whipster, whirlwind, Wild Bill, will70steed, Willem, William Schrade, willief, willquest, Willy, Win Heger, Win3855, winndhook, wishbone, WNC Goater, Wolfgang Ritter, wolfsniper6mm, wollie, womble, woodchuck, Wrecks, wtama, xiameng_236, xl54ss, Xlrrp, xspook2158, xuxy, Yragael, yuandongdy, Yun Lee, yxrancher, zappo, zeker, Zmanjax, zombielife