MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2002, 10:11 AM
blckbear

Re: tips

Regarding the floor mats. I'm out here in California and we have antique car shows were there are guys selling scrap pieces for $6. Some of these pieces are 4'x6', plenty to cut up into usable sizes.

Let's not mention that these shows also have all kinds of used saws, blades, grinders, compressors, and soda vending machines (that are capable of holding beer cans too).

Mike
Old 01-18-2002, 11:46 AM
JerryO13

Re: tips

Is it Mean Green or Simple Green? I've heard of simple green, works well on organics (blood, grease etc.), is biodegradable, a cup in the wash will clean your work clothes. Don't use on cars as it will strip the wax off, does work great on getting the brake dust off of wheels.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:00 PM
P MOORE

TIPS

I have just been sitting here for an hour reading all the great tips I want to thank all who have shared.
Mean Green I believe you can find at Dollar General or Freds, stores such as these. 36 oz for $2.00 works well for most any cleaning/degreasing.
thanks again Paul
Old 01-18-2002, 03:23 PM
P MOORE

TIPS

I almost forgot I have a tip for you. kevlar gloves! great for buffing and hand sanding MSC pg. 2987 I use these at work and a couple pairs have found there way home with me most are around $5.00 and you will not cut through them. You can grind the tips off though.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Bob Warner

Re: TIPS

A couple of small strong (neodyme) magnets under the heel of your anvil will deaden that high pitched ring when you are forging.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Sweany

Plano containers for small parts, in the fishing dept at Wal mart

Magnets, speaker magnets on the base of the drill press, on the side of the vice, these often catch things dropped from my fumble fingers. I have a hard drive ma screwed to the wall to hold my bench knife one for the peening hammer.

I was told Ivory liquid leaves no oily film and use it and household ammonia for a degreaser. Wd-40cleans well even hands, from grease spray adhesive etc.

I keep a jar of 1 part parrifin or old candles and 1 part crisco for lubing stuff I don't want to be too greasy, hacksaw blades and drill bits.

Hey Bob, in a farm mag I saw a guy had rigged one of your compressor magnets on a broom handle and used it to retrieve stuff.

My best tip ever given to me.

"Listen when somebody is talking"
Old 01-18-2002, 11:46 PM
tmickley

Quote:
Plano containers for small parts, in the fishing dept at Wal mart
Check the fabric department or hardware department before the sporting goods department first. The same or nearly same containers can be found in these departments cheaper since they don't have the sporting tackle box tax built into the price.

Old 01-19-2002, 01:08 AM
srjknives

I like the kevlar glove idea.

Magnets all over the place, makes sense. I have 1 ft. long magnet strip mounted near the top of the peg board that runs down the middle of my bench. I stick my SS rulers there, Verniers, etc. Yes, they need to be demagnetized every 3-6 mo. Easy with the commercial demagnetizers that are available.

Like they say, we were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. I'll always remember the new maker who visited the shop long ago and talked so much I had a hard time getting a word in edge-wise. He surely did know a lot.

Did someone mention putting some dish soap in your cooling buckets to keep the dust from collecting on the top of the water. Helps a lot.

Great ideas, everyone. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Sweany

Forgot about the fish tax, thanks as I am ever frugal. Actually I got the ones I have from a garage sale

The desk blotter and drawer trick are cool too.

"Like they say, we were given two ears and one mouth for a reason. I'll always remember the new maker who visited the shop long ago and talked so much I had a hard time getting a word in edge-wise. He surely did know a lot" :

Old 01-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Bob Warner

When you empty your dip bucket and it has a lot of steel grit in it, don't dump it in the flower bed. It is bad for the plants (how would I know that?).

I can't beleive this thread is going to four pages, but glad it is.

Keep them coming guys.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:24 PM
DC KNIVES

Bob,etchant doesn't do well on plants either.HAHA
For those having fun threading stitching needles,tear a piece of paper about 1"x 1/8" and fold in half over the end of the waxed thread,slides right through.Good for those of us getting up in years.
Mount a piece of angle( I use aluminum) to your bandsaw table to help resawing larger pieces of wood down to scale size.
I use old manila folders to make templates for all my sheaths.
Fresh snakeskins can be pinned out on a board and dried with baby powder.Thats it for now.Keep'em coming, Dave

Old 01-21-2002, 08:19 AM
P MOORE

OK, One more from me on kevlar gloves. When you do wear a hole in your gloves DON'T throw them away. start at the cuff and pull the string alose. now you have 75 to100 feet of cut resistant thread for sewing sheaths. recycle it works Paul
Old 01-21-2002, 04:18 PM
MJHKNIVES

A tip for an inexspensive horizontal vise; get one of those $10.00 woodworkers vises from Harbor Freight, 6" I believe, mount it to the front or side of your workbench. I had to space mine up higher with some plywood. Screw some particle board or plywood to the inside of the jaws, on top of that, glue some leather, true the material flush with the jaws using your belt grinder. You now have a padded horizontal vise that will not scratch blades or handles, it will also hold irregular objects with ease. I use mine for hand sanding my blades and handles mainly, but it works well for a lot of applications, like holding a rifle barrel while mounting a scope etc.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:35 PM
srjknives

Thanks, guys. It's exciting to open up the page each day a find out what's new on this list.

Old 01-22-2002, 08:47 AM
blckbear

Hey Mike I would really like to see a picture of your vise. Can you post one or send one via email?

Mike

Tags
art, blade, brand, building, fixed blade, forge, forging, grinding, guard, handle, hidden, knife, knife making, knives, material, noob, pivot, post, sheath, solder, stone, supplies, supply, tang, trap

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 680
2dogslovin, 2LBT, 300fps, 30Cal, 888captain, A.Callahan, AAK, acas, Adam, add147, aggieangler12, aith, ak47knifeworks, Al8236, alphametal, alterfurz, Altofsky, Andrew Garrett, andrewgbell, andrewoval, Andrew_Plummer, AndyS, angeloscotti, anton shostak, anvilstrkr, Any 22, ao1, aquamanlr, ArcticGunsmith, argel55, ariz gamebird, Art Swyhart, ArtB, aslil, atac, ATalley, AwP, Axeman58, Bamaboy, Bano119, barrelrcrdad, BarryC, BattleBorn, bayoubeast, bbeishline, BCROB, BDH1, Beararmsforge, bearghrills, Bearpaw Customs, bem_39503, ben belt, bgmills, bheff, BigCountry86, bigezwalekr, bigezwalker, bigjohn070, Bigjohnknives, Bill Vining, bill-62249, BillyJack92, Biotopp, BItPlz, bjmac, bking, Blackstone, BladePatriot, blindpig, bloomqmx, Blue Sasquatch, Blueheeler, bluesman, boatbuilder, Bob Bair, Bob McRee, Bob Warner, Bobasan, body mass, boodrow, BOP01, boty100, Brad Johnson, Breed, Brett Holmes, Brett Schaller, brezolin, brianhail, Bruno Marr, bspencer, Bud Mattox, Buffarilo, bushbuck, bushworker, Bustacapps, byrdrich, byron pretzel, C Craft, C.M. Arrington, C?sar Pereira, CACowboy, cadman, cajunbowhunter, Cake_14N, Calvin Robinson, Camerer, caribou, Carl Colson, cassio, Cat skinner, cbr900son, cc60, cdel, CE Brooks, cedarfluteman, cedarguitar, Chad M., chaddumbris, chall, Charles Vestal, Cheetah, chiefneckofred, Chiggidy, Chris Pauley, Christopher85, claxton, Cliff Krug, ClifW, clivehamilton77, clw3, Clyde Ulmer, cnccutter, coachk, cocobolo, coldsteelburns, coldtracker, Con, conman, contenderfan, cordless101, couldbe, Cowtown, Crapton042, crotalus, Crotalus69, Cthulhu, Cubane, curt crum, Cut One, cwiehle0, czarjl, D. Buzbee, D. Douglas Suth, dallas1, damon, damonw81, Dan512, danilad, darrell, dashcut, Daslogster, Dave Armour, David66, davidw, dbrunson, dcart, Deanarm, Dennis Paish, Desertblade, dgrayded, DickC, diesel197, Dietz, Dionysus, DJS_Skinner, dk19224, dkaschner, dmoye, doctorducttape, Don Adams, Don Robinson, donnymac250, Donovan5055, Donsylvest, Doug Adams, dpitt417, drhauer, drman63, drrector, dtec1, duck26, Ed of all trade, Ed Tipton, edge2886, Eikeland, ekremer, Eldon Talley, Eli Jensen, elkcub, elktaco, Engineer Mike, Eric A., Eric Branscum, erinroadie, ezed, F. Canabarra, ferris, Fguido5150, FGYT, fhf, Firehouse forge, fiserman, fjkratky, fkrow, flagaman, flintbone, flintlocknfur, flipeastman, flkingery, Ford Fairlane, Frank Castle, fred carter, freddy317, Freshwest, Full_Tang, Fulmaduro, fusionblades, fuzzy, Ga Red, gage karsten, GARob, Gary Mulkey, Gary Roberts, garygillum, GauGe1722, gemeriau, george nobles, germano utsch, Getulio mineiro, gh1, GIKNIFE, glassguy, gll, glyn.c, gmwoodturner, Golfer, grant, Grappo73, graveur, Gray Dog, greenbone65, grosnando, gsain, GTrenwithKnives, gugaga, hadley perdue, HaloMan87, hartswave, Hayden H, hbarncraftworks, hddriver1, Hilton Mendes, HogDad, hollisswitch, houston black, hoyer, HoytCarbmatrix, Hunter10139, Hurley, Huskysibe, I'M DK, ian vinhas, icarryacolt45, Icho, IFLY4U, Inman, IowaHarry, irishknifeworks, irondun, irongates67, Ironwood Nut, Itchibelli, J P, J.Babody, j.g.emmerling, J.W. Gross, Jackbarry3, Jackster, jacob7, James N, Jamey Saunders, jank, Jason Fry, jasonshane, JawJacker, Jay-Z, jayers3673, JayRod, jaysmith10, JB3, jdale, jdevarennes, JDMusic, jdsheriff, Jeffba, jeffbuzzz, jemoran, Jeremy, JeremyRayTurner, JerryG, jes4e, JGardner, JGB206, Jim T, jimbegor, jimroe, jkzook, jmccustomknives, jmoenck, joe sangster, Joe Smith, Johnnyjump, johnsparks, johnwsmith2, Jon Christensen, joneill, joorge, jpilgrim, JSAWorks, jtdesigns, jty322, Juggernaut, jus2311, kalia-007, Karl B. Andersen, Karl S, kcorn, ken dixon, Ken lowry, kenneth M, Kerrie, kestas, Kevster, KKB9750, knifeedgetx, Knifeman01, Knoj, Kostoglotov, kranker1450, kreimans, kwikemart, KYBWHNTR, LABlade, Lamar$$, lamiametalcraft, Larry Peterson, lbarks67, lcaron, lcsbecker, Lee B, Lee Barnhill, Leeco knives, Lilmonsternsa, Lisso, littletree, Loggerhead, LoneGoose, Lourival, LShull, lsknives, lunar4772, lytefoot45, M. Hutchinson, maddox, madmax888, manitou1, Marc, Marc585, Mark Smith, MarkStefan, Marlinspiker, MARVIN, mat.maste, Matt Bufford, matt souza, Matthew Gregory, maxmadco, mbcajun, MBro, mcerizza, MCThrills, mdevers49, merzb, metiezniks, Mglover, Michael Stein, MichaelStgt, Midnight, Mike Grecco, mike miracle, MikeL, MikeT, miketheknife, Mit, mitch p, Mitchell.trahan, mixajura, mjlthuston, MJP, mknife, MoblMec, MontrealSean, Mortenstr, Mr.GOC, mruth, MSmike1, MT Pockets, MTBound, MTDuke, mwhuston, mwilson, Naboyle, Nat Bassett, nate d., NCBoy, Neil Borja, newbie13, Next up, Niklas, NJStricker, NPD, Nprdavid, Oculist, OkieMike, oldfly, oldwolf, orp, Oso25, ostrick, otavio, Pairomedicsfish, PaMtnBkr, PaperPatched, Pappy1111, pappy19, patrick hubbard, paul bold, paulorocha, pcamillo, Pedro Fornari, Pelallito, peterbermingham, petere76, PEU, phil c, pieinthesky, pieter@rhinobag, PietF, piggy, Pilotbe40, pilozard, Pinto, pjelect, Plas62, PoolQs, possumcop, pparris, prisonbreak, pryor, PSarganis, psdavi01, Quadra, Quentis, R. D. Finch, racinca, racjarrett88, Radar, ramona, Randall Kepley, RandyScott, Ranger87, RantNRave, Ray Roberts, Rayant, RCKnifeworks, RClubb, rdelaune, rebender49, rebglass, Recurve, Red Shed Knives, Reddy2ride, RedstickJP, reefera4m, remist17, RHammer, richardwilliams, Richarpo, rick c, Rick Gorman, Rick Weaver, ridgecracker, Ringtail Knives, rlmcbee, rnielsen, Roadhazzard, robbrown, Robe338, Robert Dark, Robert Washburn, Robin Linck, rockhound, Rodrigo Lavieri, Rog, rollingrock123, Ron Aggus, Ron Reeves, ronaggus, rontwa, rscoffey, Ruggero, Run2trouble, Russ Andrews, Rustbucket, ryano, s mcfall, sahunter, salerno, Sallet, Samuel A. Wing, samuraistuart, SandLine, sanguip, sauloliveira, Scania, schmitt, Schuyler, Scorp2305, Scott Hanson, scott.livesey, scox, sdcb27, sdeering, SDhammer, Sean O'Hare, sebastiaan56, secretsquirrel, Sergio Segre, Sgp918, Shakudo, sharab85, SharpEdge0913, SharpTexan, shoprat, SHostetler, Shremick, simrun, skaworm, SKW, slash5john, smithy, SmokeyJay, Spevial111, squigly1965, ss knives, stalbot, Starfire06, Steve M, Steve Schnetter, SteveA1, stevesoftail, sticks, stone600, stoney327, stubby123, superman, sway, synthesist, T. Spencer, T.K.R., Tallpine46, TBridgers, teach, teejay1980, terry stewart, TexasJack, texasrecurve, The Watt Doctor, Thingmaker, throttlejunkey, Tigweldr, Tim Torson, timekeeper, Tmauney2, tmerkl, tmroper, Tom Lewis, tomwatson, tonym, Topcraft, ToppCatt, TopShot1990, torchart, TotallyC, totis, trav, travr, troglodyte, TroyMorris, Tslyter, tsterling, TUpton, turimurgo, tuskbuster, TWITHERS, twojs, txwoodchip, TYG, Ulfberht, Uncle Gramps, uraok, usmc_rocko, VanAnt, velociraptor, Verewolf, victordonald, viking-sword, Vinmuller, virgil4, vjohn, walifs, walkerbait, walnutbear, Warlock80, WBE, wcmesa, wei0401, Weld Inc, Whipster, whirlwind, Wild Bill, will70steed, Willem, William Schrade, willief, willquest, Willy, Win Heger, Win3855, winndhook, wishbone, WNC Goater, Wolfgang Ritter, wolfsniper6mm, wollie, womble, woodchuck, Wrecks, wtama, xiameng_236, xl54ss, Xlrrp, xspook2158, xuxy, Yragael, yuandongdy, Yun Lee, yxrancher, zappo, zeker, Zmanjax, zombielife