MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Guru

MSC had them? I missed them then. Graingers may have them too, but their website is hard to navigate. Like you have to write Jobber length carbide tipped drill bits or screw machine drill bits, real picky navigation. Sometimes I just call them. It's like looking for zippers under Z and finding them under I instead for Interlocking slide fasteners. I've seen screws under fasteners too, that was the Army.lol
Old 11-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast

Yep I found them at MSC. It was not cheap. I think the pilot and the counterbore together was $130. I only bought the one for quarter-inch Corby bolts since that's the only size I use. I'm sure it will be worth it though, I bought a new step drill for the last pearl handle I worked with and I wouldn't use that same step drill on another piece of pearl. That step drill was $24.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

I have "Big Book" that I forgot I even had. It is much easier for me to thumb through paper unless like you say you know the exact term or part number. If I remember correctly, I just went online and requested a catalog and one was sent to me. It might have cost $5. I don't remember. The great thing about MSC, they ship in one day. I ordered on Monday and got the counterbore on Wednesday.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:04 AM

Thank you, MSC is one very handy book and, as youmention, give great service!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 03-18-2022, 06:01 PM
Registered

Smile

[QUOTE=Steve;479902]Some ideas. Use them all, or whatever you like. I'm sure there are others out there.
Use brand new drills and counterbores, or at least "very sharp" ones. Carbide are best. Bathe it in paint thinner with a solder brush. Back up the "off side" when drilling to help stop "popping out"

Thanks again STEVE, working with turquois / mop scale first time, and using as a spacer on my partial tang.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:20 PM
Master

My suggestion would be to consider diamond cutting tools as an option. Water works well as a cutting agent and adding a drop of dish soap also helps. I've drilled scales submerged as well so no dust which makes clean up nice since I just pour that into the yard. This works well for stone which is why I use it for MOP.

Typical bits can fracture or cause the MOP to chip-flake out due to the flute design where diamond abrades rather than "cuts" through, leaving a clean hole. Just have to have a more gentle feed rate as the diamond can do the work.

Turquoise is pretty soft and easy to work, similar to marble where no specialty tools are necessary. Diamond makes it easier if available. AO abrasives are sufficient though I would suggest silicon carbide to grind them wet and reduce dust. Same with MOP.

Tags
advice, back, bee, blade, brand, drill, flat, grind, handle, heat, horn, hot, knife, make, material, materials, mother of pearl, paint, pearl, saw blade, sharp, small, solder, tips, woods