MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-03-2001, 12:12 PM
MaxTheKnife

Simple knifemakers vise

Here's a knifemakers vise. I use it for all my handwork. It is the most used piece of equipment in my shop. If you want more info, feel free to email me and I'll fill you in on all the gory details. It's really quite simple.

This is a top view to show the point where the 4" square tube is hooked up to the hunk of 6" angle iron. It's simply a 1/2" piece of allthread with a nut on each side and a large flat washer sandwiched in between to make turning the tube easier.

Here's a shot of the clamping part itself. Just two hunks of 2 X 4 the same length as the 4" square tubing. There's a hunk of knife steel taped to the one on top where the screws bear down on it. Pretty simple, huh?

And here's a shot of the intricate, highly complicated guts of the whole deal. Not much to it is there? But let me tell you, it sure is a handy dude! I just clamp it into my multi-position POS vise when I need to use it. I don't have a suitable place to mount it permanently without it getting in the way. You really have to be careful with it when you have a knife chucked up in it. You can hurt yourself real easy just by being a clumsy klutz like me. It's right at gut level and wouldn't take much to lay you open if there's any kind of edge on the blade you're working on.

I got this vise from Mike Cooper in Florida. He just sent it to me because he no longer had a use for it. Boy, I sure do! Thanks Mike, if you read this forum. Even if you don't, thanks.
Old 04-03-2001, 01:40 PM
Dana Acker

Cool, looks real handy.

Old 04-04-2001, 06:08 PM
GaryBauman

Knifemakers Vise

Hey Max, thats a pretty handy looking device. I should make one, thanks for all the pics of its construction. I usually just use a big C-clamp on the edge of the bench and let the blade stick out the same as yours. I dont buy into the idea that you need to have a board under the blade for safety. You just have to pay attention.
On a different topic, just so I dont have to waste space, I'm ready to put the handle on that camp knife and I have a question before I proceed. The maple I want to use is what my dad says is dry-rotted. Its still vvery hard, but is to the point where it has thin black lines through it. I've seen knives With this type that are called 'spalted'. Is that term used when the wood is from a dead tree? Does anyone have any reason this wood would not be good for handles?Its almost done but I dont want to put a flawed piece of wood on it.
Gary
Old 04-04-2001, 08:37 PM
MaxTheKnife

Re: Knifemakers Vise

Yeah, that's what I call spalted wood too. Go ahead and use it. If it needs a little touch up when I get it, I'll just dip it in my Minwax Wood Hardener. That's great stuff. Made for dry rotted wood. But, the wood is beautiful when it's spalted. I like it. I'm gonna need your address so I can send you this Blacksmith knife Gary. Email me with it when you get the chance. You probably already sent it to me. He he. Do it again if it's no trouble. I'd lose my head if it wasn't tied on so well.
Old 04-05-2001, 07:09 AM
Sweany

Max, I have a knife board and a v-board that I mount to the bench via a hole in the bench and a bolt. I just finger tighten it and it works fine. That vise is a much simpler version than the Moran style. K.I.S.S. works for me.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:48 AM
MaxTheKnife

What I like about it Mike is that you can work on any size blade from a tiny neck knife up to a sword. At first I thought it was a little too big but then I just realized that I had to 'think' smaller. It's also handy for use with a draw knife when working down a handle for a hammer or what have you.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:14 AM
Sweany

I had not thought about draw knife work. I like it

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives