MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Steel Addict

Watched your video - WOW!

Hi Steve. I just watched your video, "Making a Sub-hilt Fighter". What an excellent tutorial! There's a wealth of information in those two discs! I'm going to have to watch it a few more times in order to absorb all the details.

I noticed you used super glue to glue up the liners, scales and handle bolts. Do you ever use 2-part epoxy for those particular steps? I've always been too worried about having super glue (cyanoacrylate) fail somewhere down the road.

Jim
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM

I'm pleased that you are pleased, Jim.
I have used super glue for about 20 yrs. without a single failure. Granted, not many of my knives see much hard use, however. When I take a handle off, to replace it with something else, upon customers' request, It seems to be sticking to the tang just fine. Two SS bolts are a pretty good guarantee that things aren't going to go far. I use super glue because I can get a closer fit, one scale at a time, and also, I have seen epoxy release when buffing the tang and guard area and getting them pretty hot. Does not happen with super glue. When I remove an old Loveless handle, for replacement, most of the time that old epoxy is still holding on, also. Either way is acceptable, as far as I am concerned.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the feedback, Steve. I do indeed admire the final fit on your knives. And your video, like I said, WOW! I've watched it several times and I'm still picking up new information.

I have to admit, I'm truly envious of how easily you manage to create even grind lines on both sides of your blade. I know one can't shortcut his way through years of experience, but I'm getting a bit frustrated ending up with wonky uneven grind lines, especially when good blade steel is getting so expensive.

Ah well, practice, practice, practice... I'm going to invest in some cheap non-blade steel to practice my grinding (and my file work). I don't want to use jigs for this particular step. Seems too much like cheating. Yeah, I know. Lots of people like jigs.

Thanks again, Steve.

Jim
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM

You have just the right attitude.
Make some tool steel knives. Great using blades and less expensive for the steel.
Keep practicing. Concentrate, try to look at the wheel as a carving instrument that is sculpting the blade.
But............Practice is the real answer.
You'll do very well, but plan on some time, is all. Don't be afraid to mark lines for your edge and any centerlines, or guides for the blade.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 08-16-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Jigs are not the answer, practice makes the difference.
Geno
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Steel Addict

Agreed, Geno. It's taking me a while to improve on my technique, but it IS coming slowly. Just gotta remind myself to not to get too frustrated and to keep plugging away.

Jim

Tags
blade, digital, for sale, guard, knife, knives, post, scales, tang