MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Kalifornians ain't Yankees!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Enthusiast

I have a friend who is often consulted as an expert on historical arms and who has had, over the decades, access to some fabulous personal collections and who would take issue with the comment that original knives of the type all look as if made from a plough.......there were some very good artisans in the old South even if not much modern industrial base...

He was most insistent on assuring me that in the early 80's he examined one particularly fine D-guard of impeccable provenance (same family since made, and even a posed period photograph) which had a blade almost identical to the Thorpe to include 13" blade, and put the finish level at early Randall or Scagel.....it differed mainly by much shorter handle with wrought iron guard, the handle of red oak, and the blade seemed a primitive steel...

As for a photo of the "other side", if one means those champions of freedom who made one of the first forays into modern total war against unarmed civilian populaces while burning, looting, pillaging, and raping their way across the South on their way to Savannah, i think i took one shot of folk dressed as them....

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM

It is respectfully requested that "political commentary" be avoided as per our forum's rules.

The focus of this this forum is to have fun discussing all things Randall. Thanks for your cooperation!

Cheers!

David

Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Kalifornians ain't Yankees!
You got me there, Ronnie!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Born and raised in the great Commonwealth of Virginia and living only 90 miles from the capitol of the Confederacy I'm proud to be an American and a son of the South..... in that order. While I may share some of the local sentiments surrounding the war of northern aggression, name calling is never productive and this isn't the venue to discuss the social and political ramifications of events that were decided 148 years ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

there was no name calling and i don't think any historian of whatever persuation would argue a word i said regarding Sherman's march which this battle reenactment was a skirmish, but if you folk see it as political, then political it is, and i will only talk knives here, period.....

Last edited by mtngunr; 05-07-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM

There's no better time for all to sit back and enjoy a cool one while admiring a Randall Bowie....

Cheers!

David

Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Skilled

#### Jack you hit it spot on awesome job and information . Yes I am a Tennessean Born here and raised here I lone the history of Tennessee and live in the Middle of Tenn.

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM

@ mtngunr,

Could you tell us what the handle material is on your Thorp?

A few of pics would be appreciated too when you have a chance. Thanks!

Cheers!

David

Old 05-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Skilled

Sam, nice avatar. Making a detour away from the A of T, and Bragg losing the war at Chickamauga (the true turning point), since we are onto bowies? I?ll ask for some help.

Most of what Randalls I have are Viet era combat knives, and I want to focus on that period. But I got enamored by this bear bowie, and then had to have its running mate, the Model 2. I dated the bowie about 1971-72 based on a documented knife in one of the books. But I?ve since begun to think later, 73-74, same with model 2, though it might be later. I like the knife, both knives ? and when teenagers or kids look at my knives, the bear bowie is the first one they go for? impressive blade.

But they might have to be replaced with a 60s version. It?s bothering me that they are on the limit of the Viet era. Any thoughts on markers for age? Can I inch them back into 1973-72? Oh? spacers? I?ve seen several non-leather handled bowies with only 5 spacers.. all the way back into mid-60s. But these spacers seem a bit thin ? comments?

Oh well? maybe I?ll keep them AND find a 60s version AND find a 60s model-2....and maybe... One more question. Note sheath bowie and the camoflauge crud pattern. It has rubbed off, or not formed where fingers touch. I've seen it on pictures of other older sheaths too. Since Vietnam where I had my sheath viciously attacked by Viet Cong mold (hence black shoe polish on sheath), I've had a fetish about mold.. (and for that matter, moths...being a rug collector too, nasty worthless little bugs). Any idea of what this is? It looks kinda cool, but it could be terminated with extreme prejudice if destructive

Last edited by Jacknola; 05-09-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Hi Jack,

I usually don't say this to a guy, but "nice pair"!

Bowies were made in a separate room in the shop, and the guys assembling them didn't follow the spacer norm. You almost never see a 7 spacers on a non leather handled bowie during the 7 spacer years (Pre-'74). That said, I put your pair right on the cusp of the war's end as you do (~'73). If your Model 2 was earlier than '73, it would have 7 spacers. Those stones were shipped into '73.

I've seen that "camoflauge" pattern on many mint sheaths from that era. I really don't know the reason. Could be from mold or moisture or the leather tanning process.

Best,
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ron... appreciate your knowledge, better than my guess which is ... just good enough for government work. These are a "nice pair" (are knives female, like ships?), and they do look pretty cool together. The knock on them is ... no history and barely in the envelope. My first preference? "Beauty is as beauty has done..." But they will probably stick... because they are attractive, an get attention ... just like a "nice pair" should.

Here is the pic from Sheldon's book that helped stoke my acquisition... truth is, my friend Lonny Holmes had just gotten a very cool set of matching Bear-bowie and model 2, and I was keeping-up-with-the-Holmes'. I'm not sure what documentation Sheldon was refering to, whether his or a collectors. But, after reading all the books that call BB sheaths Johnson-made, I've become a bit more cautious about statements without footnotes. Using his later notes, one could tend to place this Bowie later. Your thoughts trump.

Since we are on Bowies and the War of Southern Independance, herre are some representative period portraits (there are hundreds of these... a very popular pose with knife and pistol). Most of these are very early war, and it seems Confederates were more inclined to display a knife.

One thing is apparent... Randall needs to upgrade the size of their blades and add a "D" to the handle of his Confederate Bowie. Dang, these things are cutlesses, not knives... but some do look almost Randall contemporary.

Last edited by Jacknola; 05-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Jack,

Based on your 12-8's spacer configuration, it "could" have been made in ~ '71. However, if it was made at the same time as the 2-8 then we're talking '73 or a bit later because the Model 2 would have 7 spacers if it was built in '71. I don't know if you have any providence on the knives or not. Even if you did and they came from the same owner, you can't rule out the possibility that he got the 12-8 in ~ '71 and liked it so much that he later ordered a matching 2-8 which was built and shipped in ~ '73.

Best,

Ron
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Fascinating photos of those Confederates posing with their Bowies.

I'm just curious though...

Jack, could you tell us which one of those gentlemen is our own Ronnie, aka jeepster?

Cheers!

David

P.S. Do you know what kind of wood the handles are made of on your Big Bear and Stiletto? I'm guessing it's some kind of Maple.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

Like those period knives!

Those D handles look like original version of the trench knives of WWI.

Tags
awesome, back, bee, blade, bowie, brass, coat, common, easy, guard, hand, handle, iron, knife, knives, leather, made, make, movie, pattern, primitive, randall, sling, steel, supply