MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Skilled

Heat Treating ATS-34 questions

What is the best way to do this? I really do not want to send the blade off to be heat treated, I think this is something I need to learn. Doing regular carbon steel is not much of a problem but as I understand it there are allot of other pitfalls when doing stainless. My goal is an RC of 59-60. Any help or guidance throught this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Skilled

Here is Admirals info.

http://www.admiralsteel.com/reference/sstltech.html
Old 12-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Skilled

Thanks Robert. Does not seem to be to complicated.

Heat Treating Information

Initial Quench Temperature - 1850?F-1958?F max

Hold for 30 minutes

Quench in warm oil

Hardening & Tempering Information

572?F - 1 hour - R/C 56-57

932?F - 1 hour - R/C 58-59

So with the initial quench I still need to wrap it with foil and then remove the foil for the quench in warm oil. Is this correct? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Master

There are 4 steels that are basically the same chemistry. ATS-34, 154CM ,RWL-34 ,CPM154. The last two are particle or powder metal types with finer more uniform distribution of carbides. More expensive but better for the maker and user.... While Admiral suggests oil quench they can be air quenched .Better yet is to "plate quench " in the foil. Search that for lots of posts. It can also be cryo'd for 1 or 2 additional points HRc....Some makers use a low temperature temper , 400-500 F and some the higher 900 F. Experiment and pick which is better for you. For those complex steels tempering should be 2 hours + 2 hours minimum.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Skilled

Thanks Mete. That give me allot more info.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Guru

Hi Wade, I highly recomend air or plate quenching. Do you have an oven or kiln to heat treat with?

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Skilled

I am almost finished with a forge that I am building. I was planning to put a thermocoupler on and see if I can control the heat well enough to use it as an oven too. Not sure if it will work out but I thought it was worth a try.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Guru

You'll have some trouble with the forge I think, you've got to stay relatively precise. You might be better off getting together with another maker locally to see if they can help out with heat treating the stainless.

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Skilled

You are probaly right, but I just thought I would try it and see if I could maintain and type of temp control. I do have a back up plan just in case. On the flip side my wife could see how much trouble I have and feel sorry for me and suggest I get an oven.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Guru

Now that could be a good plan

This quote pains me:
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Holloway
I am almost finished with a forge that I am building. I was planning to put a thermocoupler on and see if I can control the heat well enough to use it as an oven too. Not sure if it will work out but I thought it was worth a try.
It is not "that" difficult to do with a forge. Place a piece of 2-inch pipe inside the forge so you can put your blade inside of it. I have a forced draft blower on mine and to do this, a gate or ball valve to control the air flow is definitely required. You will not be able to properly regulate the air flow by a piece of cardboard over the fan intake. I have never tried to heat treat anything with a venturi burner setup so with that setup I can't answer.

Just make sure that the temperature inside the piece of pipe is well stabilized before attempting to put the blade inside.

It can be done but a heat treat oven is the best solution. For tempering, the forge is just not workable. You can use the kitchen oven for that but be sure to have it stablized to temperature as well and use a thermometer to verify that it is actually at the right temperature. Don't trust the setting on the oven. It can be way off.

Craig

Tags
blade, forge, knife